Actually MIXING on a tablet/ipad

Re: Actually MIXING on a tablet/ipad

I've been enjoying the freedom of walking around and mixing my QU24.

About the only thing that I have trouble with is the finger pinching movement to change the "Q" of a parametric eq setting on the screen.

It could just be me.

Best regards,

John

I've been enjoying the freedom of walking around and mixing my QU24.

About the only thing that I have trouble with is the finger pinching movement to change the "Q" of a parametric eq setting on the screen.

It could just be me.

Best regards,

John

John...

Use both hands.

Place the index finger of one hand somewhere on the boundary of the screen (I like a corner), then use the index finger of the other hand to simply "swipe" one way or the other to narrow or widen the Q.

DR

John...

Use both hands.

Place the index finger of one hand somewhere on the boundary of the screen (I like a corner), then use the index finger of the other hand to simply "swipe" one way or the other to narrow or widen the Q.

DR
Wow. I've had problems pinching/spreading with different apps. Good solution. Wish I had thought of that. Very cool. Thanks, Dick!
frank

Just to emphasize the need for redundancy - last night's gig had a hiccup in that the wireless router failed. I had no spare router, but fortunately there was a computer store nearby - I was able to get another wireless router and get it configured in time for the show, but if it had been later at night or if I was at a remote location, I'd have been out of luck.

I didn't have time to properly lock down and optimize the router's config, and at one point there was some sort of disruption which delayed my mute from dis-engaging on a mic - it was several seconds late, missing a cue. I'd emphasize again, aside from having spares, make sure your wireless config is optimized.

Yah, with the DL1608 I carry a spare power supply, two preconfigured routers and at least two control surfaces. Plus a little Yamaha MG82CX as a backup. The spares take up little space and I get to pretend I'm a real grown up provider ;) .

I have only run into a few instances where I had a problem with (yes) Waves Multirack and latency such as GTR. But since then, I have been very diligent in selecting only those FX that have extremely low or zero latency. I rely on C6 for a number of my channels (vocals, guitars) to ensure I get the sound I'm looking for.

Art
I use Multirack with a BR-1 and a Presonus 32R. I would love to be able to access Multirack on my iPad. Have you had any luck with this? Thanks.

Here's the trick I did while touring using an X32 and no FOH.

I used a laptop and a tablet at the same time. On the tablet you can leave it on the channel faders or DCA's that are the most important. Do everything else on the laptop with a mouse. This way you ALWAYS had a finger on the important channels, and I could navigate anywhere else with the laptop and tweak EQ or FX or whatever.

I kinda hate mixing on just a tablet by itself. I'm always leavinng the faders to adjust something, then having to go back to the faders to ride a solo. It's a lot of back and forth. The dual tablet or Tablet/Laptop method is almost as good as having a dedicated surface.

One more bonus feature is it's dual redundant. If one device goes down you have the other. You could go so far as to run one device on 2.4ghz and the other on 5ghz, or hardwire the laptop and wifi for the tablet, etc, etc.

I use to not like it, but the past 4 years or so I have mixed almost exclusively from an ipad at most of my shows. In most cases, it was due to not having a traditional foh position or foh was located in a bad spot. Some shows, it was just easier to set up the mixrack side stage and be done with it, no extra setup time and work...and the M32 stayed in the trailer.

You do need a solid connection or it can be a pain...but once you got that setup correctly, its pretty solid.

Do I prefer faders...yes. but I have grown to appreciate the benefits often times out weigh the bad for using tablet control.

A few months ago, maybe a year... SFN had a run on new registrants dredging up "legacy" posts that have been dormant for years. A few turned out to be various flavors of bad actors and David/Bennett dispatched them forthwith. Others made their posts and mostly never participated again.

Retired now so doesn't really matter but fwiw I did jump into the world of no faders. Acquired an X-AIR18, an RCA Viking 10” android tablet, and a basic Netgear wireless router. The learning curve was much shorter than I feared it would be. The wifi hiccups however, although minimal, were slightly disconcerting.

After a bit of trial and error the set up I arrived at was to use a laptop hardwired either at sidestage or front of house and the tablet wireless for roaming about. Did quite a few successful gigs before packing it all in. I found mixing on a windows laptop to be really easy and oddly satisfying.... plus the power/weight/size/simplicity was tough to beat.

And that's..... the rest of the story. Good day.