• Shure SM81

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • other...please describe

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
Feb 28, 2011
san francisco
Howdy, folks--

The very affordable EWI condensers have been my go-to mic for a few years, but since I've given up the reins recently and am not mixing most shows at my club, the failure rate has become a real problem. I put it down to rough handling. But since that is something I don't have direct control over on a daily basis, the task at hand is to find a more durable condenser.

*For the sake of this poll, let's define 'affordable' as $300 per mic max.

Just to say it out loud: the question is what's the most durable and can handle daily use, not what sounds best.

And of course, feel free to PM me if you have something in this category you'd like to sell! At this point I need two.

best to all,

waldo

Re: condenser poll

We have a few Rode NT5 condensors that have held up pretty well. Of course we also have some Pro 37 and SM81 mics. All have held up. They also don't get abused on a regular basis. We also have a plethora of high-end condensors that only get used for the Orchestra's.

Pat

Last edited:

I'm stayin' with the EWIs BUT...
Like you before, I'm the only one handling them. I should think that all condensors need a little extra TLC and shouldn't be left to rough handling morons.

Mike McNany

I've been using Audix ADX50/ADX51s for years with no problem whatsoever. They've been dropped, in the sun for hours, etc. No problems.

+1

Great sounding mics too, been using the ADX50s for years. I recently picked up a couple that were trashed off of Ebay, seriously abused by a sound co. out of Canada. They still functioned but looked like hell. A trip to Audix for a refurb and they returned as brand new ADX51s for an incredible price. Audix customer service is always excellent.

Greg

I have used the Rode NT5 before and was satisfied with its performance; I'm not a fan of the AKG C1000 at all - it has always sounded "brittle" to my ears. My preferred SDC is the Crown CM700. What you see on paper is what you get: a very uniform cardioid pickup pattern.

Behringer C-2 - simply put if you use it in a typical live sound situation you wont be able to tell the difference between it and a much more expensive mic.

By typical i mean what is typical for me... bar gigs, smaller outdoor events and live recording.

[waldo] Casey Williams;14911 said:
Howdy, folks--

The very affordable EWI condensers have been my go-to mic for a few years, but since I've given up the reins recently and am not mixing most shows at my club, the failure rate has become a real problem. I put it down to rough handling. But since that is something I don't have direct control over on a daily basis, the task at hand is to find a more durable condenser.

*For the sake of this poll, let's define 'affordable' as $300 per mic max.

Just to say it out loud: the question is what's the most durable and can handle daily use, not what sounds best.

And of course, feel free to PM me if you have something in this category you'd like to sell! At this point I need two.

best to all,

waldo

Hi Waldo-

For a "nicer than cheap" but still affordable I like the Audio Technica AT4041. I see pairs on Ebay for around $400-$500.

More versatile is the AKG C-535.

I would not suggest the C-1000 or the Oktava MC-012. The AKG because it sounds bad, and the Oktava because they're relatively fragile but sound very good. I own 8 of the Oktava and right now 5 of them are fully functional and sound close to the same... and I take pretty good care of my mics.

I like the Oktava also, but use them in a recording environment only. Live, I've had two trashed by stick hits, but a very good sounding SDC for the money. One of my 81's is currently crapping so this thread is definately of interest. I too, have been looking closely at the ADX51 as another alternative. The EWI's might be an affordable back up but look cheap. And Tim...I forgive you. ; )