Behringer X18

Re: Behringer X18

Yep, looks like they all did their market research with the same folks hanging out in Guitar Centers.

I'm getting really tired of product announcements with associated product support information that provides so little and sometimes conflicting information, I start to feel like they're announcing a concept more than an actual working product. With any type of "professional" product like the X18 or the QSC TouchMix there should be images of all the user screens, a single line schematic and hopefully even a preliminary manual available when the product is announced, without that it seems some form of prototype being presented rather than a finished product.

I wish they'd changed to a rack mount form factor. If you can control the entire thing wirelessly with an iPad, I just don't understand the motivation for having a conventionally shaped control surface which takes up a lot more space, and requires a more expensive case than a rack mount equivalent.

The iPad IS the control surface. I can already set an iPad anywhere I want. Why do a need a flat spot on top of my mixer to place it? It just makes it more difficult for me to place my mix engine in the most convenient location.

If it is really going to be $799 that is going to put major pressure on the competition. The feature set is actually really quite impressive, certainly some more compelling features than the Mackie. Nice also to see that the power supply is integrated and it just uses an IEC rather than the custom thing the new QSC requires.

I wish they'd changed to a rack mount form factor. If you can control the entire thing wirelessly with an iPad, I just don't understand the motivation for having a conventionally shaped control surface which takes up a lot more space, and requires a more expensive case than a rack mount equivalent.

The iPad IS the control surface. I can already set an iPad anywhere I want. Why do a need a flat spot on top of my mixer to place it? It just makes it more difficult for me to place my mix engine in the most convenient location.

You can carry it in a briefcase! What else would you need in a rack?

They already do have a product for that. It's called the X32 RACK.

Between this and the QSC, the only thing I like better about the QSC offering is that without an iPad, it can still be operated. It's all one piece. But that damn proprietary power connector blows on the QSC.

Now, if they designed it so one of their new hardware remotes can be secured in the spot where the iPad sits, you've got yourself a winner in the making.

Who cares about the power connector? If you base your purchase decision on that, something is wrong. It is not a pro piece. It is an MI piece. The average MI user will beat the crap out of that mixer, rub off the silk screen and buy a new power supply if it ever goes out. If you are a pro, you should be more concerned about MASS connectors, pins and that expensive little insert tool. Now THOSE can be expensive and super easy for people to jack up.

Um, I care obviously and here's why... I'm going to tell you a little story about my electronic drum kit that takes a stupid fucking wall wart power supply. Anyway, one day I'm gigging in a land far far away when after setup, I go to turn on my kit and it doesn't turn on.... Well it turns out that the power supply was toast and not just any universal psu will do(thakyou Roland), and at 5 o'clock on a sat in butt fuck northern Ontario, I would have paid a little extra for my MI piece of gear to have an IEC cable on it....
Anyway the next week I owned a newer e brain with yes, and IEC cable....
And so ends our story... Now go to bed!

Well it turns out that the power supply was toast and not just any universal psu will do(thakyou Roland), and at 5 o'clock on a sat in butt fuck northern Ontario, I would have paid a little extra for my MI piece of gear to have an IEC cable on it....
How would you be any better off if the internal supply on that one goes teats up on you?

Myself (with my DL1608) I have a wireless mic, wireless IEM, and three amps (subs & monitors). Obviously many will be using all active speakers but might still have rackmount wireless...

Exactly. IEM transmitters and mic receivers. Maybe even an axe FX or similar if you're looking for the slickest little wedding band rig out there. Everything you need in one rack.

Last edited:

Um, I care obviously and here's why... I'm going to tell you a little story about my electronic drum kit that takes a stupid fucking wall wart power supply. Anyway, one day I'm gigging in a land far far away when after setup, I go to turn on my kit and it doesn't turn on.... Well it turns out that the power supply was toast and not just any universal psu will do(thakyou Roland), and at 5 o'clock on a sat in butt fuck northern Ontario, I would have paid a little extra for my MI piece of gear to have an IEC cable on it....
Anyway the next week I owned a newer e brain with yes, and IEC cable....
And so ends our story... Now go to bed!

No wonder I flunk Canadian geography. I thought Butt Fuck was in SOUTHERN Ontario. I got some studying to do....

I still hate IEC cords, but at least you can find them at Radio Shack, Ace Hardware, Staples or any of the big-box retailers.

Proprietary *anything* is a turn off for me. It's not a single-issue rejection, but if a product has some silly-ass, uncommon PSU or connector I'll typically pick a competitor without such baggage.

Who cares about the power connector? If you base your purchase decision on that, something is wrong. It is not a pro piece. It is an MI piece. The average MI user will beat the crap out of that mixer, rub off the silk screen and buy a new power supply if it ever goes out. If you are a pro, you should be more concerned about MASS connectors, pins and that expensive little insert tool. Now THOSE can be expensive and super easy for people to jack up.
If I am given the choice of two mixers; one with a normal IEC power input, and one with a proprietary wall wart, I would definitely lean toward the one with the IEC connector. I am sure I am not alone. Of course, this wouldn't be the only consideration, but with all other things being equal, it would be important.