Correct Cable For Temporary Use?

Re: Correct Cable For Temporary Use?

My experience is has been similar to Dan's. On some of the shows I’ve freelanced on as an A2, I was tasked to hook-up/coordinate the Power Tie in; and of course I met the inspector and electrician. During the show the inspector only looked at the Feeder Tie-In and everything up to the Main Distro. They didn’t look at anything that left the distro.

The company I freelance with uses a variety of SOOW, SJOOW and SJEW as well. The “general” rule for them seems to be: SOOW for Lighting & 4C AC power and SJ* for single circuit Edison. There QUAD drops use 'knock-out' metal boxes wrapped in Black Gaff. Don't worry, they have been apart of some huge productions and have many inspections.

For my stuff, I use SOOW on my 4/4 cable distro cable and SJOOW & SJEW on my single circuits; but then again 80% of my shows, I am pulling power from the Edison wall outlets. I do have a few store bought black power cables from Lowes and that cable is SJT with molded ends (3-to-1s for LED lights).

Last edited:
I believe the code for SOOW is for when it is underfoot, laying on the deck or the ground.

Of course with a small company if you don't know where your cables are going to be from show to show it makes sense to go with the more rigorous standard.

On the other hand if you are doing a temporary setup pulling power from wall sockets I am not sure if any of that section for distributed power for temporary staging really applies.

And of course my interpretation means nothing if it disagrees with an inspector.

I was under the impression that type S is rubber, type SE is Elastomer, and type ST is Thermoset. But I don't have my reference handy to verify.

Just got a chance to look it up. ST is Thermoplastic, not Thermoset. SO is thermoset. (From table 400.4 in the NEC).

Perhaps of more relevance is note 6 to that same table, which states
Types G, G-GC, S, SC, SCE, SCT, SE, SEO, SEOO, SO, SOO, ST, STO, STOO, PPE, and W shall be permitted for use on theater stages, in garages, and elsewhere where flexible cables are permitted by this Code

I'm a fan of Coleman Cable too, and most of my AC cordage is 12/3 SOOW, just because I got good pricing on 500' spools. As an apprentice electrician years ago, one of the shop's customers was HQ up in North Chicago too. They own Royal Cable now too.

Here's their explanation and definition of the coding on portable cable:

Wire and Cable Portable Cord FAQ | Coleman Cable, Inc.

Why fuss? Buy the SOOW first, it'll hold up better in the long run.

I actually have some stage quads using 12/3 or 14/3 SJ because it is thinner and easier to dress.

Hubbell connectors definitely.

Best regards,

John

My experience is has been similar to Dan's. On some of the shows I’ve freelanced on as an A2, I was tasked to hook-up/coordinate the Power Tie in; and of course I met the inspector and electrician. During the show the inspector only looked at the Feeder Tie-In and everything up to the Main Distro. They didn’t look at anything that left the distro.

The company I freelance with uses a variety of SOOW, SJOOW and SJEW as well. The “general” rule for them seems to be: SOOW for Lighting & 4C AC power and SJ* for single circuit Edison. There QUAD drops use 'knock-out' metal boxes wrapped in Black Gaff. Don't worry, they have been apart of some huge productions and have many inspections.

Matt,

I'm not specifically trying to single you out, but this seems as good a place in the thread as any to interject the relevant code details, which I put together as boilerplate a while ago. First, the caveat of "I am not a licensed electrician." Everything below hews very closely to the NEC, but when in doubt contact your local Authority Having Jurisdiction as they may have a different local interpretation of the NEC, or the locale may have adopted more, or less, stringent local Code:

For the purposes of show power, the relevant sectionss in the NEC are 200, 300, 400, along with articles 520, 525, 530 (to a lesser extent), and 640. Articles 520 and 525 are especially important. The first one, Article 520 starts on page 70-459 of the 2011 NEC edition.

You should be able to find the NEC locally at the library or electrical supply house to show to the fire inspector, if need be. When indoors, portable power for audio visual falls under NEC 520; while outdoors under NEC 525.
Sections you should read include:
· 520.5(B)
· 520.9-10
· 520.21-24
· 520.27(A)(1)
· 520.27(C)(1)-(3)
· 520.44(B)-520.45
· 520.50-52
· 520.53 (defines portable feeders and switchboards)
· 520.62 (This defines power distribution for non-switchboard units)
· 520.67 (defines multi-pole branch circuit capable conductors - e.g socapex)
· 520.68-69 (defines conductors and adapters)
· 525.20-22
· 525.23 (defines GFCI requirements)
· 525.31 (defines grounding)

The NEC states that entertainment power cords in the traffic path of people, or on the ground, need to be 'hard service' cords with a 600 volt insulation rating - not the 'junior' (J) version with only a 300 volt rating. There is no provision for a SJ-jacketed extension cord of the configuration we normally think of where that cord comes in contact with the ground, or is in the traffic path of people.

NEC 2011 Table 400.4 is the place with allowed cable types. In an attempt to summarize the relevant ones:
• SO and SOO as suitable for "damp locations."
• Note 6 says: "Types G, G-GC, S, SC... SO, SOO... etc. are permitted for use on theater stages in garages and elsewhere were flexible cords are permitted by this Code."
• ST, STO, STOO, STOOW, on "theater stages."

---

Now, there is an exception in the NEC 520 that allows the use of SJ rated cable under specific instances. I summarize that exception from the NEC below:

NEC 520.68(A) Exception 4
• 6m maximum link of SJ-derivative cords in the form of breakout.
• Must be supported over entire length off the ground by "pipe, truss, tower, or other substantial support."
• Must connect a single multipole connector containing at least two circuits to multiple two pole, 3 wire connectors.
• Overcurrent device must not exceed 20A.

To my reading this exception probably covers above ground short power breakout stringers, socapex "spider head" breakouts to lighting fixtures, and the terminating power fanout cables into pieces of gear (e.g. moving heads or powered speakers).

---

You will therefore find SJ rated cords can be used under specific circumstances. In practice, where cords are in the traffic pattern of people, or used unsupported on the ground, the cables must be SO, SC, or ST rated when indoors.

In my opinion, the most prudent cabling to purchase for distribution is SOOW. It covers your bases in all the portable power distribution contexts you will conceivably face.