Combining many devices on one network

Re: Combining many devices on one network

Hubs still exist and are useful when you need a hardware packet split without using multicast, if that makes sense.

Sent from my XT907 2

Who makes them these days? The only use I know of for them is running packet captures for network diagnostics, and that functionality is provided by the port-mirroring capabilities in virtually every modern managed switch.

Who makes them these days? The only use I know of for them is running packet captures for network diagnostics, and that functionality is provided by the port-mirroring capabilities in virtually every modern managed switch.

They are hard to find. Thankfully some managed switches can mirror this hub behavior.

Or, turn on multicast and put your Dante (or whatever) on its own VLAN

Thanks - check out the next page (16) - "Split" mode for the two Ethernet ports puts Dante primary (with no secondary) on one port, and Shure control on the other port.

Can someone explain the need or benefit from this? It's one thing to keep Cobranet separate, as adding a WAP to the Layer 2 data can take down the network. But Dante should not be a problem as its Layer 3 correct?

Can someone explain the need or benefit from this? It's one thing to keep Cobranet separate, as adding a WAP to the Layer 2 data can take down the network. But Dante should not be a problem as its Layer 3 correct?

Well, there is something to be said regarding keeping all your audio traffic defined within it's own hardware network or VLAN. Then you can keep all your control traffic on a separate network, which can be integrated into a facilities enterprise network. Without having two network ports to do this for you, you would need to install a router to access this information from an isolated Dante network when working from your enterprise network.

This is what we at MediaMatrix recommend doing regardless if your system is CobraNet or Dante.

Remember, CobraNet traffic can peacefully co-exist with regular computer data just like Dante can. It is just a matter of good practice in my mind to keep the two isolated from one another.