Behringer line array

Re: Behringer line array

I originally posted the driver source question not to inquire about Turbosound past practices, but rather about Behringer future strategy. Also, I was more interested about volume capacity, as well as logistic efficiency (location of transducer plant vs Behringer speaker factory). I've only owned a few Behringer speakers before, and I have no complaints about the enclosure design and construction, but felt that transducers could be more transparent, and horn designs could use some help. In a very rough sense, the China made transducers are in a different league than those manufactured in US and Italy, in both sound and cost. Of course there are exceptions. Deep inside I am hoping through some business leverage, we can see those high quality Italian transducers, B&C for example, come down in unit price, if there is significant volume to be distributed over. I would hate to see the Turbosound-designed line array housing the same transducers in the previous Behringer entry-level speakers. I have no doubt that Turbosound engineers will do wonders to get the design aspects right, including horns. And I hope that Behringer's redesigned line array does hit a home run like the X32 in both quality and affordability, as currently in the market there is a wide price gap between arrayed vs non-arrayed speakers of the same sound (quality & loudness) class. I have a feeling we'll be pleasantly surprised at NAMM if the revamped product does surface then.

I originally posted the driver source question not to inquire about Turbosound past practices, but rather about Behringer future strategy. Also, I was more interested about volume capacity, as well as logistic efficiency (location of transducer plant vs Behringer speaker factory). I've only owned a few Behringer speakers before, and I have no complaints about the enclosure design and construction, but felt that transducers could be more transparent, and horn designs could use some help. In a very rough sense, the China made transducers are in a different league than those manufactured in US and Italy, in both sound and cost. Of course there are exceptions. Deep inside I am hoping through some business leverage, we can see those high quality Italian transducers, B&C for example, come down in unit price, if there is significant volume to be distributed over. I would hate to see the Turbosound-designed line array housing the same transducers in the previous Behringer entry-level speakers. I have no doubt that Turbosound engineers will do wonders to get the design aspects right, including horns. And I hope that Behringer's redesigned line array does hit a home run like the X32 in both quality and affordability, as currently in the market there is a wide price gap between arrayed vs non-arrayed speakers of the same sound (quality & loudness) class. I have a feeling we'll be pleasantly surprised at NAMM if the revamped product does surface then.

Yes, Sean, I see. It does not hurt to hope for the best. Sorry, I did not mean to misdirect the thread. It does occur to me that the future can sometimes look brighter when history is ignored. Wishing you all the best.

Dear all,

Allow me to introduce myself.
My name is Andrew Pardoe and I am a Senior Manager, Acoustics at TURBOSOUND. I have 18 years of engineering experience and have worked at several world renown audio brands including TURBOSOUND several years back. I have recently re-joined the company to design transducers as well as complete speaker designs. I was involved in the Milan speakers we just launched and in the re-design of the ELX line array which will be re-introduced under the TURBOSOUND brand.

TURBOSOUND has always designed transducers either wholly or in partnership with a transducer manufacturer. In the earlier days this was mainly PD (Precision Devices). Even when using transducers from such well known brands as PD, B&C, Celestion and others, the driver design would be specified, tweaked and often completely designed by TURBOSOUND engineers to uniquely match the horn or loudspeaker enclosure as necessary.

Around ten years ago, with the launch of the Aspect series of point source loudspeaker systems, TURBOSOUND started manufacturing compression drivers in house with unique and also patented designs. Since then and with the launch of TURBOSOUND line arrays, mid-range drivers have also been manufactured in house currently at the Partridge Green facility, soon to be moving to Kidderminster where MIDAS and KLARK TEKNIK products are manufactured. As Joe Sanborn correctly stated, the company also buys drivers from sources such as B&C, Celestion, PD etc.

TURBOSOUND is committed to only using the highest quality components from the most technologically advanced suppliers, and manufactures components in house where significant performance improvements can be realised. We have since enlarged our transducer and acoustic engineering team accompanied through a large hiring initiative. The goal is to invest heavily in acoustic and driver research and technology.

When MUSIC Group acquired MIDAS three years ago, they invested US$ 4 million in a large R&D building in Manchester which is now a high-tech research centre. Also, within the last 3 years since the company purchased MIDAS, they increased the number of engineers from the original 8 to 60 currently and more are being hired. If you ever have a chance, drop by as it has become an impressive place and the guys are working on incredible stuff.

The same is now happening with TURBOSOUND and strong investments are already flowing into the brand. We are soon opening an acoustic research centre in Manchester so the MIDAS DSP engineers can work hand in handwith the acoustic engineers. Since the acquisition, the company has acquired a license for patented multi-beam steerable line array technology because products of this kind are on the roadmap.

The NAMM show will be a big eye opener with a huge roll out of new TURBOSOUND products. If you can’t get to the show make sure you read up about the new products on the internet.

I hope this answers your questions.

Happy New Year everyone.

Andrew Pardoe
Senior Manager, Acoustics
MUSIC Group
TURBOSOUND

Last edited:

Andrew, thank you for taking the time out of what has to be a very busy schedule to elucidate the history and future of Turbosound's design and manufacture process. I have extensive first hand working knowledge of the the ins and outs of Turbo's touring products. I and my company have exclusively deployed Turbosound speaker systems as our tool of choice since the early 1980s. We are very heavily invested. We had formed many long and deep relationships at every level within Turbo over the years. They have all evaporated. The changes at Turbo go to the very core. The inconvenience/hardhips this has created within the ranks of many long standing Turbo employees is I am sure an unavoidable consequence, but a bitter pill for me to swallow personally. No pain, no gain, I suppose..
I am optimistic that all of these changes are going to lead to a leaner, smarter, more competitive Turbosound and that it will continue to be a trend setting leader. My company has grown and flourished over the years in our partnership with Turbo. We will see what the future holds. Wishing you all the best....and much success.