Amazing...

Re: Amazing...

Was there ever a DDoS attack? I saw fingers being pointed but no evidence or followup. Considering that DDoSing a site can result in considerable legal charges, this armchair quarterback is calling that play a hoax.

Until I see evidence otherwise, I'm going to stick with the original assumption that the slowdown was either a fuckup or a deliberate slowdown orchastrated by the new Admin.

Not a hoax.

There were multiple DDOS attacks.

Tom, no disrespect, but I suggest you and others end the slanderous remarks unless you have full knowledge of the situation. If any of you really knew what a DoS or DDoS really was, you'd understand why your and PSW staff's comments on the matter are pretty non-sensical.

I have first hand knowledge of what ports were under attack and from what IPs those attacks came from.

While not truly a DDOS, they were in total acting like a DDOS.

Keith, Chad, Ernie, and Doug await my post mortem.

I can back Tom on this. What now Ryan.

Guy Caiola posted this on the new LAB today

Quote: said:
PS- Some of you may have noticed some strangeness in speed and accessibility of the old forums this week. Believe it or not, it was unrelated to the new forums and was on the server side of things. Talk about bad timing! It looks like it has been resolved.

Well that sort of puts a new spin on things. It just went from being a cost-cutting measure to being a preventative maintenance measure. If I understand that correctly.

Was there ever a DDoS attack? I saw fingers being pointed but no evidence or followup. Considering that DDoSing a site can result in considerable legal charges, this armchair quarterback is calling that play a hoax.

Until I see evidence otherwise, I'm going to stick with the original assumption that the slowdown was either a fuckup or a deliberate slowdown orchastrated by the new Admin.

Not a hoax.

There were multiple DDOS attacks.

Tom, no disrespect, but I suggest you and others end the slanderous remarks unless you have full knowledge of the situation. If any of you really knew what a DoS or DDoS really was, you'd understand why your and PSW staff's comments on the matter are pretty non-sensical.

I have first hand knowledge of what ports were under attack and from what IPs those attacks came from.

Guy Caiola posted this on the new LAB today

Quote: said:
PS- Some of you may have noticed some strangeness in speed and accessibility of the old forums this week. Believe it or not, it was unrelated to the new forums and was on the server side of things. Talk about bad timing! It looks like it has been resolved.

Well that sort of puts a new spin on things. It just went from being a cost-cutting measure to being a preventative maintenance measure. If I understand that correctly.

Since when is cost and maint. been mutually exclusive?

I didn't mean to imply that. Like I said, that was stated just a bit different in that post. I don't remember reading about the FUD forum being in such bad condition before.

Maybe you didn't catch the earlier posts that got deleted. But there was a lot of talk about bandwidth, server space, etc. Here it is presented as more of a disaster waiting to happen (something that can't just be fixed by adding more equipment at it).

I seriously think you have been misinformed. That's what.

The next time you drive through my state, pay an automated toll, are stopped by the police, go to an airport or pay taxes keep in mind that it was members of my group and I who were instrumental in the design and implimentation of those networks and services. Protocol analysis is no mystery to those educated in such and equipped to do so. I have not been misinformed, I am informing you.

Until you pony up some proof this is just slander.

This discussion has gone on long enough.

People I work with, drink with, and consider my friends are on both sides, if there are sides, of what I going on. I certainly don't have enough information to make a judgement call, and I probably have more than most. I am sure there is a lot more to be found out. Until then, it pains me to see these sorts of arguments that do nothing to benefit the community.

I recognize that we all want to talk about what is going on. That is why I allowed this thread to stay open as long as it did.