Coda AiRay Is the talk True?

Ethan Kurobe

Freshman
Jul 1, 2015
Hey Guys,

I missed to be there at PL&S Frankfurt this year and hear Coda AiRay and other products were on demo. Like Outline GTO C12 in my previous topic I wish to talk about another new system that is not much found on internet but is supposedly amazing. I hear they are very loud but clear and great sounding too. So has anyone got hands on experience with this product?

I hear it can smoke the top brands in the market.. so let's have a look at this LA.. Will appreciate honest and experienced opinions

Re: Coda AiRay Is the talk True?

Hey Guys,

I missed to be there at PL&S Frankfurt this year and hear Coda AiRay and other products were on demo. Like Outline GTO C12 in my previous topic I wish to talk about another new system that is not much found on internet but is supposedly amazing. I hear they are very loud but clear and great sounding too. So has anyone got hands on experience with this product?

I hear it can smoke the top brands in the market.. so let's have a look at this LA.. Will appreciate honest and experienced opinions

On paper AiRAY looks fantastic, so much so I was seriously considering replace all of our current line-array boxes with them and /or some ViARY … B UT … for more than 3 months I have been trying to find out some indication of the price; no luck … zero … nothing … and I have tried and tried!

Doesn’t inspire any confidence in the brand nor a trip to Germany to check it out and have a listen ... maybe I have just been unlucky but in terms of marketing ... :cry:.

Last edited:

On paper AiRAY looks fantastic, so much so I was seriously considering replace all of our current line-array boxes with them and /or some ViARY … B UT … for more than 3 months I have been trying to find out some indication of the price; no luck … zero … nothing … and I have tried and tried!

Doesn’t inspire any confidence in the brand nor a trip to Germany to check it out and have a listen ... maybe I have just been unlucky but in terms of marketing ... :cry:.

They have a GLL on their site to play with. The measured data looks real. It says it has built in active settings. But there seems to a really sharp pattern collapse around 1800Hz, like an octave wide. It seems to be in both horn patterns, worse in the 100deg box.

Last edited:

They have a GLL on their site to play with. The measured data looks real. It says it has built in active settings. But there seems to a significant narrowing in HF around 1800Hz which is really wide.

Yes – I have modelled it in EASE Focus2 along with every thing else I could find. The directivity of the ViRAY looks better, but the SPL of the AiRAY is huge.

The AiRAY is about the same weigh as our Flex but I could do the same jobs as we are currently do with 8 to 12 boxes per side with 3 or 4, if the EASE Focus plots are correct / comparable.

Weight is a big issue for me, hence the interest … but it’s no good if you can’t buy it or get support.

In terms of directivity / coverage the new VUE stuff looks excellent.

Off topic, but: You might know this, I've really just started playing around with the GLLs. Is there any way to view the GSS power data and impedance, once it has been encoded into a GLL? Or is it totally locked away at that point.

Sorry, I don’t know. Interestingly enough I was just talking to my friend about all of this last week, he has just started producing balloon data on his new tri-axial computer controlled speaker rotator. The plan is to eventually produce GLL files … he may know the answer to your question.

FWIW we are planning to do some balloon data for my latest version of the DIY (not published yet) which has been optimized for directivity and sound quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry, I don’t know. Interestingly enough I was just talking to my friend about all of this last week, he has just started producing balloon data on his new tri-axial computer controlled speaker rotator. The plan is to eventually produce GLL files … he may know the answer to your question.

FWIW we are planning to do some balloon data for my latest version of the DIY (not published yet) which has been optimized for directivity and sound quality.

We finished our 4m 19 microphone array last year short of budgeting for the microphones. Hah! Hopefully I can get microphones budgeted with a project and finish this year. The results we have been getting from local lab are so sub-optimal that in typically McCauley Sound fashion we decided to roll our own. Not to mention how much more useful for R&D having it in house will be. I'm excited to see data for your box.

Doesn't look like they are yet set up to do much in your market Peter, nor North or South America at this point.
It does seem to be marketed as being an attractive price, and the economics of a smaller number of boxes, fewer amp channels etc etc are already in its favor.

You are right, on paper it looks excellent, and by all accounts so far it supposedly sounds great. Fingers crossed that you can reach them. Maybe try one of the UK Distributors?

There are few brands out there like Coda and Outline which are having amazing product range and are yet in shadows. I recently auditioned Outline GTO C12 and it is super loud and really nice sounding LA.. On paper AiRay looks amazing but has anyone listen to em??

By way how does Outline GTO C12 compare on sheet to AiRay? That is gonna be interesting.

The desirability of brands like L'Acoustics is so hard driven that though some other brands have exciting and amazing products are still not readily accepted.

There are few brands out there like Coda and Outline which are having amazing product range and are yet in shadows. I recently auditioned Outline GTO C12 and it is super loud and really nice sounding LA.. On paper AiRay looks amazing but has anyone listen to em??

By way how does Outline GTO C12 compare on sheet to AiRay? That is gonna be interesting.

The desirability of brands like L'Acoustics is so hard driven that though some other brands have exciting and amazing products are still not readily accepted.

Personally I have a lot of respect for Outline. GTO is one of the best thought out line arrays I've seen and the engineering is as solid as it gets. I don't know of anyone who has used them which was disappointed.

Knowing whats inside, you will be very hard pressed to find anything more advanced from the transducer technology point.
I use the same components and i know that not much can come close and nothing can actually beat it.
How does it sounds it is very personal and up to peoples taste. All i can say is that it can sound how ever you like it to sound.

Knowing whats inside, you will be very hard pressed to find anything more advanced from the transducer technology point.
I use the same components and i know that not much can come close and nothing can actually beat it.
How does it sounds it is very personal and up to peoples taste. All i can say is that it can sound how ever you like it to sound.
Yes I know exactly what’s inside, even have some spare diaphragms in stock :)~:)~:smile:

I really wish someday I would have the money to do an extended vacation to travel the world listening to systems we never see in the US.

Sent from my XT1254