Danley demo on 11/13 in Atlanta

Re: Danley demo on 11/13 in Atlanta

Well, this was definitely a day for the books!

There was excitement before load in even started! One of the TH812's decided to roll out of the trailer and run into a city vehicle that was parked behind the trailer while everyone was upstairs scoping out the room. It put a nice little dent in her door, and caused quite a bit of chaos in the AM... 2 more city vehicles showed up, and 3 cop cars just to take pictures of the dent and document all of the massive damage(sarcasm). But, anyway...

We loaded in the 812's and J3's via a very sketchy "elevator."

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A few trips later, and we had everything upstairs. We learned our lesson last time we did this room. The floor likes to bounce quite a bit when the kids start jumping up and down. Plus it's not level and when you stack a PA on it, it leans forward quite a bit. Last time Ivan and the gang spent the whole show holding the stacks from falling into the crowd. This time Ivan came prepared- he built a large frame to make the stack more stable, bolted everything together and strapped it. Plus, we shimmed the bases to make them level. It was solid as a rock.

The set up was 1 J3, 1 TH812 and 1 SM80 per side. Ivan had brought 2 more TH812's just in case, but they ended up staying on the truck. 1 TH812 per side was plenty.

attachment.php

The room is a typical rectangular box. Old, wooden room with no treatment. Lowish ceilings too. It's an 1,100 cap room, and it was sold out. The house PA is quite dated to say the least, so the Danley rig was a savor for me.

attachment.php

So anyway, on to the sound... I'll start from the bottom and work my way up.

The TH812 is a monster box. It's HUGE. But, it's also surprisingly easy to maneuver around and get in to place. It takes a solid 4 guys to get it off it's wheel board and in to place, but 1 guy can move it around fairly easy. Ivan had Lab Gruppen amps for power- I don't remember the models or how much per box, he can fill in the specifics there. But, how did they sound? Well, impressive is an understatement. 1 of these boxes easily replaces 4 dual 18's. I honestly couldn't stand in front of one of these going full tilt for very long. They move a shit load of air, and do it very musically. They are rock solid to 30hz, and sound very good doing it- even at full volume. I did find the limiters on these boxes, but there was plenty of LF. I was easily hitting 126dBC at FOH. I was very, very happy with the subs. I like my low end to have a nice "growl" to it, and be punchy on top of that. I've only found a few subs that can do it well, and these subs are one of them. FWIW- They were running 30hz - 68hz.

The SM80's are a cool little box too. They are a little dull sounding to me out of the box, but a little EQ solved that problem very quickly. These were used as front fills, so I really didn't get to intensely listen to them. They were high passed at 250hz, and they did the job just fine.

The J3's... Man, these are one hell of a box. They don't look like much to the naked eye- just a larger trap box. They're pretty heavy, but not hard to handle at all. Granted, we used a lift to stack them, because lifting a 400lb box 6' in the air is pretty damn hard! Now, I always like to spec extra PA for my shows. I'd never attempt to make 1 of any box per side cover any of my shows. It's just not possible. Until now. I was skeptical at first, but after I fired up the boxes, I was blown away. I only had 1 qualm with the J3- There's too much 900hz - 5k with the factory presets. A "short throw" preset would be nice(Ivan?). They are designed to throw for days, and I think in a larger space, it would have been ok, but when FOH is only about 65' away, it's just a bit too much. But, again, it wasn't anything a little EQ couldn't solve. Playing music through them showed off just how much output they had. I pushed, and pushed and I couldn't find the limiters. They just kept going, and going. The pattern control was also very impressive. Walking across the coverage pattern was smooth, and consistent. And, as soon as you walked out of their pattern, things rolled off nicely.

Come show time, the little girls were screaming their hearts out for the band. My show averaged 105dBA @ FOH, and I was far from any limiters on the mains. Ivan said I had on average 15dB of headroom the whole show, and I believe it. The J3 showed no signs of struggling at any point during the show. They just effortlessly put out the sound. I was impressed. There were still some mid range quirks that I couldn't quite figure out, but it wasn't a show stopper by any means. I was happy overall. I'd never expect 1 box to cover 1,100 people, but the J3 did it. Granted, there are a lot of drivers in each box, it's still only 1 box!

But, Danley's done it again. I wouldn't really put either of these boxes in the portable club PA market, but for larger scale stuff, they are definitely a good option. Thanks again to Ivan for making this happen, and hopefully we can do this again soon! Danley does rock!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Evan

Attachments

• danley1.jpg
    danley1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2
  • danley2.jpg
    danley2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 2
  • danley3.jpg
    danley3.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 2
  • danley4.jpg
    danley4.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2
  • danley5.JPG
    danley5.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 2
  • danley6.jpg
    danley6.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 2
  • danley7.jpg
    danley7.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 2

Since my time on site at the Masquerade was limited to 35min in the afternoon, and an hour of ATL's set with my wife, I don't have much to add to Evan's sonics characterization except to say that I agree with it. It should be said that he and I generally see eye to eye on such matters. I wasn't there for them really pushing it pre-show, but it was loafing during the actual show. It should be mentioned that every time I step foot in that place I worry about it falling down around me.

Everything about this is setup was an improvement over doing this several years ago. Using one super-loud source is an improvement over an array of boxes, even those designed to play well together.

The trade off here is ultimately about how the mass of the PA is broken up. The aggregate mass of this system is low for the output, but it is distributed in a few really big chunks.

The J3 is really intriguing, and its going to be great in stadiums. It is 3 850's worth of output stuffed in a box less than 2x the size of an 850. I genuinely expected it to be bigger.

Finally, Danley's really got their bedliner-based finish down nice. The cabinet appearance is miles ahead of when they first introduced a bedliner coating. Hopefully Ivan posts a picture of the pretty blue monitor wedge I saw lurking.

Power wise here is what was used.

Low 1 TH812 had a Lab 13K bridged and the other had a 14K bridged (gains were matched).

We effectively used a 4 channel Lab 10K for the J3. I used 2 amps however-using 2 channels of each. The idea being that if you push that amp really hard-you can run out of power supply. So to get the most I ran the 2 low channels of the J3 (each channel has 3 15" woofers-so 6 15" driver total per J3) on one amp and the other amp had the mids and highs and the SM80 on it.

As it turned out-the J2's were loafing along-so they would easily have run off of a single 10K.

The J3 and the Sm80 were all running around -15dB with maybe some peaks hitting -10 (of where I had the limiters set).

I would disagree slightly with Evan on the top end response. The cabinets/DSP settings that we brought were very flat-out to about 15-16K. Evan seems to like to have a bit of extra "sizzle" on the top. This can help the vocal cut through. So he boosted the top octave a bit.

Which brings up an interesting argument. It has often been discussed that a lot of "sound guys" like to have a "sloping" top end. One that rolls of at a certain rate above 2Kz.

This is fine for most playback music-to help it be a little less "overpowering" in the top end.

I disagree for live music. I believe the system should be as flat as possible (above 100Hz) to as high as the system can easily go. This way it provides a "pure white canvas" upon which the sound guy can "paint his picture".

Evan likes a bit more top end than flat. So if we had provided a "sloping top end" response-then it would have required more boost to get it where he wanted it.

So you quickly realize that there are 3 different opinions of what is "right". But ultimately it is about the band that is playing at the time in the particular venue as to what is "right" and what works for them. Different styles require different approaches to "their " sound. And everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Evan did leave out some facts from the show-like the guy jumping off the bridge onto the street (so we can't say everybody had fun and nobody got killed in this case-not sure of the outcome of that incident yet)-the drug overdosed guy who kept the load out blocked-the run away tow truck operator who was hauling cars (sideways often) as fast as he could and so forth.

You know-just your average rock and roll show.

At least the floor didn't cave in-which is a great relief. I am just waiting for that to happen. There is one section in the middle that is a bit "soft" and just waiting. Hopefully I have done my last show there.

Since we were in "heaven" if you fall through you go straight to "hell", which is the dance club right below "heaven". With the bass drone of the dance club coming through the floor. You can't hear it during the music, but between songs it gets really annoying.

But I am sure that we were really screwing with them (bass wise), but our gig was the one paying the bills for the club.

Evan-may the rest of your tour be less "interesting" than last night. Have a safe trip home-and start getting the Christmas lights out!

The J3 is really intriguing, and its going to be great in stadiums. It is 3 850's worth of output stuffed in a box less than 2x the size of an 850. I genuinely expected it to be bigger.

Hopefully Ivan posts a picture of the pretty blue monitor wedge I saw lurking.

I think you would find that the output (when really pushed (not like at the show last night) has quite a bit more output.

Attached are some one various colors of the SM80M. We can do any color or custom wood finish that you might want-including no finish or stain grade for you to finish.

Attachments

• SM80M colors.jpg
    SM80M colors.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1

Thanks for posting the pics! I really wanted to hear that rig. Pulled my back out Sunday and couldn't drive (or even stand comfortably) for a few days. Glad most things went well and you guys rocked it.

Thanks to Evan, Ivan and everyone else involved for the quite memorable event! Sounded great, a result of that elusive combination of gear, tuning, the person behind the mixer and the talent on stage. Seriously, nothing against the house tech or their Verona but Evan definitely brought it all together for the two bands he mixed (The Summer Set and All Time Low) and made it possible to hear what the Danley system could do. It made me feel my age when I relaized that some of the parents there with their kids were a decade or more younger than me, but I do think I found my calling as a 'speaker stop' and no speakers went wild while I was there!

So that's what heaven looks like! Somehow I thought it would be different.
It depends on your definition. I bet a lot of the girls there thought they were in heaven that night. At least by the way they were acting.

But I bet in heaven-the underwear doesn't come flying off as much as it did that night.

Last edited:

Speaking of definitions, I was a little puzzled by one comment in Evan's post #25. "so the Danley rig was a savor for me". At first I thought it was perhaps a typo, I could see the word being saver as in lifesaver, or the word being savior, as in Thank You Jesus. Then I realized I was being an idiot, that the proper word WAS savor, as in very tasty.
Savor - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Speaking of definitions, I was a little puzzled by one comment in Evan's post #25. "so the Danley rig was a savor for me". At first I thought it was perhaps a typo, I could see the word being saver as in lifesaver, or the word being savior, as in Thank You Jesus. Then I realized I was being an idiot, that the proper word WAS savor, as in very tasty.
Savor - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Nothing like a B&C driver served "Noisette".

Now that I finally remembered while at a computer here's my take.

The venue:
S*** hole. You can see through the floor in places. The walls are flimsy and untreated on one side and stone on the other, so it's not the ideal place to demo a loudspeaker.

The subs:
Tons of output out of a single box. It was uncomfortable to stand near them. I don't know how those kids managed to stand next to them all night. I wasn't driving, but they had great extension and didn't get farty when pushed. If I were looking for a large sub for installation or a box for arena tours with loading docks, this would be it.

The J3.
I'm not completely certain on this one yet. It has output for days and the tonality is good, but there was something harsh about the sound of that box in that room. Not having heard it outside and not having driven the rig, I'm going to chalk that up as a terrible venue messing with the sound. I'd really like to hear it under better circumstances before I pass judgement on it.

pictures:
the man at work:
_DSC6586.jpg

enough haze?
_DSC6664.jpg

Last edited:

Love the elevator. You guys got some brass...

What did you do with all those relics passively radiating behind your system?

Last edited:

Love the elevator. You guys got some brass...

What did you do with all those relics passively radiating behind your system?

It is either get the gear up with the lift-or carry it up some winding stairs (that collapsed a couple of years ago with people on them)

It is a slow process. The load to the lift is on a slant.

That particular gig was a longer load out than normal-due to the police blocking off the area to the lift. Somebody had jumped off a bridge next to the club and killed themselves-so they had to investigate.

I asked the house guy to turn all of his amps on (so as to act as a "brake" on the cones) and mute the DSP.

If it was causing an issue-nobody noticed-or said anything.