12v Eco project sound system

Re: 12v Eco project sound system

brilliant!

ta very much
its all starting to make sense [i'll enjoy the moment at least]

BTW: sub all glued and waiting for it to go off. then driver amp and party time :)

dwc

Test results!
1xsmall enclosed sub horn (tang bang w8)
12 volts
50 Watt amp / class d amp
Car stereo loss pass filter

First we tried cab in full range from 50w amp. Ok sound levels decent. muffledness, presume from being driven full range. Distorted sound, think course is something to do with cab and wood (mdf) vibrating. Also we made using buiscit joints and though lots of pu glue perhaps they rattle.
Then we tried using the low pass filter from jonnys car stereo (50w). Now this generated some nice bass though our horn.spacious and with depth and feeling. We were pleased. At about 50 0/0 volume. Still vibrational distotion, but dot sounding like from driver or signal source (iPod /320kbs mp3's).
Then wired this class d board I brought. In full range wasn't great. Sounded like line level was too low. Best results were using the phones output from the other amp. Into my 25w class d modual in mono ( btl) mode. Not massive db. But at low levels in full range some nice depth and less of the muffledness of before.think this modual runs upto 24v so even in mono mode we probably only reaching 20w.
Also tried my amp on an old tweeter horn I've been hoarding. Powers this beast easy and wig high pass think would be great.
So still need to try wig my amp modual and low pass perhaps at higher voltage.
Dwc

Test results!
1xsmall enclosed sub horn (tang bang w8)
12 volts
50 Watt amp / class d amp
Car stereo loss pass filter

First we tried cab in full range from 50w amp. Ok sound levels decent. muffledness, presume from being driven full range. Distorted sound, think course is something to do with cab and wood (mdf) vibrating. Also we made using buiscit joints and though lots of pu glue perhaps they rattle.
Then we tried using the low pass filter from jonnys car stereo (50w). Now this generated some nice bass though our horn.spacious and with depth and feeling. We were pleased. At about 50 0/0 volume. Still vibrational distotion, but dot sounding like from driver or signal source (iPod /320kbs mp3's).
Then wired this class d board I brought. In full range wasn't great. Sounded like line level was too low. Best results were using the phones output from the other amp. Into my 25w class d modual in mono ( btl) mode. Not massive db. But at low levels in full range some nice depth and less of the muffledness of before.think this modual runs upto 24v so even in mono mode we probably only reaching 20w.
Also tried my amp on an old tweeter horn I've been hoarding. Powers this beast easy and wig high pass think would be great.
So still need to try wig my amp modual and low pass perhaps at higher voltage.
Dwc

Hi Daniel,

I know that you are trying to build an efficient system, but also trying to get high spl and good impact from your speakers. Normally, those two parameters don't go together very well.

I just thought that I would mention that Rockford Fosgate has developed a different type of 12v amplifier that sounds great and is super efficient (well, around 80%) its called the "class BD" series, a combination of class b and d in the same design. I have personally used these amplifiers in the past for car audio competitions and won several times. You may consider trying to find one or more of these for your low frequency section. Fosgate has this topology patented, so you will have no luck finding a "discount" version of these amps. Though, finding a used amp on the secondary market or ebay may work perfectly for your system.

good luck with your design!

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod...y_id=19&item_id=108232&locale=en_US&p_status=

thank you tim
ill look into it!
really appreciate your input!
i remember Robert mentioning that this could be a good solution for us.

dan