"All unread posts"

Reactions: Ron Kimball
If you find new posts by selecting "New Topics" (which aren't new topics, they're new posts), after you have read what you want there is no "Mark as Read" button on that page. You have to go back to the "Forums" tab to be able to mark as read.

Mac

I noticed that as well. And I think it's not even new posts, but unread posts. Not sure why it's named so.
I agree, having a quick link on every page to Mark All as Read would be nice.

If you find new posts by selecting "New Topics" (which aren't new topics, they're new posts), after you have read what you want there is no "Mark as Read" button on that page. You have to go back to the "Forums" tab to be able to mark as read.

Mac

Sounds like two requests here:
  1. Keep the Forum subnav bar visible on all Forum / Search pages (see image below). I think the larger issue is that any page not including /forum isn't treated as a Forum page, which this already should be sticking by default. We'll workaround this on our server for now, and file a ticket with vBulletin to resolve the issue.
  2. Rename "New Topics" to "Unread Posts"
Thanks for the feedback.
We'll implement as much as possible on our own, and are working with vBulletin / Tapatalk to resolve larger issues in future SW releases.

Sounds like two requests here:
  1. Keep the Forum subnav bar visible on all Forum / Search pages (see image below). I think the larger issue is that any page not including /forum isn't treated as a Forum page, which this already should be sticking by default. We'll workaround this on our server for now, and file a ticket with vBulletin to resolve the issue.
  2. Rename "New Topics" to "Unread Posts"
Thanks for the feedback.
We'll implement as much as possible on our own, and are working with vBulletin / Tapatalk to resolve larger issues in future SW releases.

Still no "Mark as Read" on the list of unread topics, and going back to Forums page to hit "Mark Channels as Read" does not clear out the topics that link to news articles. If I hit mark as read and then immediately do a serch for unread posts I still get all the links Bennett posted.

Mac

Still no "Mark as Read" on the list of unread topics, and going back to Forums page to hit "Mark Channels as Read" does not clear out the topics that link to news articles. If I hit mark as read and then immediately do a serch for unread posts I still get all the links Bennett posted.

Mac

Missing "mark as read" on search page: we need to move results page under /forum and this will be resolved. Either that, or we'll add a menu here.

Not clearing articles: Will file this as a bug with vBulletin.

Thanks for letting us know, Mac.

Missing "mark as read" on search page: we need to move results page under /forum and this will be resolved. Either that, or we'll add a menu here.

Not clearing articles: Will file this as a bug with vBulletin.

Thanks for letting us know, Mac.

Still waiting for articles to clear, I have 2 pages that show up every time I search for unread topics.

Mac

I guess there is another link that marks the articles as read too. Someone just needs to create a link that does both actions.

In addition to having to go to 2 different pages to mark posts as read (some of which are just links to the articles on the news page), I now have to log in every time I visit the site. Even though I was just there an hour ago and I'm at the same IP address. I'll check back in 6 months to see if it's fixed.

Bu bye...

Mac

In addition to having to go to 2 different pages to mark posts as read (some of which are just links to the articles on the news page), I now have to log in every time I visit the site. Even though I was just there an hour ago and I'm at the same IP address. I'll check back in 6 months to see if it's fixed.

Bu bye...

Mac

I assume 'Remember Me' is checked? I don't see any issues in logs over the past day. It sounds like vBulletin has some known issues on cookies though. Below are two items addressed in v5.4.2, released this week. We'll be pushing out the SW update over the weekend.

Cookie Updates
A number of cookie related issues have been fixed:
  • All session cookies have been updated to follow session only rules.
  • The expiry of "Remember Me" has been increased to 365 days. This excludes Facebook which is still 30 days.
  • Updated HTTPonly cookies to work more consistently.
  • ForumRunner will now properly delete cookies when the user logs out.
  • "Remember Me" cookies will no longer be overwritten by session timeouts.
Topics
The "Mark Channels Read" link has been removed from the Forum sub-navigation on new installs. This link has proved problematic and hasn't worked consistently. A new "Mark Channels Read" link has been added to the bottom of the Forum List on the Forum page. Individual forums have their own link at the bottom of the page.