Anyone Seen the Phonic S16 in Real Life?

Steve Milner

Junior
Jan 10, 2011
Washington, dc
www.dcsoundop.com
Hey everyone...

I'm curious, after all of the excitement that the Presonus SL digital consoles have generated, has anyone seen the Phonic S16 in real life? As I see more ads and info pop up in different magazines and catalogs, I'm interested in what those who have actually put their hands on it think about the experience.

I'm not in the market for one, or even remotely considering buying a console of any type at the moment, just curious to hear opinions. With a color touch screen and 16 real inputs, it is an interesting looking little package.... but I have never touched a piece of gear made by phonic, it looks well built in the ad copy, but who knows what the reality of the build quality actually is.

EDIT: Oh yeah... here is the link, incase you have not seen one at all yet. . .

www.phonic.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=49#download

Just to clarify again.... I am NOT in the market for this console, I am not in the market for any consoles currently... I am not considering buying this console for myself or anyone else currently... this is strictly an academic question.

Re: Anyone Seen the Phonic S16 in Real Life?

Hey everyone...

I'm curious, after all of the excitement that the Presonus SL digital consoles have generated, has anyone seen the Phonic S16 in real life? As I see more ads and info pop up in different magazines and catalogs, I'm interested in what those who have actually put their hands on it think about the experience.

I'm not in the market for one, or even remotely considering buying a console of any type at the moment, just curious to hear opinions. With a color touch screen and 16 real inputs, it is an interesting looking little package.... but I have never touched a piece of gear made by phonic, it looks well built in the ad copy, but who knows what the reality of the build quality actually is.

EDIT: Oh yeah... here is the link, incase you have not seen one at all yet. . .

http://www.phonic.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=49#download

Just to clarify again.... I am NOT in the market for this console, I am not in the market for any consoles currently... I am not considering buying this console for myself or anyone else currently... this is strictly an academic question.

i don't know anything about this phonic console you're talking about, but what you really should be looking at is a...

icon_razz.gif

yeah, just kidding...

actually, i'm curious about this desk too. i hope someone has actually seen one. like you, i'm not really in the market for a desk right now. but i still feel compelled to know...

and just think, if you cascaded a 64 input system, you'd be mixing 'quadra-phonic'...

brian

Those are ''Ease of Access'' modifications!
icon_lol.gif

Wall wart = FAIL. The end. I don't care how great the feature set may be for the price - this is ridiculous.

If this were made by Yamaha at a price point a little above the 01V96, I would probably own 3 right now. The back panel picture from the phonic website gives me good feelings about the product.

Aww crap... a wall wart.... are they effing serious with that!?

Maybe when you take off the expansion slot cover, you use those screws to fill the other empty holes...??
icon_eek.gif

I agree though....the wall wart makes this console a (non-starter) in my book for sure... even if it does have a cool GPS touchscreen... I wonder if they can get that hot sounding british chick from my GPS unit to give turn by turn mixing directions?

If this were made by Yamaha at a price point a little above the 01V96, I would probably own 3 right now. The back panel picture from the phonic website gives me good feelings about the product.

I noticed the phantom power switches look like the same type used on several of my kids' toys. That's some quality shizzle right their. On the bright side of the Tonka rechargeable car DC power jack, you can run the desk off some regular batteries. 12 D cells duct taped together ought to get 'er done
icon_wink.gif

Greg

12 D cells duct taped together ought to get 'er done
icon_wink.gif

Maybe that's what the ''Expansion slot'' is for?

Nah. That's where you store your larger waist size belt for when your girth increases due to all the extra Taco Bell semi-meat products you can afford with all the money you save trading in your Midanger Pro6 Ultradesk for the Phonic.

Greg

I noticed the phantom power switches look like the same type used on several of my kids' toys. That's some quality shizzle right their.

Look the same as the switches on the 01V96 to me.

I think it's the lack of masking on the switches that gives them a cheap look compared to the 01V96. Something about the shiny silver. I'll bet ya dollars to donuts that the Yammie switches are more robust though.

Greg

I'm not sure I want to wager on which bottom market desk shaved more cost off which component.

It's a losing bet.

I hate wall warts as well - but I'm old enough to now realize that it's a significant cost reduction item.

Why?

The entire FCC (and international) EMI testing / certification process for in-device power supplies is extraordinarily expensive.

I recently saw a very well done 4X8 DSP pre-production demo/mock up, superb on-board and computer UI, well and boutique built in Germany - where the anticipated unit cost difference between wall wart and on-board power supply versions was staggering for small production runs.

I've never really had a problem with my wireless gear - and it's mostly warts.

I'm learning to rethink this entirely.

To be honest the jokers who take these pictures have no idea what they are looking at so its QC problem in advertising.

As far as the Direct Outs I wish my 01v96 had Metal bolts or even the basic plastic ones around the omni outs and gain knobs. This is the only neg I see to the design. Although I have been using mine for almost 8 years with no problems I still use a velvet glove touch around the omni outs , gain knobs. Their wiggle is an unnerving feeling.

Douglas R. Allen

To be honest, the people who take the photo's are not ''jokers'', they are professional photographers, not audio people, but I agree it is a QC problem in advertising.

To be honest, the people who take the photo's are not ''jokers'', they are professional photographers, not audio people, but I agree it is a QC problem in advertising.

You must be or know professional photographers.

When your taking pictures for an add that a company depends on to sell your product and you don't notice missing screws like that then maybe your not qualified to take these pictures?

I can hang a sign above my garage. ''Dougs professional car care'' and have all the tools needed to work on cars. But with no total knowledge of cars it doesn't make me a professional to work on cars.

Sure its easy to say phonic dropped the ball supplying the board for these pictures. But my gut tells me these were done by someone in house by a joker who just didn't care. Just wanted his/her money.

A professional add photographer would have said ''Em' guys, wheres the screws?'' Kind of like taking pictures for Ford and not noticing a headlight or tire was missing.

Of course only my point of view and what do I know...Maybe there was a deadline for the shot and the rest of the screws had not arrived from China.

You can't teach common sense.

Douglas R. Allen

Could be they just cut those screws as a cost saving measure, and that photo is representative of the final product.

When I get early versions of the rack mount breakout boxes for the products I work on for my day job, they look a lot like that Phonic picture. Missing screws on the XLRs, nuts missing on the BNC connectors, etc. Sometimes they don't even have the top cover or rack ears. It seems somebody suffers from premature camera condition. They should have never let something like that get out the door.

Greg