Aren't we better than this?

Re: Aren't we better than this?

In case of misinterpretation, I am not personally offended, but do think it's very cheesy, not very creative, and in poor taste.

Those sorts of issues are of great importance to humanity, which begs the rhetorical question, if we truly agree with that, why does any of us post about issues of lesser importance?

Hello Jeff et al,

I agree with cheesy...

We post on issues of lesser importance because someone originated the post and we either agreed or disagreed...and, unlike other more important issues... this issue may be affected by the fact that most of the product manufacturers, that can affect their marketing ideas, scan these sites.

Hammer

ps... I meant no disrespect to the Original Poster ....

Last edited:

Those sorts of issues are of great importance to humanity, which begs the rhetorical question, if we truly agree with that, why does any of us post about issues of lesser importance?

Because we are cheeky monkeys and easily distracted.

JR

PS Life is too short to be serious all the time...

This is one reason why this is a great site. Differences of opinion can coexist here without descending into personal insults and the related drivel and ultimately thread-locking/deletion that some forums tend to display.

I am happy to be among this group.

:eek:) But... I'm sure on one or more occasions, that it was my drivel and insults that HAD locked threads on forums... ;o)

Hammer

I just had thread locked on another forum without religion, politics, or ad hominum to blame, while as far as I know the ad hominum is not outlawed, just the religion and politics. :)

This thread (over there) was a never ending stream of misinformation, and it was locked before I could correct one last doozy, where this poster was bragging about owning a pre-chinese build behringer mixer... maybe he meant a behringer copy of pre-chinese build mackie mixer... :-(

but apparently the subject was too hot for over there so that one got locked. it's still unclear to me if it was trolling by pro-behringer plants, or just mean crusty old guys, out for a verbal stroll, educating all the FNGs who don't know any better.

JR

Now we're gonna have to tie his hands behind his back. You know... to keep his hands off the... faders, yeah, that's it. The faders.

Yesterday I received an email from DiGiCo's distributor in Australia, Group Technologies which I felt was pretty disappointing.

The email was an add for the DiGiCo SD9 and featured a picture of a girl with extremely large and barely clad "assets" standing over a SD9 and holding a pair of interfaces called D-Racks. The add had the obvious tagline, "The Double D Pack."

Whilst I enjoy seeing beautiful girls as much as the next man, this add stooped pretty low in it's use of sex sells and reinforces a neanderthal male (and neanderthal sound male?) stereotype. I'd like to think that as audio professionals, we've moved past this type of exploitation. DiGiCo make great products for audio professionals, but this certainly lowers my view of the company and the distributor.

Best,
Michael

Ads like that are illegal in Norway, so I guess I'm biased.

While travelling I have never seen ads like that as commonly as in Oz, but mostly for stuff like bull bars and BBQs, not pro products like the SD9. Credibility takes a dive with me when I see ads like that.

Good on you for noticing and reacting :)

+1 and... It has been one of my greatest joys in life to "see" beautiful Women.

While the OP may have a point (although, very small point IMO) ... that possibly... using large Breasted Women in an Advertisement, somehow demeans them or the product.... I will say that, the Woman in the photo IS a Woman herself, and, because she has large breasts, or is young and attractive is not demeaning to her. If she didn't appreciate that men will hold a certain value for her looks or attributes, she was free to NOT be involved in the advertisement.

As a society, we do need to keep watch for abuse and exploitation, but, I wouldn't consider this Ad as exploitation, I'm sure she got paid some amount of money. (she may be making rounds showing and telling her friends about her Ad at this moment)

I also believe that this Ad's eye-candy is probably right on target for those that use this Console. This model of Console is not designed (although some knuckle-head will probably argue against my point) to be used in a high profile Corporate type environment such as Broadcast or some wel known, boutique, Recording Studio . The Console is marketed to the guys in the trenches working R&R, Country, Jazz, R&B, etc...LIVE shows.

And...if anyone appreciates young, beautiful, big-breasted Women...it's the guys in the trenches. ;o)

If it offends...please look away...

Cheers,
Hammer

The way I'm raised, if you put someone in an and just because they look sexy (usually women) you also devaluate women on two accounts:

Firstly, it implies that the woman is good enough to catch our attention, but not good enough to be knowledgeable about the product and sell it to us in another manner.

Secondly, it implies that women not good-looking enough to sell the product based on sex appeal, have less value.

I mentioned before that ads "like that" are illegal here. Obviously, beauty products are sold showing beautiful women, but girls in thongs spread accross the hood of a car is not OK.

it implies that the woman is good enough to catch our attention, but not good enough to be knowledgeable about the product and sell it to us in another manner.

By that same logic, if you use a female voice in an ad, but don't show her face, does that mean she's ugly?
the girl in the ad *could* be working on her PHD in astrophysics while moonlighting as a model.

If no one judges, then no one is judged.. OR we could make a big deal out of it and imply that all models are bimbos?

Jason

By that same logic, if you use a female voice in an ad, but don't show her face, does that mean she's ugly?

How on earth is that the same logic? To compare apples to apples, one would have to make the voice "sexy and steamy", so I guess moaning, etc, mixed in with the dialogue. That would make for an interesting radio ad...

the girl in the ad *could* be working on her PHD in astrophysics while moonlighting as a model.

Certainly, yet someone thought that the traits about her they wanted to display were ones that had nothing to do with the PHD...

I find it interesting that you seem to be assuming that I have bad thoughts about the girl. That's not the case at all. The point is that this girl has many positive things about her, why make her into a identity-less set of boobs? I would be surprised if you think it would be a great idea for your daughter to be interpreted that way by the viewers of an ad. In other words, if it was someone special to you, you might object to them being put in an ad for the sole reason that they look like they might be nice to fuck.

If no one judges, then no one is judged.. OR we could make a big deal out of it and imply that all models are bimbos?

Jason

I think the bad judgement was made by the people who thought that the way to make someone buy a mixer is to show them someone they would like to have sex with. They're misjuding men as a whole, and they're not making it easier for beautiful women to be judged on other merits than their looks.

Enjoy the ad if you wish. I'd rather see a famous sound tech in an ad like that! Don't care how he/she might look :)

I find it interesting that you seem to be assuming that I have bad thoughts about the girl. That's not the case at all. The point is that this girl has many positive things about her, why make her into a identity-less set of boobs? I would be surprised if you think it would be a great idea for your daughter to be interpreted that way by the viewers of an ad. In other words, if it was someone special to you, you might object to them being put in an ad for the sole reason that they look like they might be nice to f**k.

This whole thing is about claiming to know what "other" people think, or how they think.
I think the bad judgement was made by the people who thought that the way to make someone buy a mixer is to show them someone they would like to have sex with. They're misjuding men as a whole, and they're not making it easier for beautiful women to be judged on other merits than their looks.

If you want to inspect some motives, how about asking why most people ended up working in the music business. Even if few admit it I suspect they aren't doing it for the wealth or job security.

Enjoy the ad if you wish. I'd rather see a famous sound tech in an ad like that! Don't care how he/she might look :)

Since I haven't said it yet today,,, really?

There are civilians being killed in Syria and other real obscenity going on in the world.

JR

This whole thing is about claiming to know what "other" people think, or how they think.

If you want to inspect some motives, how about asking why most people ended up working in the music business. Even if few admit it I suspect they aren't doing it for the wealth or job security.

The post I responded to seemed to imply that I was critisizing the girl, when the whole time it was about the add for me.

I noticed it the first time when you wrote about people getting into the music business for the sex and I honestly thought "what???" as I couldn't relate at all. I for one got into it by accident because of an interest in electronics that developed into a love of music. I honestly get that impression about many of my peers, but people are different so I'm certain what you say applies to many people. Thing is: There are sooooo many other great places to meet girls, why bother with the hard work and long hours for that alone?

There are civilians being killed in Syria and other real obscenity going on in the world.

JR

Certainly, and horrible stuff like that is on my mind all the time, which makes it delightful to discuss a topic "closer to home" (and one we can work on right here right now) when I'm on the forums to kick back.

Certainly, yet someone thought that the traits about her they wanted to display were ones that had nothing to do with the PHD...
The point is that this girl has many positive things about her, why make her into a identity-less set of boobs?

And I think my point was that virtually no one in a print ad gets a back story. why should we treat the beautiful women differently?

taking peoples' feelings out of the equation, if she was fictitious (drawn just for the ad, but realistic enough that you wouldn't know the difference) would you still have the same issues?

Jason

And I think my point was that virtually no one in a print ad gets a back story. why should we treat the beautiful women differently?

Jason

That's a good point. I still feel like it's more relevant to see a sound tech in a mixer ad, or someone looking like they're about to drive in a car ad, etc, as this promotes more of what the product is about.

taking peoples' feelings out of the equation, if she was fictitious (drawn just for the ad, but realistic enough that you wouldn't know the difference) would you still have the same issues?

Jason

Another good point. I still think using the sexual traits of people as a whole to sell something completely unrelated isn't doing anyone any favors. And I doubt it actually will sell many mixers.

What if she was a really hot car? Are we devaluing the car by trying to associate its desirability with the product?

Perhaps the ad is tacky, but I do not think it is morally depraved especially as it was printed for another culture which I am not a member of. Many many cultures have a much more matter of fact approach to sexuality than we do here.