Anyone Seen the Phonic S16 in Real Life?

Re: Anyone Seen the Phonic S16 in Real Life?

Maybe the guy building the desk was married and a little confused? His wife told him his days of screwing were over so he stopped building the desk?

Oh well. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Douglas R. Allen

So, has anyone seen one in operation yet?

This is the closest I have gotten to seeing one operate. . . Notice in the video, they have added the missing screws and nuts to the rear panel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_0AKJlXX0

If I was in the market for a console, the guy with the hipster hat and glasses in the video, would just about be enough on it's own to keep me from buying this console. Button up your shirt and take off the damned glasses if you expect to be taken seriously as a professional!!! How distracting!

Edit to add a photo of the mixer to the forum here, just in-case the company and it's website don't last forever. . .

am i the only one who thinks the voice doesn't match the video?

i smell adr...

The hat and shades don't really bother me.

ADR is quite possible,or they just had the SMPTE code off a frame or two.

What DOES bother me is that he, more than once, says ''council'' instead of ''console''

And the guitar strum in the intro seems ever so slightly out of tune.

Also, IMNSHO if the street price of this was closer to $1,000 than it will probably be to $1,500 then it might have a market.

After 25+ messages, no real feedback from an actual user of the console, and it's also really hard to find reviews on the thing, unfortunately. Hopefully it's a pretty good sounding board and functions well. On their predecessor Board, the Summit, they did a review video and it had a considerable amount of lag. On a side note... The Spanish version is quite mainly because they chose a voice that doesn't fit the guys voice. At all...
icon_rolleyes.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_2whocY5ME

Is this thing even shipping yet? I can't find price or availability online for it anywhere. Yet Phonic has posted a new firmware build. That being the case, I suspect it's still vaporware much like the Uli Digital Ultracheap® mixer sealed up in plexiglass case at NAMM. If it exists in the wild at all at this point, it's probably beta and users are under NDA. I would expect zero comments other than marketing hype.

Greg

After 25+ messages, no real feedback from an actual user of the console, and it's also really hard to find reviews on the thing, unfortunately. Hopefully it's a pretty good sounding board and functions well. On their predecessor Board, the Summit, they did a review video and it had a considerable amount of lag. On a side note... The Spanish version is quite mainly because they chose a voice that doesn't fit the guys voice. At all...
icon_rolleyes.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_2whocY5ME

It's fuckin' VAPORWARE except the for prototypes used in the videos.

I'm sure Phonic will thank you for your contribution to viral marketing.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

On their predecessor Board, the Summit, they did a review video and it had a considerable amount of lag.

Unless I'm very much mistaken the S16 is the Summit (they even share the same dodgy back panel photo on Phonic's site) - and while I've never had the (mis?)fortune of seeing one ''in the wild'' so to speak, you can most certainly buy the things (here, for example) over here in Europe.

Whether they're any good and whether anybody's buying the things is a totally different matter, but I don't think it's quite vapourware - it does seem like you can buy them if you felt so inclined.

Okay, it's vaporware in North America.
icon_smile.gif

Available @ Musicians Friend: pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Summit-Digital-Mixer?sku=581251

B&H Photo: www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/704595-REG/Phonic_SUMMIT_Summit_16_Digital_Mixing.html

American Music Supply: www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PHO-SUMMIT-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

Oh yeah... and Zzounds of course: www.zzounds.com/item--PHOSUMMIT

These are all marked as the summit... but like Josh just said... I'm not sure if there is actually any difference? What a strange company!

Summit? I was looking for the S16. I guess that's what I get for not looking at those catalogs when the arrive in the mail.

Never mind.

Summit? I was looking for the S16. I guess that's what I get for not looking at those catalogs when the arrive in the mail.

Never mind.

Yeah, I only started this thread after seeing the console in the Musicians Friend Catalog from back in November. It was a full page ad too, with a price of around $1800 if I remember, and the photo shows a mixer that does NOT say summit on it, and they call it the S16. The current website listing says summit though... I'm guessing that they don't know much more then we do at this point.

I used to put the latest MIX magazine directly into the bathroom for general reading... but since MIX now seems smaller then some of the local Chinese food menus I get around here... the musicians friend catalog got called into service...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Unless I'm very much mistaken the S16 is the Summit (they even share the same dodgy back panel photo on Phonic's site) - and while I've never had the (mis?)fortune of seeing one ''in the wild'' so to speak, you can most certainly buy the things (here, for example) over here in Europe.

From Phonic's site:

Quote: said:
Summit Name

Just a note for everybody in the US, if you've bought a Summit you've probably noticed that the unit and the documentation barely mention the name Summit on them. That's because the name in the US has been changed to simply ''Digital Mixer'' or ''Digital Mixer S16''. You can call it Summit if you want, everybody will know what you're talking about. But we're not going to be officially calling it that for the time being.

For people in every other country: Summit, Summit, Summit, Summit, Summit, Summit...