Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shure SM81

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • other...please describe

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
Re: condenser poll

Tim
You could always go to Gtr Center and pickup two MC-012's for $100 lol I've even taped an 012 to a 57 for snare with damn good results. YMMV

+2. Sound totally decent, are OK in monitors, and hold up well. The C1000 is definitely the ruggedness king, but also the sound quality pauper.

I've been using the same C1000 on hi hats for the better part of 12 years. High Hats are not big part of the sound of the artists that I mix and the drummer could care less if I actually mic'd it or not.

I have been using AT-3035's for years in all conditions. They still sound great. Can't speak directly to their recent replacements but if the AT-3035 is any indication they should be up for your consideration.

Mark,

I also own an A/T 3035 and I think it is definitely an underdog mic. Very transparent and low self-noise, great for many sources. I use mine for strings, vocals, and horns. I believe A/T may have thought the 30- line wasn't attracting the money as much as the 20- and 40- were, so they made ditched that line and added them to the 20- series. I'm not sure if it has the same respone, etc. as the 3035, but I prefer the 40- series stuff now anyway. I think my next LDC would be a pair of A/T 4050s.

I've been using Audix ADX50/ADX51s for years with no problem whatsoever. They've been dropped, in the sun for hours, etc. No problems.

Being an Old Guy, I have always had a handfull of 81's around, but I have never been a big fan of them.

I picked up a pair if the EWI's a while ago when I was ordering some other things, ok for the price.

But a month or so back I picked up Audix ADX51, it is now my go to condenser. I am very pleased with them.

Mark,

I also own an A/T 3035 and I think it is definitely an underdog mic. Very transparent and low self-noise, great for many sources. I use mine for strings, vocals, and horns. I believe A/T may have thought the 30- line wasn't attracting the money as much as the 20- and 40- were, so they made ditched that line and added them to the 20- series. I'm not sure if it has the same respone, etc. as the 3035, but I prefer the 40- series stuff now anyway. I think my next LDC would be a pair of A/T 4050s.

You can't go wrong with the 4050's. My go to gtr cab and OH mics lately when I'm not using ribbons.
Peace

I'll nominate the Superlux CM-H8K. We have 4 of them at church for the last 6 years or so and no failures. They have been dropped and handled roughly in general with no problems. I've used them on choirs, string ensembles, hi-hat, overheads, ride, and even snare where it has survived direct hits more than once with no problem. $159 for a pair in a hard side case with shock mounts and a stereo mount. I don't see a big SQ difference between them and our AT Pro-37, but they do pale a little beside our C-414's. Loren Jones

+1 for the AKG C-535. I carry a pair of them and they are good sounding, durable, and versatile... They also sport a pad switch and a low cut...