annoying icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Roberts

Graduate Student
Jan 12, 2011
MS
www.resotune.com
Is it possible for that facebook(?) icon to be any more annoying? When I open a thread to read a post the whole thread jumps up and down.

I don't know if this is peculiar to Safari browser, but it has managed to make spending any time with a thread open unpleasant.

Is it possible to tone down moving pretty much the entire screen up and down?

JR

Re: annoying icon

Version 5.0.4 (6533.20.27)

It looks like it is alternately pushing two different versions of the icon text... one version has last word "like" of the sentence rolled over to the next line, This alternate parsing of the sentence wrap is what is causing all the posts below to move up and down by that one line space. The header remains stable.

Is that icon supposed to be blinking or something to draw attention? Whatever,, it sure it getting my attention.. :-(

JR

I zapp most of that annoying shit with NoScript, a JavaScript blocker that runs in Firefox. I don't see any of the MyFace/SpaceBook crap.

I went into the Safari preferences and disabled java scripts and that stopped the annoying bouncing up and down... lets see if any other stuff stops working.

I think I wrote a java script once to do a redirect for an old web site of mine, but I try not to get that fancy.

JR

Version 5.0.4 (6533.20.27)

It looks like it is alternately pushing two different versions of the icon text... one version has last word "like" of the sentence rolled over to the next line, This alternate parsing of the sentence wrap is what is causing all the posts below to move up and down by that one line space. The header remains stable.

Is that icon supposed to be blinking or something to draw attention? Whatever,, it sure it getting my attention.. :-(

JR

John,

I'm having trouble reproducing the issue on my end. Version 5.0.4 (6533.20.27).

You're talking about this icon, right? The icon shouldn't be blinking at all. Even changing the window size, I can't get "like" to wrap to another line.

Screen shot 2011-04-13 at 11.13.26 PM.png

Interesting... I can make it stop, 3 different ways so far.
1: disable java scripts.
2: disable minimum font size,
3: or increase the minimum font size to 12.

At 9,10, or 11 with minimum font size enabled, the line wrap toggles at maybe 2Hz rate, making the whole page bounce up and down.

I can fix it on my end but there is something weird in how that icon text is formatted or something parses for line length/font size.

The fact that turning off java scripts stops it, seems like something active is going on...

I am not a website guru, but that line of text that isn't stable, does not show up in the source file for the web page, so appears to be pushed from somewhere else?

I suspect the minimum font size feature is not enabled by default, so that may be a relatively isolated personal affliction.

carry on...

JR

John,

I'm having trouble reproducing the issue on my end. Version 5.0.4 (6533.20.27).

You're talking about this icon, right? The icon shouldn't be blinking at all. Even changing the window size, I can't get "like" to wrap to another line.

View attachment 1089

It wraps for me.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 0

At 9,10, or 11 with minimum font size enabled, the line wrap toggles at maybe 2Hz rate, making the whole page bounce up and down.

Weird. I enabled minimum font size, and the same thing happens here. I'll make a post on vBulletin's forum about that issue. It also happens on the actual vB site, so it's not an issue localized to our installation. It must be a bug in their script.

I am not a website guru, but that line of text that isn't stable, does not show up in the source file for the web page, so appears to be pushed from somewhere else?

Yup, that script is pushed directly from Facebook.

Kool... I figured out how to make it quiet for me with selection of font size.

It isn't clear to me if the bug is their icon or in how apple's safari handles what should be valid content.

let them sort it out...

Thanx

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.