Digital signals, explained

Re: Digital signals, explained

Thanks for sharing.

This was well done-very clear-informative etc.

I think this should be a "must watch" for people who deal in digital (which is most of us these days)

It is always good to have a better understanding of what we are talking about-how it comes about-the compromises etc.

The more you understand about how something works-the better you will be at "seeing through the mist" at the reality and what matters and what doesn't.

It may be long, but it is worth every second. There is a version on You Tube that doesn't require that you use an open source browser.

Mac
Agreed.

As usual, the "simple quick answer" is usually the wrong one.

You cannot explain complicated subjects quickly.

It is IMPORTANT to understand HOW things happen and WHY. If you don't then you are just subject to "marketing BS" and are no better than the others that "spout off things" without really knowing what they are talking about.

I guess it just depends on how important learning and understanding is to someone---------------

It reminds me of an old story: There was an old logger who was having a tree chopping contest with a "young whippersnapper".

The idea was to see how many trees each could cut down (with an axe) at the end of the day.

They went to work. At the end of the day the young guy had cut down more trees.

The old timer said-"How can that be-every time I looked at you, you were sitting down".

The young guy said "What you DIDN'T see-was that every time I was sitting down-I was SHARPING MY AXE"

Get SMARTER (by sharping your knowledge) and work better-or else just keep doing the same old thing over and over again-------

I definitely learned the stair step analogy at some point. This was interesting.

As did I. I think we should start using the lollipop analogy now instead. :D~:-D~:grin:

But yes it was a great video and well worth the time to watch. I just had to wait until I got back to work with a real internet connection that would handle it.

Phil will be happy to know that this was the first thing that I found when trying my own research after I asked him about this in ye olde FFT thread.

Here's an article that Monty wrote that helps put the video in perspective: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

And a YouTube version of the video in the OP in case you've never heard of the no doubt excellent work being done by Monty and others at xiph.org: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM

Here's the MIT Open Coursework classes Monty suggests for additional learning:
  1. 6003
  2. 6007
And here's a thread about a similar course from Texas: https://soundforums.net/threads/11454-OCW-for-DSP?p=88979

gotta love them internets... back when I was trying to figure this stuff out I had to buy a book, if I could find one.

JR

PS: Don't tell that guy who wants to transpose his self-help tapes up above 20 kHz.. about this advice.:)

JOHN - are you being mean? :lol::lol::lol:

Being mean would be to encourage him in his nonsense... While who knows, if he really believes it would work there might be a placebo effect (like Neil Young and his it high data rate recordings).

JR

PS: Now that's a little mean.. and I really liked the Buffalo Springfield.

gotta love them internets... back when I was trying to figure this stuff out I had to buy a book, if I could find one.

JR
Back in high school I could be found on weekends at the local college library-down in a far corner in the basement.

I found that they had most of the issues of Popular electronic and other electronics magazines (mainly geared toward the DIY community) on microfilm.

I could make copies for 0.05 each per page.

I basically taught myself electronics by reading and then building and experimenting.

Back then, those magazines were VERY helpful to people like me :).

The college had a very limited selection of actual electronics books.

Yes-times were different back then. Education possibilities was much more limited.

Back in high school I could be found on weekends at the local college library-down in a far corner in the basement.

I found that they had most of the issues of Popular electronic and other electronics magazines (mainly geared toward the DIY community) on microfilm.

I could make copies for 0.05 each per page.

I basically taught myself electronics by reading and then building and experimenting.

Back then, those magazines were VERY helpful to people like me :).

The college had a very limited selection of actual electronics books.

Yes-times were different back then. Education possibilities was much more limited.

I wrote a number of kit articles for Popular Electronics from the mid '70s to the early '80s. At the peak Popular Electronics had a 500,000 circulation, so getting a kit in there was a good thing for sales.

The ARRL handbook was also a good resource, somewhere I have a basic electronics course.

I learned the most from digging into and fixing broken gear..

JR

I learned the most from digging into and fixing broken gear..

JR
That is EXACTLY what go me into this business.

A friend and I were going to "start a band". He had a 5 watt amp that we were going to put into a larger speaker cabinet that I had-so it would look like we had a bigger amp.

It did not work when we tried that.

I remember staring at the parts and saying to myself "How do these parts make the sound louder?"

So I was going to "fix it" (never did).

But it got me reading-and the rest is history (as they say).

Yeah you might move that thread to the basement, I couldn't decide what section to put it in. I watched about 10 of the lectures. The content is great, much more down to earth than the MIT videos were, but the recording method kind of sucks unless you watch it on a computer.

Then we'd have two threads in the basement, which I cannot abide! DIY is a good place for it, and it's very good info.