Can't find an LED strip that does this

Silas Pradetto

Graduate Student
I'm looking for a light like this:

http://elationlighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1696&MainId=1&Category=LED Lighting

that has individual control of each pixel. I know that's going to be a lot of channels, but without such control I can't make the light do all sorts of cool things, like the Matrix effect when they're vertically oriented behind the band.

Important criteria: 1 meter long, individual pixels.
Less important criteria: 3-in-1 LEDs, more pixels are better.

Virtually all the fixtures I've found only do 3 zones, or aren't 1 meter long.

Re: Can't find an LED strip that does this

Does it need to be exactly 1m long? I know of several fixtures (some designed explicitly for direct view) that have plenty of pixels, but may be longer or shorter than 1m (2' and 4' come to mind)

I'm thinking 3 feet minimum, because I put a 12" square of wood on one end to make them stand up behind the backline. Quite a nice effect, for which 2 feet would be too short, I think.

And yes, something designed for direct viewing would be nice, especially something that doesn't flicker when dimmed (or at all). That's one of the reasons I'd like it to be a 3-in-1 unit rather than separate RGB. And I certainly don't need A or W for this application.

Does it really have individual pixel control? I'm too lazy to download the manual, but according to your link:
18 x TRI Color LED’s
4 DMX Modes: 3, 4, 9 or 11
Real pixel control (just stating the obvious) would require 18*3=54 channels as a minimum.

Does it perhaps have some built-in macros that address all 18 pixels individually?

w

[waldo] Casey Williams;8432 said:
Does it really have individual pixel control? I'm too lazy to download the manual, but according to your link:
Real pixel control (just stating the obvious) would require 18*3=54 channels as a minimum.

Does it perhaps have some built-in macros that address all 18 pixels individually?

w

The one I refererenced does not have individual pixel control. Macros will not work.

I don't mind if it uses 100 channels, I just want a specific effect that I've seen some concert tours using.

The tour I just got back from was using some PixelLine strips. A quick look at the manual shows that they can do individual RGB control for 18 cells, for 54 channels.

Also, they are BRIGHT.

Color Kinetics (note: my employer) has a few fixtures that will do what you want (iColor Accent Powercore, ColorGraze, ColorBlaze, ColorBlaze TRX).

Element Labs (now Barco) has some fixtures designed to do what you want (MiStrip and Versatube).

The previously mentioned PixelLine is another option.

And there are others as well, those are just the first that come to mind.

What about contacting one of those China LED manufactures to see if they'll produce you a custom light and what your looking for.

I'm all set with China lights for now. I need stuff that actually works and stays working....I'd much rather support a domestic company, even if it costs more (and they're probably all made in China anyway).

I'm looking for a light like this:

http://elationlighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1696&MainId=1&Category=LED Lighting

that has individual control of each pixel. I know that's going to be a lot of channels, but without such control I can't make the light do all sorts of cool things, like the Matrix effect when they're vertically oriented behind the band.

Important criteria: 1 meter long, individual pixels.
Less important criteria: 3-in-1 LEDs, more pixels are better.

Virtually all the fixtures I've found only do 3 zones, or aren't 1 meter long.

Twelve 3-watt tri-color LED's in a 42" strip:

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/colorband-tri.html

I got a price on the Chauvet from NSL. Under $250 a fixture shipped. Mid May delivery.
(and all 12 LED are individually programmable - 36 channel mode)