Behringer line array

Re: Behringer line array

I am gonna sound really stupid, but can't help myself but express this thought. Wouldn't Behringer benefit from some sort of joint venture with a large renowned transducer maker, one that's somewhat tied to this very forum? Of course unless it's already happening, and I'm just being utterly ignorant.

I am gonna sound really stupid, but can't help myself but express this thought. Wouldn't Behringer benefit from some sort of joint venture with a large renowned transducer maker, one that's somewhat tied to this very forum? Of course unless it's already happening, and I'm just being utterly ignorant.

You mean someone like, oh, say... Turbosound?

First initial is the same as this forum master, who is also working for that company :lol::roll:

Yeah, we know you're talking about B&C. But MusicGroup already owns TurboSound, and IIRC, Uli mentioned that the current VaporWare Behringer line array product was being pulled for redesign to accommodate new engineering and ways of thinking that came with the Turbo purchase.

Yeah, we know you're talking about B&C. But MusicGroup already owns TurboSound, and IIRC, Uli mentioned that the current VaporWare Behringer line array product was being pulled for redesign to accommodate new engineering and ways of thinking that came with the Turbo purchase.

Whose transducer did Turbosound use? Celestion? I was just curious if the high yield B&C automatation facalities would be a good match for the Behringer volume.

Afaik precision devices was in the past a department of turbosound, so they did have there own loudspeaker manufacturer back then.
It was sold a couple of times. Nowadays precision devices and fane are from the same (but previous PD) owner.

Aren't they (Precision Devices) hand made? Very high quality stuff as far as I can tell. Thanks for the info.

I don't believe there have been any PD components in Turbo products since the Aspect series. Much of their stuff, with features like finned magnets on reverse mounted speakers, nested co-ax style mid / hi transducers, and "beer can" hf drivers look like they come from outer space.

Dear Guys,

Please allow me to post a few corrections and clarifications:

The BEHRINGER ELX Line Array has been shipped and our US distributor Starin should have a limited amount in stock. You may want to give them a call as the products are offered at a good rate. Since then TURBOSOUND has redesigned the product line and it will be re-introduced at NAMM.

TURBOSOUND has always made their own drivers, with in-house production in the UK. They are also employing drivers from B&C, Celestion and others brands, for their high end products such as Flashline etc.

Since the acquisition by the MUSIC Group, TURBOSOUND has hired additional driver engineers to focus on in-house technology and IP.

Happy New Year.

TURBOSOUND has always made their own drivers, with in-house production in the UK. They are also employing drivers from B&C, Celestion and others brands, for their high end products such as Flashline etc.

Joe,

At the risk of sounding pedantic (and I don't have a horse in this dog race), I'd like clarification of your clarification.

From the Precision Devices site:

"Precision Devices™ was originally founded in 1987 to cover all the loudspeaker manufacturing requirements of touring systems designer Turbosound."

PRECISE PASSION AND PERFORMANCE

I don't doubt that Turbosound is using other driver vendors currently, but PD's original purpose was to build speaker components for Turbosound, correct?

Last edited:

Dear Guys,

Turbosound has used EV-Fane and others in the Past-so it has not been all "in-house", unless you count putting a turbosound sticker on the back "speaker production".

Joe,

At the risk of sounding pedantic (and I don't have a horse in this dog race), I'd like clarification of your clarification.

From the Precision Devices site:

"Precision Devices™ was originally founded in 1987 to cover all the loudspeaker manufacturing requirements of touring systems designer Turbosound."

PRECISE PASSION AND PERFORMANCE

I don't doubt that Turbosound is using other driver vendors currently, but PD's original purpose was to build speaker components for Turbosound, correct?

If it's on the internets it must be true... :)

Just because they were founded to do that, does not mean they actually did that or still do that.

JR

If it's on the internets it must be true... :)

Just because they were founded to do that, does not mean they actually did that or still do that.

JR

Very true, JR.

The quote and link are for the benefit of those who don't remember how the PD story began or played out. I don't know/don't want to know the critical corporate details of the Precision Devices and Turbosound relationship, but I can still remember when it was all happening in real time. Whatever it was.

It seems to me that mention of Turbosound making their own drivers, while omitting a passing reference to the Precision Devices brand, is less than accurate. That's all.

Dear Guys,

Since the acquisition by the MUSIC Group, TURBOSOUND has hired additional driver engineers to focus on in-house technology and IP.

Happy New Year.
hi Joe,
Does that mean the drivers will be made in Kidderminster at the same place they make the Midas Desks?

Dear Guys,

The BEHRINGER ELX Line Array has been shipped and our US distributor Starin should have a limited amount in stock. You may want to give them a call as the products are offered at a good rate. Since then TURBOSOUND has redesigned the product line and it will be re-introduced at NAMM.

Happy New Year.

Thank you Joe. I was hoping someone who actually knows something about the subject matter would chime in on the driver manufacturing discussion.

Thank you Joe. I was hoping someone who actually knows something about the subject matter would chime in on the driver manufacturing discussion.

I do not doubt that Joe is in a position to speak with authority on Turbos present design and manufacturing methods. Historically speaking, the statement:

"TURBOSOUND has always made their own drivers, with in-house production in the UK." is misleading at best. But whose counting as we rewrite history...