Bass drum or Kick drum ?

Bass drum or Kick drum ?

• Total voters
Re: Bass drum or Kick drum ?

I used the terms interchangeably but I like Brian's distinction, so I may stop that and call then kick drums.

I can imagine a similar distinction regarding how the drum is played (kick drum uses foot pedal, bass drum a hand beater).

JR

Last edited:

I used the terms interchangeably but I like Brian's distinction, so I may stop that and call then kick drums.

I can imagine a similar distinction regarding how the drum is played (kick drum uses foot pedal, bass drum a hand beater).

JR

this is correct. A kick drum gets kicked.... :)

someone also mentioned that it helps distinguish from the bass guitar on stage. If i hear the word bass, I assume you're talking about the bass guitar. It's also why You shouldnt refer to freq. as bass or treble. say 'lows' or 'highs'. So then when you say 'I need more bass in the drums' or some such, it can only mean you need more bass guitar in the drummer's monitor instead of several other possibilities....

Calling it 'kick' for easy identification live actually makes a lot of sense.

However I always tend to associate the usage of 'kick' with house, techno and other forms of EDM, contrasting the processed sound common in those genres with a natural bass drum, manually processed with a pillow or some other such dampening device.

I can't say I've ever seen a marching band instrument I'd want to amplify or record in a live situation, with the exception of the military bands at the Edinburgh Tattoo, who I'm sure have their own folks for that purpose.

beater click or no beater click... that is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the boxy sounding untuned percussive instrument or the no hole jazz kit in a rock band.

or take arms against the drummer who dares be a vocalist too.

and by opposing, end the gig before it starts

to die: to compress; to gate no more

and by a compression threshold to say we end the bass/kick discussion

the backbeat and the thousand natural shock-mounts that the Gretch is heir to, 'tis a conga gation.

Devoutly to be wished for a pearl kit. to trigger, with a DDrum.

To sleep, to dream of musical cowbells, aye there's the rub

for in that sleep of death we may still hear squeaky hi hat stands

when we have shuffled off to Buffalo

must give us paws, theres the paradiddle

that makes calamity of acoustical music

for those who would bare the whips and scorns of using hot rods

the compressors wrong, the proud mary's next

the pangs of the despised piccolo snare, the slow delay.

the insolence of of the bongoist

the patient merit of the unworthy cocktail kit

when he himself might make quietus noise on his yamaha

...does this soliloquy ever end?

Kik

And it's not on channel 1, the vocals start on 1

Bass guitar in channel 1, kik in ch. 2..... Back from my studio days when we printed the bass on track 1 as it was minimally impacted by tape edge damage.

Worked with an act that carried a "short" monitor desk, so the inputs were in order of wedge importance... vox first, then keys, acoustic gtr, electric guitars, bass, kik, snr, hh... and the toms were last.

YMMV and all that.