Compressor novice... need starting point for rock vocals

Re: Compressor novice... need starting point for rock vocals

Heh. Duly noted. Never had a problem in small venues (with comps over inserts) but certainly hate that particular kind of Yamaha desk with the compressor knob built into the channel. More problems than benefits with that for sure!

Related Question

I see some of you compress vocal sub-groups. Isn't that a problem with multiple lead vocalists? I have four singers in my group. If I compress all vocals in a sub-group, don't I run a risk of burying backing vocals or even the lead vocal, at times? I have the vocals assigned to a group, but I have a compressor inserted in each vocal channel, instead of the group insert.

Last edited:
Re: Related Question

I see some of you compress vocal sub-groups. Isn't that a problem with multiple lead vocalists? I have four singers in my group. If I compress all vocals in a sub-group, don't I run a risk of burying backing vocals or even the lead vocal, at times? I have the vocals assigned to a group, but I have a compressor inserted in each vocal channel, instead of the group insert.

With compression on an audio group, the loudest thing in that group will cause the compression. Multi-stage compression isn't a way to mix less, it's a way to mix more effectively. It *will* help you maintain whatever 'ratio' of lead to BGV you want; you just have to bring up the new lead and return the prior lead to BGV level. If you're mixing while playing you might be better off skipping group compression as it does require attention every time you change singers.

If the singers bring it up when they are the lead, and backoff when they a BGV, it works really well.

Just like real music! :)

Re: Compressor novice... need starting point for rock vocals

If the singers bring it up when they are the lead, and backoff when they a BGV, it works really well.

Just like real music! :)

I was only using a question to try and direct the conversation. It really doesn't work that well. I've tried it.

Last edited: