Crown Itech Networking

Re: Crown Itech Networking

Morning update. I got everything working with my laptop over wireless.

I actually was able to do this with the stock firmware on the WRT54g as well (but not with the other firmware, so there must have been a setup error somewhere). I have the antennae mounted to a 1ru blank and now have a very convenient way of accessing the DSP as I walk a room or sit at FOH.

System architects Networking diagnostic/setup tools make this WAY easier than setting Baud rates in buried menus on the Soundweb Designer. Big thumps up for modern networking made user friendly for the quasi-computer literate among us.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

Marlow

I highly recommend 802.11n for System Architect networking. Check System Architect after a couple hours of show, and you'll see something like a trillion packets have been sent/received. I figure it can easily saturate the 54g network, so I went N, which is 135Mbps+.

I highly recommend 802.11n for System Architect networking. Check System Architect after a couple hours of show, and you'll see something like a trillion packets have been sent/received. I figure it can easily saturate the 54g network, so I went N, which is 135Mbps+.

Really? I'll keep an eye on it I guess. I have the very last laptop Dell made with a serial port (Core2 Duo, actually a usable computer) but it doesn't have wireless N functionality.

I've had wireless N on my Mac stuff for many years but always considered it to only be somewhat necessary. Even time machine backups seems to be throttled by something other than the network.

You'll find that you can expect certain transfer rates from wired networks, and others from wireless.

If I have a wired network, I can usually get to around 90% of theoretical bandwidth doing a big file transfer. So maybe around 10MB/sec on a 100M connection, and 70-80MB/sec on a gig connection. The gig connection is actually limited by CPU packet overhead and hard drive speed, though.

On wireless, however, I rarely see better than 50% of theoretical speed, and on top of that, speed is dynamic and constantly fluctuating. So even if you are connected at 54M, you probably won't even see 25M actual speeds, and 25M is only about 3MB/sec in reality.

Remember, network speeds are bits per sec, but people more often think in bytes per second, with a factor of 8 between the two.

You'll find that you can expect certain transfer rates from wired networks, and others from wireless.

If I have a wired network, I can usually get to around 90% of theoretical bandwidth doing a big file transfer. So maybe around 10MB/sec on a 100M connection, and 70-80MB/sec on a gig connection. The gig connection is actually limited by CPU packet overhead and hard drive speed, though.

On wireless, however, I rarely see better than 50% of theoretical speed, and on top of that, speed is dynamic and constantly fluctuating. So even if you are connected at 54M, you probably won't even see 25M actual speeds, and 25M is only about 3MB/sec in reality.

Remember, network speeds are bits per sec, but people more often think in bytes per second, with a factor of 8 between the two.

While far from being an expert on it, I understand the basics of networking and computing (bits vs bytes for a character, word size, etc) as well as the practical limitations of the various networking and computing protocols.

What I'm less sure about is why there could possibly be so much data being passed through the network in the first place. Keep in mind I know very little about SA and am 'migrating' from serial devices.

In the interest of future searches also verify that the Itech-HD is not broadcasting cobranet packets through the foldback feature. This can be done by setting the bundle value to 0. Attempting to push cobranet through a wireless LAN is a recipe for a headache.