Behringer X32 recording via USB card

Charles Lincoln

May 25, 2019
Texas
I am recording in my church using a Behringer X32 output via a Behringer USB card (32 channels I/o) into Studio One. Everything works great EXCEPT when I record and immediate play the recording back through the exact same X32 mixer and dynamics that I just recorded from the recording sounds thin. In the live recording a get a full robust sound but when I replay the recording using same board, speakers, and dynamics. I have a thinness to the sound that is troubling.

It appears that when playing a signal though the USB card, the channel pre-amps are not engaged. Does anyone have a definite answer ??

Last edited:
This could be linked to a problem I am having. Recording from the X32 via USB to my MacBook is solid - works perfectly, but replay is either thin, or often it starts normally and gradually starts to distort. Pulling the USB and replugging fixes it for a while then it goes again. I'm thinking it is a driver issue where the Mac is either not sending properly, or the X32 is causing it. I have not tracked down the cause yet. Tried 2 MacBooks and the same issue.

We use at my church a Behringer Wing recording to SD cards. The multitrack recording is without any FX or EQ, just the dry signal so on playback we have to apply all the same EQ, FX etc again.
Not sure if the X32 is the same.

I’ve multitracked from the the 32s on a number of occasions with no problems. Only did play back once and it seemed fine. Just throwing this out there but if you’re in a small venue listening to play back, the lack of sound coming from the stage (no band) might account for some of that. But I certainly wouldn’t discount a technical issue.

We use at my church a Behringer Wing recording to SD cards. The multitrack recording is without any FX or EQ, just the dry signal so on playback we have to apply all the same EQ, FX etc again.
Not sure if the X32 is the same.
Yes, we are running the recorded signal right back through the exact same dynamics. I am wondering if playing through the USB card invoked the preamps that are on each channel?

I’ve multitracked from the the 32s on a number of occasions with no problems. Only did play back once and it seemed fine. Just throwing this out there but if you’re in a small venue listening to play back, the lack of sound coming from the stage (no band) might account for some of that. But I certainly wouldn’t discount a technical issue.
Thanks for your reply. All of our instruments are electronic and band is in in-ears, so typically there is no sound coming from the stage other than natural voices singing into microphones. But we sound think even if the vocals are muted. I am wondering if the X32 preamps are engaged when the USB card is used form playback. Do you know by any chance?

Yes, we are running the recorded signal right back through the exact same dynamics. I am wondering if playing through the USB card invoked the preamps that are on each channel?

No. The signal is in the digital domain and while you can "trim" levels to an extent (over a 20-ish dB range, IIRC) the actual preamps are not in the signal path (and should not be).

When you playback through the console what does the RTA view of the channels look like? Is the LF still there or does the display conform to what you're hearing?

Reactions: Charles Lincoln
No. The signal is in the digital domain and while you can "trim" levels to an extent (over a 20-ish dB range, IIRC) the actual preamps are not in the signal path (and should not be).

When you playback through the console what does the RTA view of the channels look like? Is the LF still there or does the display conform to what you're hearing?
Thank you for your answer . I think you are exactly right.