Creating a cover letter for a job position

Jordan Lahr

Junior
Aug 10, 2011
Sioux falls, SD
So I need to create a cover letter for a job position. I have worked with this possible future employer and currently work as an over-hire for him. This would be a change to a full time position on his crew. This would require me to get my CDL but he also says that his company will provide CDL training. How do I go about writing a cover letter to a boss I already work for?

Re: Creating a cover letter for a job position

Dear Sir, enclosed is a blank check in your name...

Are you the only candidate or are they approaching this as though it were an open hire? In the latter I don't think you would approach it any differently than you would with anyone else.

It can vary with who you are appealing to, one way to diminish your brand is misspell words or use improper grammar in your letter. I'd suggest keeping it simple and to the point. Tell him what he needs to know. You call this a "cover" letter. Are you providing a CV or resume?

If this is someone you already have a relationship with I'm not sure what the letter is about, you already have your foot in the door, the hardest part for most new hires.

JR

This would be an open hire situation. I am also providing a resume with it since I've worked with him for roughly 6 months, and just a few gigs with the company but have prior as well as experience during the time I've worked there that he may not know about. I'm not sure how many others are going for the position since the advert was through his email as well as word of mouth at gigs he worked with us at another company.

How do I go about writing a cover letter to a boss I already work for?

Tell him something he doesn't know, both about why you want the job and about yourself. He knows his business and has an idea of what he wants in the next employee. Demonstrate an understanding of his business that will set you apart from every other applicant and cast yourself in a manner that sets you up as the next employee without overstating the truth. He may superficially know something about you but not understand why it matters to him.

Who are you? Why do you want the job? Why should you get the job? Why does that matter?

For example, in the simplest sense, you may be the 'new guy' to him. Reminding him that you've been reliable for six months and already have a great rapport with the entire team might help. Owners/Managers tend to notice screw-ups and problems and fail to internalize the little goods deeds that actually make the world go around...

Start dating his daughter.:)~:)~:smile:

That should get his attention... a boiler plate cover letter should be sufficient to cover the paperwork aspects.

About that... That would be illegal in all 50 states. I'd date his girlfriend but that might not end well either.
Humm... You've done your research on this subject.

Ok... uh... Maybe look into being a fill-in on his bowling team.

Last edited: