Change Your Underwear

Langston Holland

Sophomore
Jan 13, 2011
Pensacola
The pursuit of excellence is more fun when you could die.

I raced motocross for about a decade - through the 70's.

Then I raced Formula Fords for a few years in the late 80's until my wife saw some other guys flip.

In my teens I ran up the points on my license to the threshold of walking and backed off until the 366th day when they reset.

My Dad the lawyer got me out of many situations where I really should have been in jail.

This video pulls at me...

Re: Change Your Underwear

That...was...awesome. I loved that they didn't have any music playing in the background for the drive, just the sounds of the car.

Ken Block - Gymkhana 1 - YouTube
DC SHOES: KEN BLOCK GYMKHANA TWO THE INFOMERCIAL - YouTube
DC SHOES: Ken Block's Gymkhana THREE, Part 2; Ultimate Playground; l'Autodrome, France - YouTube
DC SHOES: KEN BLOCK'S GYMKHANA FOUR; THE HOLLYWOOD MEGAMERCIAL - YouTube

You can't forget the links to Gymkhana 1 through 4. This guy is an amazing driver and has created his own little empire with these videos.

BTW, 3 was my favorite until this one came out. The sideways jump did it for me.

His work and his videos are amazing. I mean, this video alone has over 13 million views. The car itself is a piece of art and fascinates me.

The coolest thing about the current video, is that they got all of those roads in San Fran closed down for that. I was watching him work through this event on facebook and he was so excited about it. I mean come on.... it's got to be one of the hardest things to do to close down the Bay Bridge for a shoot like that. Too cool!

The driving, video, and car are all incredible. A lot of days I'd rather be riding in a car with this guy on closed roads than in traffic with the usual morons. A close friend's brother in law was riding a scooter in broad daylight Sunday morning on a 35MPH road and was hit by a kid who "fell asleep". The good news - his helmet saved his head. The bad news - broken neck.

Nice... The beginning part where he is going past the tall buildings reminds me vaguely of the beginning of the movie "Gumball Rally" where the race begins in downtown NYC. Then the big jump his car makes going downhill, wow. I also liked how this guy weaved around the cable cars. Too much to absorb in one viewing, must see more than once.

The coolest thing about the current video, is that they got all of those roads in San Fran closed down for that. I was watching him work through this event on facebook and he was so excited about it. I mean come on.... it's got to be one of the hardest things to do to close down the Bay Bridge for a shoot like that. Too cool!

Probably just very early on an average Monday morning, the safest time no doubt. :twisted:

Last edited:

A current event.

I remember in my early 20's I began to think about possible consequences. I lived long enough to reach that threshold. Maybe this guy will too. Maybe not. He's passing cars at a differential in excess of 100 mph.

Nice scooter. :)

Last edited:

The MC can get away with threading the needle and riding the dotted line between two cars... when they are side by side... You can't do that in a car... :-(

JR

I met someone who has a custom built 1700hp (at sea level) hillclimber that thinks he can do it in under 8:30 now that it is paved all the way to the top.

A current event.

I remember in my early 20's I began to think about possible consequences. I lived long enough to reach that threshold. Maybe this guy will too. Maybe not. He's passing cars at a differential in excess of 100 mph.

Nice scooter. :)

I had a mini bike, but my parents wouldn't let me have a motorcycle. I'm alive now (and can walk) because of their decision

but you're not as alive as you could be, Responsible motorcycle riding is a ton of fun, I'll be going on a three day bike trip this next weekend if work allows.

Cool. Left hand drive but still a left hand shifter. Weird.

It's a sequential, nothing to it (no pattern) Still odd to see, most motorsport shifters are still center mounted (In VW land, anyways)

It's sad that the pikes pike car shown has more money in the roll cage then I do my entire VW build...

I suddenly want to buy a gopro.

I had a mini bike, but my parents wouldn't let me have a motorcycle. I'm alive now (and can walk) because of their decision

mbike.jpg

Yup, probably a good thing my old DIY project was lucky to top 25 MPH, but after you turn 21 and have done a tour in the army, you can then buy a MC if you still want... My first dirt bike was bought used cheap from a first owner who flipped it with an unintended wheelie. Several friends sacrificed body parts and more to MC accidents. Any one with a clue approaches them with respect for kinetic energy that increases with velocity squared and the relative mass between bikes and other vehicles sharing the roads. A little personal road rash increases that respect.

One of life's major disappointments for me, was how often rained in the south from summer weather patterns, making motorcycles less practical for daily use. :-(

JR

PS: Just about every spring I hear some different kid on his new go-fast pocket rocket tearing up the local streets... I can tell by the sounds made when they shift (badly) that they probably shouldn't be driving that fast... If all these guys lived to middle age, there would be a lot more on the roads than I see, while hopefully some just grow out of their reckless phase. Alcohol and bikes are a bad combination, since you generally drive too fast when sober. Reducing inhibitions while increasing reaction time is a recipe for loss of precious bodily fluids, and breakage of fragile structures.

mbike.jpg

Yup, probably a good thing my old DIY project was lucky to top 25 MPH, but after you turn 21 and have done a tour in the army, you can then buy a MC if you still want... My first dirt bike was bought used cheap from a first owner who flipped it with an unintended wheelie. Several friends sacrificed body parts and more to MC accidents. Any one with a clue approaches them with respect for kinetic energy that increases with velocity squared and the relative mass between bikes and other vehicles sharing the roads. A little personal road rash increases that respect.

One of life's major disappointments for me, was how often rained in the south from summer weather patterns, making motorcycles less practical for daily use. :-(

JR

PS: Just about every spring I hear some different kid on his new go-fast pocket rocket tearing up the local streets... I can tell by the sounds made when they shift (badly) that they probably shouldn't be driving that fast... If all these guys lived to middle age, there would be a lot more on the roads than I see, while hopefully some just grow out of their reckless phase. Alcohol and bikes are a bad combination, since you generally drive too fast when sober. Reducing inhibitions while increasing reaction time is a recipe for loss of precious bodily fluids, and breakage of fragile structures.

Once I got old enough to buy one myself, a friend was killed and another seriously injured in accidents caused by unaware motorists. Nothing like seeing someone in a body cast for 4-5 months, then learn to walk again to sway me against owning one

Once I got old enough to buy one myself, a friend was killed and another seriously injured in accidents caused by unaware motorists. Nothing like seeing someone in a body cast for 4-5 months, then learn to walk again to sway me against owning one

That does tend to test your resolve... Another benefit from waiting until 21 YO or so, is by then several local shooting stars will have crashed and burned.

JR

PS I used to joke that car drivers were actively trying to kill us, but in retrospect I think they just misjudged the closing rate due to relatively higher speed of motorcycles and small frontal footprint.

Just happened to my brother's friend. Most bones in body broken, still not conscious, hoping that the brain damage isn't too bad. Really messy. Not his fault either, another driver making illegal U-turn on a blind corner.

When I ride, I like to think of myself as completely invisible to everyone else on the road. Therefor I tend to not put myself in harms way that often. It also makes you want to ride alone away from all the traffic.

I don't ride a bike so that others can see me riding a bike. I know that is an attraction for some, and unfortunately it comes with higher risk.

+1... you are invisible for all intents and purposes. Usually by the time they realize that the small distant spec on the horizon is now 100' away and closing fast, it is too late for them to significantly alter their trajectory.

JR