APB ProRack House H1020

Bennett Prescott

Just This Guy, You Know?
Staff member
Jan 10, 2011
Wallingford, CT
www.bennettprescott.com
I know this review dates to 2007, but I still encounter these desks all the time and have recommended them without hesitation to many. Still by far the best compact console money can buy. I wanted to help the APB crew out by bringing it over here, and hopefully others will have more to say, again!

If you ever want to have a manufacturer tell you to PLEASE don't buy their product, offer to do a Road Test of the APB Dynasonics ProRack H1020. I've been forbidden to lay any money out until well after this review is done, which is fine with me.

Any regular reader of these forums will be familiar with APB Dynasonics, the relatively new console company from New Jersey manufacturing high quality, great sounding, yet reasonably priced all-analog (so far) mixing consoles. Their first console, the Spectra, has garnered rave reviews across these forums and the entire industry, and is such a great piece of hardware that I bought one myself. So far it's making more money than I am, I get shows just for having it in my shop.

The APB crew has moved on from their success with the Spectra series consoles to build the ProRack series of compact, rackmount FOH and monitor consoles. The ProRack FOH has just recently started shipping, and demand is so great they're having to expand their manufacturing facilities to get over the initial wave without extensive delays. I used one at the ProLight and Sound show in Germany a few months ago, but most recently APB were kind enough to pull one out of production for me to fiddle around with on a real live show. Unfortunately, I only got to keep it for a little over a week, because Chuck (the A in APB) needed it for his booth at the InfoCOMM show in California next week (he'll be showing off all their toys at booth #7944).

The ProRack H1020 offers 12 mono input channels and 4 dual-mono/stereo input channels (20 mic preamps in total). The chassis design features an adjustable connector assembly that freely rotates and be set to three different angles relative to the front panel. Variable frequency high-pass filters are included on all input channels (Mono and Stereo) with a 20Hz to 400Hz sweep range at a 12dB per octave attenuation rate. The ProRack Mono input channels incorporate fixed high and low frequency EQ bands and two mid-sweep EQ bands with one-octave bandwidth. The EQ includes an EQ On switch with LED. The Stereo channels feature fixed high and low frequency EQ bands and a single mid-sweep EQ based on same Spectra circuitry. The ProRack-House (H1020) offers 6 aux send controls; each pair of sends switchable between a pre or post fader source. In the pre-fader position, an additional front panel switch determines if that pre-fader signal is derived pre or post EQ. Aux controls 5 and 6 may be switched to become a stereo pair. All Auxiliary mixes have TRS bus input and insert connectors, and XLR balanced output connectors. On the ProRack-House, the operator can assign the channels to Left-Right, Center and Mono mix buses and to analog subgroups 1-2 and 3-4. Large, internally illuminated Mute and PFL switches are provided along with 6-segment LED metering and high quality 100mm faders; the same type used in the Spectra series consoles. Each of the four main buses has TRS bus input and insert connectors, and XLR balanced outputs. The Left, Right, Center and Mono outputs may be individually switched from their normal output level (+4dBu) to mic level.

(some of that was hacked together from APB's product page, since I'm lazy)

So if you've only got a week in which to really work through a console, where do you take it? Why, to the Starscape Festival, a 16 hour long music event from midafternoon to sunup on the Maryland shore, of course! 5 stages of everything from bands to DJs, one of which had the honor of being mixed entirely off the new ProRack. Some photos:

I wasn't mixing, as I had 4 stages to hold down in one way or another, so I was running around and production managing. Tom Manchester was my go-to guy for the two smaller ''beach'' stages, with the Mackie TT24 on the bigger stage and the ProRack on the smaller. Between the two of us we got the tech I was given for the ProRack stage up and running, patched in, and then essentially left him alone for the remainder of the gig.

That stage had bands on and off all day until early the next morning, and with a minimum of equipment (and minimal experience on the mixing guy's part) managed to sound great the entire time. He said he found the ProRack easy to use, and while he started off with some excessive levels really abusing the board, he was well under control within a reasonable period of time and kept the music going. The board sounded great the whole time, as I would have expected based on my previous experiences with it. Any durability concerns should go out the window now as well, as this gig was LONG and FILTHY and REALLY ROUGH on the gear and the techs. It was nice to have gear that I could set and forget and leave some guy I'd never met to babysit, without regret.

As you can see, we didn't use the board in any sort of a factory approved manner:

And to show you how much dirt and dust there was (and it rained!) take a look at this speaker's grille after the show was over (it started the gig flawlessly clean):

So to wrap up, I'm pleased as punch with the board. It took a hell of a lot of abuse, sounded fantasic, and was certainly easy to use. Great sounding EQ, lots of routing, and swept high pass on every input round out an already powerful feature set. I'm definitely going to pick one up, and the monitor version when it ships, so that I can have a full featured no-compromise mixing setup even at small shows. If you've been wondering why there were so few options in the mixer world that are both rackmount and sound as good as a pro level console, now there's one more!

Re: APB ProRack House H1020

Bennett;

Thanks for moving this review over here...the ProRack is seriously my FAVORITE small analog console to get behind... such a great little package. A fellow (SFN) user, with whom I do a lot of work, owns one of these, and I am happy to leave my digital board at home in favor of the ProRack almost anytime.

Your post does highlight one issue that we have had... and that is finding a case that it will fit into, while still being able to access the I/O panel. We have been carrying it in it's original box, and just setting it up on a table / rack case with the I/O panel extended... this works just fine, but I think we would all prefer for it to have a real home to live in safely.

Have you found any off the shelf cases that work with this console ?? The road-ready RR19ru style would be perfect, but it is obviously far too shallow.

I know that an SKB pop-up mixer case would likely fit, but that's not a road we are willing to go down with a console of this caliber. We are looking for an ATA style solution.

Perhaps a custom case is in our future... and that's fine too... I was just curious if you have seen any other options, as you seem to have a lot of experience with APB products.

No matter how we have to carry it... it's still the best little analog console I have ever used... I'd seatbelt it into the front seat of the truck if I had to.

Steve,

I think I've seen one in an EWI case and it worked pretty well, kept the connector pod locked in in the intermediate setting and left room below for rack gear.

I have seen their CU-series cases with the mixer on-top and rack below to leave you with a big FOH rack (I use a custom Philly case, very similar to this for my 01v96) . . .

The issue is, we would want the APB to live in it's own case (more like EWI's MXC-series) so that it can be deployed with any one of a number of different FOH EFX/PROC racks that may be needed specific to each event.

It's seems like a custom case might be the ticket, something with a small doghouse most likely will be the way we go... I guess I was hoping someone here could say that (XYZ) case maker, already has plans for this type of case.

This one was in 2010:

I got the chance to use the ProRack last week at a local festival. 10 bands played through the ProRack that day. Our stage had that at FOH, along with 2 ADRaudio U103 on top of 3 ATA 118 subs per side. Two subs per side were used, one on each side was just lifting the tops a bit. 4 ADRaudio M1225 were used for monitors. The 4 monitor mixes were mixed from FOH.

It was a festival type setup, 4 piece drum kit, no more than 2 guitars at a time, 4 vocals, and a few DI's.

The entire system was incredibly linear. What went in was exactly what came out. The ProRack does not have a sound to it. Along with the ADR speakers, it is extremely transparent. The EQ on the ProRack, just like APB's other consoles is extremely responsive. The amount of output from those little ADRaudio boxes is amazing. Honestly, in terms of the output volume, we would have been fine cutting a 103 from each side.

The big complaint I've been hearing about the ProRack is the fact that there is no space to label the channels. I made a little workaround for that though. I put the artists tape at the lower corner, half hanging off. I then took another piece of the tape and placed it upside down, half on the first piece, and half on the bottom of the mixer. That worked for me.

A great feature on the ProRack is the high pass filter. I haven't seen those very often, or really at all, on rackmount mixers. Same with the digital rackmounts; my 01v96 doesn't have that without getting rid of an EQ band.

I like the little group faders on the upper right of the mixer. I ran the four vocals through each of those, to bypass the compressors for the monitor mix.

Everyone at APB did a great job fitting so much into the ProRack. I look forward to using it again. That, and Jason Dermer isn't actually that big of a douche bag! :lol: Every time I'm working with him, I end up learning something new, and he's really helped with getting my foot in the door in the live sound world.

View attachment 350

View attachment 351

View attachment 352

Steve,

We are in the same boat as you: We want a pro-level ATA case of our ProRack, preferably with a doghouse of some sort. I found some guy who had posted on the LAB about this sort of case, but he failed to get me the pics I requested and never followed through. At some point soon I'll get Jan-Al or someone to build a custom one for me if nothing easy pans out. Either way please let me know if you find a solution and I'll do likewise.

Steve,

We are in the same boat as you: We want a pro-level ATA case of our ProRack, preferably with a doghouse of some sort. I found some guy who had posted on the LAB about this sort of case, but he failed to get me the pics I requested and never followed through. At some point soon I'll get Jan-Al or someone to build a custom one for me if nothing easy pans out. Either way please let me know if you find a solution and I'll do likewise.

Yeah, it seems like a custom job is going to be the way to go. I don't think ANYONE who owns one of these little guys will mind at all spending a few extra bucks on a nice custom built home for it. Whatever the case ends up being, it will likely have room below the faders for a blank rack filler, to ease channel labeling. Getting easy access to the side-load power inlet will be important too I think.

I really cannot say enough about the quality and just plain enjoyability that has been built into this little console... makes me smile every time I get to step behind it.

A great feature on the ProRack is the high pass filter. I haven't seen those very often, or really at all, on rackmount mixers. Same with the digital rackmounts; my 01v96 doesn't have that without getting rid of an EQ band.

I couldn't agree more. In fact I think a sweepable high pass filter should be mandatory on all mixers. I find it to be one of the most important and useful features a desk can have next to mic inputs and a gain knob.

Greg

Hi Pascal-

Give Armando Cases in San Bernadino a call and see what they say. We've had them build a couple of things for us that had to hit a weight specification, and we're happy with the results.

I think I saw their pic of a MixWiz in a little doghouse case... give them a call.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc