Another powered speaker comparison

Re: Another powered speaker comparison

To Caleb and Brian - I was very skeptical about them too because of previous nightmare gigs involving multiple BOSE but after using this new breed of bigger better higher powered sticks I am officially converted.

Oh yeah just to stir this pot and back to the original post - how about including the powered BOSE stick and obligatory koolaid subs?

The Ramdell sticks I used were a prototype of 8 x 5" + 1" powered by Crown Xti amps on top of a single 18 sub. I'm not sure what the Renkus Heinz use but I suspect they're more money and probably use some proprietary dsp box to make them shine.

I saw a youtube vid with Pat Metheny's soundman discussing the Bose sticks. He used 12 sets on stage and said the sound was good for about the first 8 rows. After that the big boys took over. Unless one is getting a setup gratis it sounds cost prohibitive to use these with a band unless the Ramsdell and Renkus-Heinz models are far superior to the Bose and even then how much will it cost, how many sets will you need, and how does that relate to cost/sound of a traditional powered spk? I have no idea.

No, the SRM450 sounds better than the K12.

I think you are right. I have heard the k12's on 5 different gigs and the sound is consistent enough for me to discard user error. I will have a 5-10 gig run with a complete K system next month. I already changed the mode to 'vocal ' during the first rehearsal. I have about had my fill of 1 way boxes anyway.

I'm looking at doing an acoustic/electric combo with 4-5 pcs an 3-4 vocals. From what I've read any of the "sticks" would only be good for very small venues with a mixer and even that would be pushing it for anything more than a duo. Reviews say the bass and coverage outdoors is also lost unless it's in a very close environment. If the "stick" works for you that's great but for what I want to do I don't see that as an option.

It really depends on how big a stick you carry.

supertower2.jpg

I saw a youtube vid with Pat Metheny's soundman discussing the Bose sticks. He used 12 sets on stage and said the sound was good for about the first 8 rows. After that the big boys took over. Unless one is getting a setup gratis it sounds cost prohibitive to use these with a band unless the Ramsdell and Renkus-Heinz models are far superior to the Bose and even then how much will it cost, how many sets will you need, and how does that relate to cost/sound of a traditional powered spk? I have no idea.

My thoughts are that they will be useful for most of the smaller events. Basically any gig that you would use a single powered top and sub this new breed of high powered stick with sub will do it better. Like many people I've owned and used the powered Mackie top and sub combo for years and grew out of them so I'm still familiar with what to expect from them. Of course there is a limit to what any speaker will do so when you need a bigger hammer...