Bid Protocol Question

Re: Bid Protocol Question

Consider inviting "the committee" or whomever to one of your quality gigs, and have them come in early to witness the way your crew works, the way you deal with the artist and client. Treat them to lunch and swag them in some way. If Brand X is as lame as you indicate the prospect should easily see the difference. Whether or not they're willing to pay for that difference is still up in the air, but you're not out any profit or risking an existing client by doing this.

I'm pretty sure that's what I'll do.

And you're right, they still may not want to pay the difference. Most people drive a nice car that they can afford, even though there are much finer cars available.

Consider inviting "the committee" or whomever to one of your quality gigs, and have them come in early to witness the way your crew works, the way you deal with the artist and client. Treat them to lunch and swag them in some way. If Brand X is as lame as you indicate the prospect should easily see the difference. Whether or not they're willing to pay for that difference is still up in the air, but you're not out any profit or risking an existing client by doing this.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I'm pretty sure that's what I'll do.

And you're right, they still may not want to pay the difference. Most people drive a nice car that they can afford, even though there are much finer cars available.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, I really appreciate it!

The rest of the story-- I decided not to go the low-ball route at all.

I bid each show correctly, and got outbid on the early shows by folks with mismatched mains and orange power cords.....

I continued to invite them to my other shows and submitted very detailed bids.

I'm not completely sure of all the reasons, but I finally got a show. We'll see what happens.

Weighing in a little late, but anyway- One of the problems I've found with low balling to get in the door is that commitees and purchasers at many events like these seem to turn over way too often. That special favor you may have done while one person was "in office" may be completely unknown to his/her replacement, may not matter to them because they've got a friend/cousin/janitor that has got a great Radio Shack PA and will need to have the ridiculous amount you charged last year re-justified.

Referring to Tim Mc's post above; if it truly is a official bid situation, make sure you read the complete bid pack. Gifting, however unintentional and unmalicious the intent, is often frowned upon if discovered and can disqualify your company from this and future bid work with this purchasing entity.

Weighing in a little late, but anyway- One of the problems I've found with low balling to get in the door is that commitees and purchasers at many events like these seem to turn over way too often. That special favor you may have done while one person was "in office" may be completely unknown to his/her replacement, may not matter to them because they've got a friend/cousin/janitor that has got a great Radio Shack PA and will need to have the ridiculous amount you charged last year re-justified.

Referring to Tim Mc's post above; if it truly is a official bid situation, make sure you read the complete bid pack. Gifting, however unintentional and unmalicious the intent, is often frowned upon if discovered and can disqualify your company from this and future bid work with this purchasing entity.

All of this is good advice, particularly the part about the revolving door of "committee" membership. As for swagging a prospect, I tend to keep it along the lines of common advertising promotional stuff like pens, note pads; things practical but of limited actual value. The idea is that it's a token of recognition, a gesture of good will... not a bribe.

Thanks for your contribution, Lee.

Tim Mc

Thank you for saying that.

Giving people stuff to win business IS bribery. It is accepted in some places, demanded in others, and prohibited in yet others.

I've had a purchasing agent tell me that I'd get the job, only if I gave them Indy 500 suite tickets (for them personally, not their company)

I've also dealt with a state funded organization here in Indiana, where ANY gift, regardless of size, was forbidden.
Bringing donuts would get you fired as a vendor and it would get the person who accepted them fired as well.

Coffee cups full of chocolate is as far as I've ever progressed into the world of buying business.
Unfortunately, I have to admit that those coffee cups worked.

One other thing, it depends on who you're dealing with. Any government agency or quasi-government agency is going to have policy or law that govern. Likewise any major business entity (although those policies don't always work, as Mr. Hurt points out). Private committees, 501(c)(somethings) can do whatever they want with regard to this topic. Most of the (c)(3) organizations have serious policy about the appearance of graft, but all are free to set their own polices so long as it doesn't jeopardize their tax-exempt status.

Offering a pen or note pad is not graft, and if the prospect has restrictions on what he/she can accept they are free to decline without explanation. That said, I always ask a prospect if I'm allowed to buy lunch or dinner because I know that some types of clients can't accept such offers. I never send event tickets, make offers of passes or "meet and greet" attendance, etc. That's asking for trouble no matter what.

i think a better thing to sway them with is service, even at someone else's gig. If you or someone on your team can spend time with prospectives while the rest of the show is being set up/run smoothly, it shows you're a true professional, but you're also able to point out the finer things you get when you don't pick the lowball bid as well as answering questions, like why your speakers are up on stands instead of on the ground pointed at the garbage can.

Photograph/video everything, and post a simple website showcasing your great shows; this can help to show consistency in executing events of different scale.

Consider inviting "the committee" or whomever to one of your quality gigs, and have them come in early to witness the way your crew works, the way you deal with the artist and client.
Tim Mc

This has worked for me in the past, and I try and push it to any new potential clients. Although not always possible, when it is possible it's much better then giving someone something for free.