Anyone Seen the Phonic S16 in Real Life?

Re: Anyone Seen the Phonic S16 in Real Life?

Quote: said:
Summit Name

Just a note for everybody in the US, if you've bought a Summit you've probably noticed that the unit and the documentation barely mention the name Summit on them. That's because the name in the US has been changed to simply ''Digital Mixer'' or ''Digital Mixer S16''. You can call it Summit if you want, everybody will know what you're talking about. But we're not going to be officially calling it that for the time being.

For people in every other country: Summit, Summit, Summit, Summit, Summit, Summit...

Wrong naming convention. I'd consider an XL88 a 'summit' quality mixer. This one probably should have been called Foothill, or maybe Canyon. Of course, I should reserve judgement until I've driven one. As Steve Martin once said, ''I think a person should get to know someone and even be in love with them - before you use and degrade them.''

Greg

Ummmm, I may be missing something, but I bought my 01v96 for 1800 bucks and change. Why would I ever look at a budget mixer if it doesn't meet the ''budget'' requirement?

I have no idea if I'm reading your second sentence correctly, but not everybody has the connections you might have. The 01v96 v2 is $2,399 new, and Guitar Center definitely stopped with all the negotiating with the products to the general public, so a consumer who doesn't know any Yamaha dealers or where to get one used might think that buying that is the easiest or best way to go... Unfortunately...

I don't know anybody. I called Full Compass and talked to a rep. I bought the 01v96 VCM with ears, some rack plates and a pile of right angle XLR's and some other gear to mount it in a case. All of this came out to right at 2 grand. after shipping.

No special deals or anything. Just called.

I don't know anybody. I called Full Compass and talked to a rep. I bought the 01v96 VCM with ears, some rack plates and a pile of right angle XLR's and some other gear to mount it in a case. All of this came out to right at 2 grand. after shipping.

No special deals or anything. Just called.

I guess that's why I started this topic... I wanted to see if anyone had seen one in person and could attest to any specific feature set that would compel you to look at this console, as opposed to an 01v96. The November MF catalog has this in a full page, opposite of the Presonus SL24... which is obviously more expensive... so the price tag doesn't look so bad on the Phonic. The Presonus, although not for everyone, does have a substantial list of features that obviously appeal to some people more then an 01v... (built in firewire...cool iPad app...fat channel.. I'm sure there are more) . . .
I'm having a hard time seeing anything in the Phonic console that is all that different from an 01v. The screen is a HUGE step in the right direction, and I heard something about being able to input the ambient temp. to your output delays for compensation, so maybe there are some other cool things in the software that would make this a real choice for some people... but the complete lack of information about the product is just amazing.

And at the end of the day... the real question is, what kinda of sound quality is Phonic actually capable of achieving?

The screen is a HUGE step in the right direction, and I heard something about being able to input the ambient temp. to your output delays for compensation, so maybe there are some other cool things in the software that would make this a real choice for some people... but the complete lack of information about the product is just amazing.
You can get the manual online at http://www.phonic.com/en/summit.html#download. I get the impression that the temperature setting is purely to set the relationship of distance and time since it lets you set the delay based on a distance, I don't think it provides real time, automatic delay adjustment based on the temperature.