Disparity in specification: PRX618S-XLF vs VRX918SP

Re: Desparity in specification: PRX618S-XLF vs VRX918SP

"I also think that using one amp for both coils is more efficient. There is no way to match components to such degree that both amp sections will be in sync."

Wow, never heard that one before. I think the engineers at JBL would disagree with you.

For the small venue DJs, it looks like one or two PRX618S-XLFs are a great JBL bang for the buck.

A guy in my area has gone through 3 failed amp modules in 6 months. Granted not with the XLF model, but I found this to be pretty surprising. He's not an abusive user either. I would hope this is just an anomaly.

...The former has a slightly bigger case that makes it more efficient and produces 133 dB vs. 126dB. I also think that using one amp for both coils is more efficient. There is no way to match components to such degree that both amp sections will be in sync.

Your comments are appreciated. Cheers!
You've got to check the fine print... that 126dB max SPL spec on the VRX was measured in free-field conditions. The PRX's specs do not specify how they were measured.

You've got to check the fine print... that 126dB max SPL spec on the VRX was measured in free-field conditions. The PRX's specs do not specify how they were measured.

Right, the VRX can be flown, and it appears JBL publishs specs that reflect the actual usage of the cabinet.