Yorkville E12 intermittent HF?

Loren Jones

Sophomore
Jun 25, 2011
Hampton Roads VA
I have 2 of 4 yorkville E12's that go in and out on the horn. This is independent of level so it's not the "protection" kicking in due to excess power. I thought it was a bad contact on the 1/4" jack. Switching to speakon inputs made no difference though. It seems that moving the cable sometimes can reproduce the problem whether using the speakon or 1/4". I'm no electronics repair guy but I'm guessing there is some problem with the connection of the jack to the crossover board? The local music store looked at them and couldn't reproduce the problem.

Anyone have advice? Send the crossovers to yorkville?

Last edited:
Re: Yorkville E12 intermittent HF?

Loren.....

As usual with all things audio, avoid the "local music store".......or simply ask them where they'd take a speaker to get repaired/reconed. Do what you can to find a competent local tech who can find the problem. Also try asking guitar amp repairmen for referrals. Or keep up with the wiggle tests......

Good luck

Check the internal connections. Also, check the Biamp/Full range switch.

Do they misbehave simultaneously or independently?

(Some music stores are just plain awesome too!)

Anyone have advice? Send the crossovers to yorkville?

I had several crossover problems with these and with some other yorkville cabs, so I actually ripped the crossovers out and ran them biamped, which worked better anyway. My bet is that it's a crossover issue, a couple of times I experienced what you described. I still have a pair of E12's kicking around that get used occasionally.

Check the internal connections. Also, check the Biamp/Full range switch.

Do they misbehave simultaneously or independently?

(Some music stores are just plain awesome too!)

It seems they will do it independently. I did go ahead and move the biamp/full range switch back and forth to no avail.

I had several crossover problems with these and with some other yorkville cabs, so I actually ripped the crossovers out and ran them biamped, which worked better anyway. My bet is that it's a crossover issue, a couple of times I experienced what you described. I still have a pair of E12's kicking around that get used occasionally.

I would like to do that but I'd be short amp and DSP channels:(~:-(~:sad:

They belong to the church and I'm just gonna recommend they send the crossovers to Yorkville or try to see if there is a Yorkville authorized service center nearby.

Other than this lack of reliability they meet our needs just fine and don't sound half bad.

Loren.....

As usual with all things audio, avoid the "local music store".......or simply ask them where they'd take a speaker to get repaired/reconed. Do what you can to find a competent local tech who can find the problem. Also try asking guitar amp repairmen for referrals. Or keep up with the wiggle tests......

Good luck

Well it was an independent local store that has a staff repair guy, but I don't know how knowledgeable he is. Another guy from the church took them down there. I didn't know he was even taking them. Gotta see if Yorkville has an authorized service center nearby.

There are 8 screws holding the crossover in. You can remove it in seconds.

Check for cracked solders.

Also, I'd look at the spade connectors on the HF driver through the crossover cutout. Note the polarity and color of the HF connectors before removing them.

My money's on the female spades.

If they're loose, squeeze them gently with some pliers to close the "rolls/crimps".

You could send them to an authorized facility and have it done under warranty, or be done in 15 minutes or so.

When you remove the crossover are there actually 2 pc boards that are held together by screws and standoffs? Then a set of pins that connect between the 2 boards? I think those sometimes oxidize and cause problems like you are describing. So take them apart, lightly rub/scrape the pins to remove corrosion. Spray with contact cleaner. Possibly slightly bend them so they will fit tighter when you put it all back together. Spray the the male AND female parts. Connect and disconnect them a couple of times to aid in the cleaning. The last time I messed with something similar I put some auto battery anti-corrosion spray on it before I put it back together.

If the speakers are accessible you can also send signal to them with the crossover in your hand and give some components the tap and wiggle test. It shouldn't take much pressure at all to cause a component with a bad connection to cut out. Of course you have to be careful to make sure the movement on one component isn't actually causing the one beside to move enough to go intermittent and it's really the problem one. Once you get the area where a broken/cold solder figured out you can generally tap lighter and lighter until you for sure find the one component that's really the problem since it should take the least tapping of all to show trouble. Then reflow it. If you're not sure, reflow everything in that area on the board.

Those have protection bulbs as well don't they? Make sure those are OK and the filament is intact. You might reseat them and spray the base and socket of them with contact cleaner as well.

The crimps on the connector where they crimp to the wires is always possible for the culprit as is the connector just being lose where it connects to the driver. But I suspect something more inline with the above will actually be the answer.

When you remove the crossover are there actually 2 pc boards that are held together by screws and standoffs? Then a set of pins that connect between the 2 boards? I think those sometimes oxidize and cause problems like you are describing. So take them apart, lightly rub/scrape the pins to remove corrosion. Spray with contact cleaner. Possibly slightly bend them so they will fit tighter when you put it all back together. Spray the the male AND female parts. Connect and disconnect them a couple of times to aid in the cleaning. The last time I messed with something similar I put some auto battery anti-corrosion spray on it before I put it back together.

If the speakers are accessible you can also send signal to them with the crossover in your hand and give some components the tap and wiggle test. It shouldn't take much pressure at all to cause a component with a bad connection to cut out. Of course you have to be careful to make sure the movement on one component isn't actually causing the one beside to move enough to go intermittent and it's really the problem one. Once you get the area where a broken/cold solder figured out you can generally tap lighter and lighter until you for sure find the one component that's really the problem since it should take the least tapping of all to show trouble. Then reflow it. If you're not sure, reflow everything in that area on the board.

Those have protection bulbs as well don't they? Make sure those are OK and the filament is intact. You might reseat them and spray the base and socket of them with contact cleaner as well.

The crimps on the connector where they crimp to the wires is always possible for the culprit as is the connector just being lose where it connects to the driver. But I suspect something more inline with the above will actually be the answer.

Great info too. Looks like a little project for Saturday

Update is that the tech at the local music store did re-flow many of the solder joints on the crossover boards when another guy from church brought the cabs over to him. I didn't know that when I posted, but in the one use since then they have worked fine. So thanks for the advice. It appears you guys were right on.

Loren