A&H QU Onboard Preamp Assignment

Re: A&H QU Onboard Preamp Assignment

They break. Something in the power supplies goes poof and they don't power up.
(There's something that messes up with faders , but it's not a gig ender)
I can, off the top of my head, think of 10 local people who have had to return their SL for service. 5 of them have had tits up gig ending failures
2 of those 5 went through 3 boards (ea) before giving up.

(I also know people with hundreds of gigs and no problems, but I'm not rolling the dice)

Other than your stories about "local people", I have seen no evidence of the kind of Personus failure rates that you continue to talk about. I and many others have had no problems with their Studio Live mixers. There has been a bunch of them sold and if they are failing at the rate you state, there should be a lot of data available on the subject. If you can present some of that data than please do. Otherwise........

Other than your stories about "local people", I have seen no evidence of the kind of Personus failure rates that you continue to talk about. I and many others have had no problems with their Studio Live mixers. There has been a bunch of them sold and if they are failing at the rate you state, there should be a lot of data available on the subject. If you can present some of that data than please do. Otherwise........

I suspect the causes of the most egregious failures have been found, documented and fixed. New-ish production has likely incorporated the necessary fixes and I doubt we'll hear about frequent and/or catastrophic failures of recent or future vintage.

And why are we discussing Presonus in the QU thread, anyway?

I suspect the causes of the most egregious failures have been found, documented and fixed. New-ish production has likely incorporated the necessary fixes and I doubt we'll hear about frequent and/or catastrophic failures of recent or future vintage.

And why are we discussing Presonus in the QU thread, anyway?

Reason I mentioned the Studio Live was because the QU was called "best in class" but it doesn't have multiple iphone support w/FOH lockout which is critical in my market (I lost another gig last night due to that)

Mentioned the Presonus failures so people wouldn't say "buy a presonus". The most recent failure that I know about was 3 weeks ago. That particular board (16.4.2) was about 1 year old.

The Allen and Heath looks really nice. I'd get one if they had multiple iPhone support w/FOH lockout.

Don't want an X32 either. Still not willing to buy from a company who's success was built on IP theft. Although if someone else doesn't get the multiple iphone support out soon, I may have to.

Reason I mentioned the Studio Live was because the QU was called "best in class" but it doesn't have multiple iphone support w/FOH lockout which is critical in my market (I lost another gig last night due to that)

Mentioned the Presonus failures so people wouldn't say "buy a presonus". The most recent failure that I know about was 3 weeks ago. That particular board (16.4.2) was about 1 year old.

The Allen and Heath looks really nice. I'd get one if they had multiple iPhone support w/FOH lockout.

Don't want an X32 either. Still not willing to buy from a company who's success was built on IP theft. Although if someone else doesn't get the multiple iphone support out soon, I may have to.

I don’t get this part of the market – sure it’s great to tune the monitors with an iPad or iPhone etc. but come performance time why would you want to rely on multiple cheap none diversity line of site radio links operating at 2.4 / 5 GHz in a public access radio band. Why?
Both Behringer and Allen and Heath offer relatively cheap solutions for each member of the band to control their own mix while retaining some reasonable level of reliability … and every punter in the venue is not going to want to steal it quite as much as your iPad.

Re: Can we make this the QU Thread?

Jealousy??.
I think the QU will take over the entry level market. It's simple, and sounds really good. And who knows what Allen n Heath's R&D department has in store.

If A&H and the QU series is going to do that, they have alot of catching up to do.

I agree that for what is effectively positioned as the digital Mixwiz, it makes sense to prevent unusual routing schemes causing issue further down the line. Having seen how many X32 users are getting confused by the fixed blocks of eight initial routing structure, it makes sense for A&H to eliminate this kind of potential issue.

As for individual monitor mixes - whilst the ME1 unit may seem expensive at around £400, when used as an alternative to the iPod/iPad/iPhone method it's clearly much more stable and less likely to cause problems for all users, as it's much simpler to both setup and operate.

Also if A&H release an app as has been requested, it inevitably will eat in to potential sales of their own excellent bespoke solution.

Sent from my GT-I8160 2

I agree that for what is effectively positioned as the digital Mixwiz, it makes sense to prevent unusual routing schemes causing issue further down the line. Having seen how many X32 users are getting confused by the fixed blocks of eight initial routing structure, it makes sense for A&H to eliminate this kind of potential issue.

As for individual monitor mixes - whilst the ME1 unit may seem expensive at around £400, when used as an alternative to the iPod/iPad/iPhone method it's clearly much more stable and less likely to cause problems for all users, as it's much simpler to both setup and operate.

Also if A&H release an app as has been requested, it inevitably will eat in to potential sales of their own excellent bespoke solution.

Sent from my GT-I8160 2

If the band already has iPhones and are used to adjusting their monitor mix that way, it is going to be hard to get them to want another solution.

From a cost standpoint, if the mixer has the ability to handle multiple remotes like this natively, then there is no incremental cost to the setup either. It is a pretty nice solution IMHO.

5Ghz is much more stable and trouble free than the overcrowded 2.4Ghz band. I have been mixing wireless on 5Ghz for about 8 months now without any issues at all..... although I do still carry around a laptop and an ethernet cable for a wired connection just in case ;)

If the band already has iPhones and are used to adjusting their monitor mix that way, it is going to be hard to get them to want another solution.

From a cost standpoint, if the mixer has the ability to handle multiple remotes like this natively, then there is no incremental cost to the setup either. It is a pretty nice solution IMHO.

5Ghz is much more stable and trouble free than the overcrowded 2.4Ghz band. I have been mixing wireless on 5Ghz for about 8 months now without any issues at all..... although I do still carry around a laptop and an ethernet cable for a wired connection just in case ;)
Precisely my experience as well.
..dave

It would seem that A&H is delaying the inevitable multiple iPhone/iPad mix capabilities in the QU series as they provide the ME personal mixing station for that purpose. By making the provision for the wireless band mix, they would be cutting their own knees out from under them. One makes them money, the other doesn't.

Now, the QU does A LOT. Best in class? I don't know. I just bought one. Met my needs parameters. QU drive is a first on this "price-class" of mixers. Some of the Soundcraft owners lament that lack on their boards. In many ways, a step up from the Studiolive. Development on the original Studiolive has stopped, and shifted to the AI, as to be expected. Time for me to shed the old and buy the current.

I also sympathize with the idea that the hardware is capable of more, but software development lag, the need to KISS, and the need for model differentiation will keep "all the possible features" out of the QU. For me, it is the lack of an offline scene editor - I suspect that will come with time. A&H provided the DCAs which was a sore point and a reason to go to other "entry level digitals". A&H software has yet to crack the possibilities of their hardware. Some will lament lack of DANTE support. By the mixer that has the feature set you need at the price you're willing to spend. Actually, among the offerings, Soundcraft, Studiolive, A&H QU, Behringer, Mackie and QUS (others?) there is not a dud. Some do more; some do less. None do it all.

frank

Yep. When I tell people they can't mix their ears with their iPhones, I hear:

"Johnny's-Budget-Sound lets me mix my own ears w/my phone. Why should I pay you more and not be able to do what makes me comfortable?"

They don't care why. They just want it.
And the majority of working bands in my market are on IEM's

I am sure that A&H are not too keen on putting features into the Qu that would undercut their GLD or their ME mix station sales; however, if they don't do it, they risk losing market share to the X32 which does have these features.

I came from a MixWiz and would have loved nothing more than to have upgraded to a Qu-16. The lack of DCA'a and remote wireless mixing (at that time) was compelling enough for me to overcome my aversion to Behringer products (that and thousands of posts from reputable professionals proclaiming the product good).

I am sure that A&H are not too keen on putting features into the Qu that would undercut their GLD or their ME mix station sales; however, if they don't do it, they risk losing market share to the X32 which does have these features.

I came from a MixWiz and would have loved nothing more than to have upgraded to a Qu-16. The lack of DCA'a and remote wireless mixing (at that time) was compelling enough for me to overcome my aversion to Behringer products (that and thousands of posts from reputable professionals proclaiming the product good).
I just last Friday had another conversion to self-mixing IEMs. Literally downloaded the X32-Q app at the gig during setup and showed him how to use it during sound check. He was absolutely exuberant afterwards about how well it worked. No way this fellow will be satisfied with anything but from here on.
..dave

No one in the entry-level market buys a console because it sounds really good.

I think that sound quality makes a difference. What I am not so sure of is that there is much of a difference in sound quality between most of the entry level digital mixers in the Qu market. They all sound quite good .... in the hands of someone that is capable of making a good mix.

I do believe that in this class of mixer, features are beginning to play a bigger role in buying decision since there isn't enough differentiation in sound quality to shake a stick at.

It's more than quantity of features at a price point. Longevity, support, how well the operator can interact with the features, how well the console shows what is necessary, etc. I'm sounding like a post Bennett wrote a few years back...

It's more than quantity of features at a price point. Longevity, support, how well the operator can interact with the features, how well the console shows what is necessary, etc. I'm sounding like a post Bennett wrote a few years back...
Agreed. With respect to a live performance, the importance of the difference in sound quality between any of the current crop of <$2k digital mixers is several decimal places to the right of the skill and talent/experience of the operator. The challenge now is to evolve the UI and workflow to meet the needs of the various users -- from the mix-from-stage musician all the way through to a fully customizable workflow for various pro-level needs. That's the frontier me believes.

..dave

I think that sound quality makes a difference. What I am not so sure of is that there is much of a difference in sound quality between most of the entry level digital mixers in the Qu market. They all sound quite good .... in the hands of someone that is capable of making a good mix.

I do believe that in this class of mixer, features are beginning to play a bigger role in buying decision since there isn't enough differentiation in sound quality to shake a stick at.

I heard a "value" mixer in very good hands recently. Good enough mixing that I think I actually heard the "value". Not disappointing or unpleasant but more the sonic signature of the design/build to a price point that leaves little room. As JR has pointed out before, the entry level sounds a lot better than it used to, and the componentry it takes to do that is largely commoditized; it's feature set and ergonomics that differentiate in contemporary markets.

My observation has been that withing a given price class of mixer they tend to have similar "sound" until you overload something or twist the EQ knobs... and the way a desk responds to the user's desires or intentions pretty much define that user's opinion. In the "straight wire with gain" mode, there *shouldn't* be much in the way of audible differences. Where SWWG differences are most apparent are when you jump between price classes.

The GLD has both the personal mixing system and lets you connect a bunch of remote devices at once. They have an iPad app for individual mix control. Personally, I can't see trying to mix on an iPhone though. The screen seems too small to be effective.

Sent from my iPad HD