Eaw anya!!

Re: Eaw anya!!

Yes, I pretty much thought that too. Also, the 730 bears some resemblence to the Sound Physics Labs "Cube" model-the Cube debuted about six months before the 730 did. Stretch the Cube some horizontally, and...

Best regards,

John

That link was to the KF750, not 730. The KF750 was a "point source" "arrayable" double 12 in the horn flare with coaxial mid and hi drivers in the back of the throat. The drawing is from 2005, but the speaker is in Technology Guide from April 1999.

Mac

I attended a demo with Anya last year, it's very impressive.

It was fun standing on the floor and they just mowed all the sound up on the balcony in real-time, the steering works.

Helge, there is a video from that demo, and to me it sounds quite "phasey" or "flanger like" on the sound taken from the stereo recorder when inside the coverage area.
Was it even slightly like that on real ears? Wouldn't be surprising with all that trickery going on, but......

Helge, there is a video from that demo, and to me it sounds quite "phasey" or "flanger like" on the sound taken from the stereo recorder when inside the coverage area.
Was it even slightly like that on real ears? Wouldn't be surprising with all that trickery going on, but......

No, it did not sound the way you describe, but I didn't hear a single mono source without EFX. I walked the entire coverage area, from floor to top row, and the roughly 270° width of coverage. No public in the seats, so if there was something going on it _might_ have been masked by reflections but I didn't notice any time issues.

Also, Scovill is very much on top of system alignment, voicing and coverage and his system tech from Sound Image was very, very good. It is possible that the recorded demo you heard was not in the same careful hands or that there are issues with the making of the recording, and my bet is on the latter.

That link was to the KF750, not 730. The KF750 was a "point source" "arrayable" double 12 in the horn flare with coaxial mid and hi drivers in the back of the throat. The drawing is from 2005, but the speaker is in Technology Guide from April 1999.

Mac
The 1992 Welter Systems nested horn "virtual single point source" Maltese system predates the KF750 by 7 years.
Martin used offset horn loading, as used in most multiple driver horns now, in the mid to late 1970's.
The Anya design has incorporated the best of many details used in previous designs from the previous century.

Art

Attachments

• 1992 Welter Systems Maltese.jpg
    1992 Welter Systems Maltese.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1

Just caught onto the Anya string so I "finally" registered here... As it turns out my wife's [convection] engineering cousin who was displaced from the thermo-plastics industry in early '14 was hired by Loud/EAW mid-year and is now the product manager for the amplifier segment of Anya's production run. I'll be seeing him at a family schmoo this weekend for the first time since.
He was brought on just after a wave of new hires @ EAW earlier last year. ...should be an interesting chat since he didn't quite realize my background since I've been in another industry for a few years. A number of old Sun Sound buds up here had helped with the rigging, processor settings and beta testing of the KF-850's when the EAW "sun" was also first rising.

It'd be good to see the company be the one that Sun Capital let go back into independence here as a 100% Mass. company.

Having just heard some very favorable comments on the beam-steering capability from one of the Clearwing engineers who've used Anya in a physically wide venue I wondered if anyone had any impressions as to the present software support they're offering. We moved into corporate and defense industry functions some time back and all have their own experiences, pro and con, to share - especially around proprietary app's. The Pres. of General Dynamics is likely far less forgiving then any musician - Prince included - if there's a glitch.

As I read through this string I recalled that Chuck McGregor (former EAW tech. writer and all-around audio guru) and another engineer there would often chime in with a few factory pearls of wisdom, suggestions and witty come-backs. ...almost surprising to now sense the lack of that same input here, but Chuck was a great promoter of both shared wisdom and the company/product accordingly. ...different era maybe.

In any case, the question of buying-in came up related to upcoming goals here. I am so reminded of the power of the old VATA arrangement in terms of inventory and ROI in lieu of total Anya system cost. It's one thing to "not afford it if you need to ask", but rather becomes how many CAN you smartly afford profitably...

...insightful comments or is the string dead-ended?

That keeps the "riff raff" away------------

Hey Ivan,

Some people might consider it inappropriate for a representative of one loudspeaker manufacturer to so actively comment in a thread dedicated to another manufacturer's product. I'm sure you don't mean to disparage EAW or their flagship product, especially at a time when they are putting their entire company's efforts behind building its reputation in the industry. It is difficult to read intention through text, however, and many here have great respect for your opinion. Danley would certainly not appreciate a representative of EAW offering anything but the most positive and unambiguous comments regarding their latest product, I am sure.

Hey Ivan,

Some people might consider it inappropriate for a representative of one loudspeaker manufacturer to so actively comment in a thread dedicated to another manufacturer's product. I'm sure you don't mean to disparage EAW or their flagship product, especially at a time when they are putting their entire company's efforts behind building its reputation in the industry. It is difficult to read intention through text, however, and many here have great respect for your opinion. Danley would certainly not appreciate a representative of EAW offering anything but the most positive and unambiguous comments regarding their latest product, I am sure.
My post did not have that intent at all-nor towards the product or the company-sorry if it was seen as that way

EAW is not alone in the "high buy in" approach.

That can be a good thing (which was the intent of my post) to help insure that the users are of a higher quality/more experience than the average "trunk slammer".

In most cases-the "failure" of a sound system is not so much the product itself-but rather the misuse of the product by people who either don't understand how to use it-don't care or something else. Even the best gear can easily sound like crap if used wrong.

There was no "bad intent" implied on my part-but others may not see it that way-sorry

High performance cars are the same way. If you want a high end Ferrari, it does not matter how much money you have-you have to have a history of Ferrari ownership. That also helps to keep the drivers at a higher caliber and standard.

That is the same general approach if you ask me.

Uh... there's more to the rig than just the speakers. According to my sources the price of entry is about double your estimate.

Of course, but it's my impression that a system can be as small as 4 boxes per side, not that such a system would be good for very much in terms of vertical control in the lower registers, or probably be able to deliver a lot of bass. I do understand that a 24-pack with hardware is going to set you back more than a cool million, and I'm not counting in anything but the Anya-specific bits.