Do you interpret "required SPL" on riders as A or C weighting?

...and the recording/live forums will be filled with

Q: "How could I best mic an electrolux 123-ks kitchen stove and can you recommend how to eq it"?
A: "Use a neuman u47 inside the oven. Best is to run the 110v stove on 243.7vdc using a furman variac with tube recifier and set the oven thermostat on 177 degC and the rest of the controls to 3, 1, 6, 4. Remember to use the hot air option because it will cause the mic to sound much better. Don't forget to use a windscreen due to the air flow!"

But make sure you wire it all up with the $2k/ft twisted pair unicorn hair power cords, otherwise you just won't have the "sound stage" you are looking for.

Last edited:
Re: Do you interpret "required SPL" on riders as A or C weighting?

not bad, but einstürzende neubauten do it with more style
Randy,

Funny you brought them up, they and the Plasmatics rated highest on the noise scale- the Plasmatics used lots of explosives, Einstürzende Neubauten lots of metal.
They have had a long time to perfect how to make noise, I remember before their 6/10/86 First Avenue show the Einstürzende Neubauten guys were out to the local Minneapolis scrapyard to purchase "instruments" :^).
Looks like they hung on to some of them for the last 27 years!

Reports were they buried the needle on the db meter set at "A" scale, 126 dBA+.

Art (what happened to 4 kHz) Welter

But make sure you wire it all up with the $2k/ft twisted pair unicorn hair power cords, otherwise you just won't have the "sound stage" you are looking for.

Oh. Just trigger it and be done with it.

;)

Just to add to the vagaries, are the levels requested peak, average or some time and/or statistical based value (Leq, Ln, etc.)? Is that with slow, fast or impulse response? And even more basic, is it even SPL, after all "dB" is simply a ratio of two values?

If the rider does not specfiy such details then perhaps interpret them as desired. If you're providing the system and someone claims it does not meet the spec then maybe you look at peak levels with C or Z-weighting and fast response, if that is not what they meant but the rider does not specify otherwise then that's their fault.

Randy,

Funny you brought them up, they and the Plasmatics rated highest on the noise scale- the Plasmatics used lots of explosives, Einstürzende Neubauten lots of metal.
They have had a long time to perfect how to make noise, I remember before their 6/10/86 First Avenue show the Einstürzende Neubauten guys were out to the local Minneapolis scrapyard to purchase "instruments" :^).
Looks like they hung on to some of them for the last 27 years!

Reports were they buried the needle on the db meter set at "A" scale, 126 dBA+.

Art (what happened to 4 kHz) Welter

i got to see them in 2005 or 06 and am now disappointed that they werent very loud (i always carry earplugs). unfortunately, hte foh crew was more interested in tracking for a future live release than what the live audience could hear.