Endfire sub array under a stage

Michael John

Junior
Jun 25, 2011
Sydney, Australia
eclipseaudio.com
I'm considering a 6 element endfire sub arrangement under a stage for an outdoor gig in December. I'm confident of the array aspect - I've modelled the spacing and delays - but was wondering if there are any gotcha's with regards being under the stage? The stage will be open at all sides and only fractionally taller than the subs.

Re: Endfire sub array under a stage

Yes, putting a steered array under a stage will affect it's coverage pattern, in addition to stage vibration problems. Excellent paper on the topic here:
AES E-Library » Subwoofer Positioning, Orientation, and Calibration for Large-Scale Sound Reinforcement

The conclusion: steered subs need open space around them to work the way they should.

Hopefully I don't get in trouble for quoting a copyrighted article, but this really sums it up well:

"...it is evident that subwoofer placement directly underneath the stage can almost eliminate any advantages gained with cardioid polar patterns; the low-frequency SPL on the stage is virtually identical to that in the audience (Figure 22). Moving the subwoofers two meters forward so that they are not underneath the stage results in much lower SPL on stage while preserving the audience area response (Figure 21)." Page 10.

Last edited:

Thanks very much.

The authors focus mainly on cardioid pairs and I don't see any reference to end-fire. For the cardioid, I could understand the stage causing problems. Thinking some more about it, underneath a low stage the cardioid pattern is restricted to the horizontal plane only, and once it exits the front of the stage, may turn almost completely into an omni source emanating from the front of the stage. I guess for end-fire, the net effect could be similar.

Yes, putting a steered array under a stage will affect it's coverage pattern, in addition to stage vibration problems. Excellent paper on the topic here:
AES E-Library » Subwoofer Positioning, Orientation, and Calibration for Large-Scale Sound Reinforcement

The conclusion: steered subs need open space around them to work the way they should.

Hopefully I don't get in trouble for quoting a copyrighted article, but this really sums it up well:

"...it is evident that subwoofer placement directly underneath the stage can almost eliminate any advantages gained with cardioid polar patterns; the low-frequency SPL on the stage is virtually identical to that in the audience (Figure 22). Moving the subwoofers two meters forward so that they are not underneath the stage results in much lower SPL on stage while preserving the audience area response (Figure 21)." Page 10.

Last edited:

The authors focus mainly on cardioid pairs and I don't see any reference to end-fire.
Regardless of the orientation or individual delay, each element of the array is basically omnidirectional.
With the subs within inches of the stage, (no inverse distance loss) the stage sections will vibrate like a diaphragm and transmit the sound on stage at near the same level as if the speakers were on stage.

Is it a configuration like i describe on my blog (which is not my idea but from a tech at Ampco pro rent nl)

http://timobeckmangeluid.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/end-fired-002.png

You better not put this underneath a stage if you want to reduce level on stage . Next to the stage might work ok .
I did some end fired stuff under the stage but this had to do with reducing level behind the stage because of the local rules and the noize police

Hi Michael,

See the post I linked to below. It shows an endfire array that Peter and I used earlier this year.
It performed very well, just as the predictions modelled! Although our main goal was to keep energy from the 2 outside stages I also walked the main stage with the subs running and the levels were quite minimal. Cancellation in the hypercardioid nulls was extremely effective.

Darren

http://soundforums.net/varsity/7065...our-subwoofer-configurations-2.html#post55111

Hi Michael,

See the post I linked to below. It shows an endfire array that Peter and I used earlier this year.
It performed very well, just as the predictions modelled! Although our main goal was to keep energy from the 2 outside stages I also walked the main stage with the subs running and the levels were quite minimal. Cancellation in the hypercardioid nulls was extremely effective.

Darren

http://soundforums.net/varsity/7065...our-subwoofer-configurations-2.html#post55111

@ Micheal

Just to add a little more about that array – It was designed to work so that (for want of a better way of explaining it) the sound could go around the subs and didn’t need to go over the subs to work. Half of the subs (front row) were not under the stage.

I think you could construct a similar array with 6 subs – 1 at the back, 2 in the middle and 3 at the front with a space between each of them.

Also see my earlier post in that thread (22) and Brandon G Romanowski post (23) regarding another array that maybe useful, it offers some reduced SPL at the rear.

Its worth saying, as I do a pretty even mix of Mons and FOH work, that I have yet to meet an artist who likes there to be a big pile of subs under the stage. The vibrations can be a bit much, especially if its a larger venue and therefore a lot of sub energy coming from the array.

I always avoid subs under the stage from that perspective

Its worth saying, as I do a pretty even mix of Mons and FOH work, that I have yet to meet an artist who likes there to be a big pile of subs under the stage. The vibrations can be a bit much, especially if its a larger venue and therefore a lot of sub energy coming from the array.

I always avoid subs under the stage from that perspective

In "ye olde days", if you just put a "big pile of subs" under the stage it would not be good, however, I think we can be a bit smarter than that now.
The proliferation of dsp nowadays has made it much easier to manipulate signals in the time domain. By beam steering it is possible to do this and have very little sub energy on the stage. I believe this is what Michael wants to achieve.
We did the setup that I linked to, in a large room, a 12,000 seat arena. The results were just as modelled. Vibrations were non-existent and sub energy was very low. The stage used was large and heavy duty. My guess is that trying to do this in clubland would probably not give any benefit.

Darren

Last edited:

My guess is that trying to do this in clubland would probably not give any benefit.

And thats the key.

If your stage is sturdy enough, heavy enough, and decoupled from the subs enough, then you can get the benefits of sub arrays even when under a stage. But as soon as you get a small under stage void, the extra boundaries will eliminate the pattern control and make the stage vibrate quickly.

And thats the key.

If your stage is sturdy enough, heavy enough, and decoupled from the subs enough, then you can get the benefits of sub arrays even when under a stage. But as soon as you get a small under stage void, the extra boundaries will eliminate the pattern control and make the stage vibrate quickly.
If the stage is as you say-then what is the point of using directional arrays?

You would get more energy out front if you DON'T use directional arrays.

AND you have to have enough room for the waves for each of the speakers to reach the other in order to work properly.

The whole idea is to have cancellation BEHIND the array-a DISTANCE behind. Right on top of the array there is not going to be much cancellation going on-first because it is in the wrong direction (up and not behind) and second because the distance to the stage is not far enough away from the subs to really do anything.

There are lots of variables and often try to do things just because they can and it makes them "seem cool", NOT because it actually works or has any real benefit.

There isn't one, that's what I'm suggesting.

The exception can be things like large outdoor stages where cancellation onstage is not the sole purpose of a directional array, a reduction in noise offsite backstage is...

There isn't one, that's what I'm suggesting.

The exception can be things like large outdoor stages where cancellation onstage is not the sole purpose of a directional array, a reduction in noise offsite backstage is...
And in that case the back of the stage is open. You don't see that in a club.

Putting a wall a couple of feet (even 10 or 20) behind a "directional" array is going to cause a whole new set of "issues"

You would get more energy out front if you DON'T use directional arrays.

Not sure on the thinking here? Are you getting confused with cardioid arrays? A cardioid array "wastes" some energy in order to get the pattern control, an endfire array does not sacrifice any output. On symmetrical waveforms ie sinewaves etc. the cardioid is ok (though still not perfect) however on complex non symmetrical waveforms such as music it is less effective. The endfire is a much more elegant solution as it uses the same point on the same cycle for the cancellation. This means there is always perfect summation at the front.

AND you have to have enough room for the waves for each of the speakers to reach the other in order to work properly.

The whole idea is to have cancellation BEHIND the array-a DISTANCE behind. Right on top of the array there is not going to be much cancellation going on-first because it is in the wrong direction (up and not behind) and second because the distance to the stage is not far enough away from the subs to really do anything.

The cancellation reduces as the vertical tangent increases. On a large stage this angle is quite low for most of the stage area. On the gig where we utilised this method there were 3 stages, the size of the middle(main) stage was bigger than some clubs I have been in!

There are lots of variables and often try to do things just because they can and it makes them "seem cool", NOT because it actually works or has any real benefit.

Ivan, "it depends"
As I said before, this was a 12,000 seat arena, large stage, no close boundaries etc. In a club sized gig I would be looking at other options.
There certainly isn't a one size fits all solution to sub arrays. The design we used was a modified endfire and gave a hypercardioid response. The null on the main stage was good and on the side stages it was very deep. As you can see from the photos and polars there was some lateral displacement also used as part of allowing for and counteracting the partial understage positioning. A LOT of time went into getting a solution for this gig and I think Peter has a few more grey hairs now because of it, lol.
I find the biggest offenders who want to "do things just because they can and it makes them "seem cool", are BE's! Not all, but most BE's have a lack of technical knowledge that never fails to astound me! And this is a all levels of the industry!
I regularly get them telling me they want external clocks or mega dollar valve comps to make digital consoles sound good, and other assorted audio foolery! But hey, if they think it makes a difference, even if it frustrates me, as a system provider I will happily add it to the invoice.

Darren

Not sure on the thinking here? Are you getting confused with cardioid arrays? A cardioid array "wastes" some energy in order to get the pattern control, an endfire array does not sacrifice any output.
Darren
My statements are based on actual measurements of various sub arrays-in a totally open area measured 20+ meters away in a circle.

Neither configuration (endfire or cardioid) had the same output as the same number of boxes as stacked together.

This is partially due to the increased radiation resistance of the multiple boxes.

If any body doubts it-I HIGHLY suggest they go MEASURE it themselves. I have had various arguments with people over the years about this-but they never actually MEASURE it-they want to be stuck in the modeling world-which does not account for everything.

Measurement trumps "figuring" anytime. There are often many "unaccounted fors" that don't show up until you measure

My statements are based on actual measurements of various sub arrays-in a totally open area measured 20+ meters away in a circle.

Neither configuration (endfire or cardioid) had the same output as the same number of boxes as stacked together.

This is partially due to the increased radiation resistance of the multiple boxes.

If any body doubts it-I HIGHLY suggest they go MEASURE it themselves. I have had various arguments with people over the years about this-but they never actually MEASURE it-they want to be stuck in the modeling world-which does not account for everything.

Measurement trumps "figuring" anytime. There are often many "unaccounted fors" that don't show up until you measure

This is what your program - DDT predicts for your 118.
One plot is 6 them all stacked in the same place (tricky stuff ) the other is 6 of them in an end-fire array similar to the one Darren was describing.

Attachments

• endfire.jpg
    endfire.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

This is what your program - DDT predicts for your 118.
One plot is 6 them all stacked in the same place (tricky stuff ) the other is 6 of them in an end-fire array similar to the one Darren was describing.

Peter,

Jamie Anderson and I measured this exact effect at the second to last get together in MA a few years ago. We found there was about 2dB of loss, fairly broadband, going from the 3 high array to either "bottom box reversed cardioid" or "three in a line really close endfire". I am sure that DDT doesn't show this because, like basically all programs, it doesn't account for acoustic radiation impedance. Doing so is extremely complicated, processor intensive, and prone to error. Basically you have to do a finite element plot for every point you want to predict, much more complicated than the otherwise quite accurate superposition of phase and magnitude most (all?) visual prediction programs use.

Peter,

Jamie Anderson and I measured this exact effect at the second to last get together in MA a few years ago. We found there was about 2dB of loss, fairly broadband, going from the 3 high array to either "bottom box reversed cardioid" or "three in a line really close endfire". I am sure that DDT doesn't show this because, like basically all programs, it doesn't account for acoustic radiation impedance.
Whatever you call it, the 3 high array is actually exhibiting an additional forward gain of two dB because of the increased frontal area compared to the end fire array.
The increased frontal area adds an additional boundary which increases forward directivity.
Even the addition of a single shorted "dummy" cabinet can impart a broadband 1 dB gain, larger "barn doors" can add 3 dB of forward gain.
The forward gain in a wide/tall array is in addition to the 6 dB addition from doubling cone or radiating surface and doubling power.

Multiple Cabinet Combined Response - diyAudio

Horn Extender/Wave-guide for TH - diyAudio

Art