Equipment rumor mill

Re: Equipment rumor mill

Not to be a downer but, can Dave even hear anymore? Last time I saw him he was mixing sideways because he was losing his hearing in his right ear...

And I'd also like to think he endorses it because of his involvement with EAW/Microwedge, and will support it regardless because of the $$. :)

I'm not sure where you got that idea, but Dave started mixing with his desk sideways back in 2010 so he could be more connected with band via an unobstructed view. He posted several blog entries about it if you want to dig through them. As for EAW, Rat has had many opportunities to have EAW or any other system they wanted long after the EAW/MW partnership but has continued to invest in the much more costly K1 systems anyway. If Dave was endorsing EAW solely for money reasons, he would have done it long ago. It's never been about the money with those guys.

I'm not sure where you got that idea, but Dave started mixing with his desk sideways back in 2010 so he could be more connected with band via an unobstructed view. He posted several blog entries about it if you want to dig through them.

Actually, I was there for the first time he did the sideways mix position- his XL4 wouldn't fit in the usual orientation at FOH, so instead of taking a lesser mix position, he flipped his console 90 degrees. I guess it just stuck. :lol: I personally can't stand it, in order to do any real mixing, it just beats the shit out of your left ear.

Evan

Actually, I was there for the first time he did the sideways mix position- his XL4 wouldn't fit in the usual orientation at FOH, so instead of taking a lesser mix position, he flipped his console 90 degrees. I guess it just stuck. :lol: I personally can't stand it, in order to do any real mixing, it just beats the shit out of your left ear.

Evan
Forget about doing a stereo mix with one ear. But then again-how many systems actually produce stereo to more than a few people anyway-----------------

I think a lot of people do "odd things" jsut because they are "different". Not because they are better. It is kinda like a "signature" thing. Just because it is different-does not make it "better".

If it were "better"-how come more people don't do it?

How does he feel more "connected" with the band? They can't even see him with the lights on. To me-I would feel kinda "naked" mixing that way.

Is your computer in front of you or to the side? How about the steering wheel in your car-and it goes on and on.

But that may just be me----------------------

How does he feel more "connected" with the band? They can't even see him with the lights on. To me-I would feel kinda "naked" mixing that way.

I've been on the mix platform with Dave a few times now with the sideways console and it's actually pretty neat having it wide open in front of you. Here's some video from Soundgarden in Lake Tahoe a couple years ago: Soundgarden in Lake Tahoe 2011 - YouTube

The red stripes are the real game changer!
THEN THERE IS THE ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!! Since red cars are "faster"-the red stripes are able to "speed up the sound". And when the speed of sound is faster-our job becomes MUCH easier. We don't have the interference issues from different signal arrivals anymore.

WOW-that really is a 'game changer". Does that also mean that since the sound is traveling faster-that the reverb in the room is less and reflections will not be as much of any issue-since they will arrive at the ear sooner and "mesh" with the original signal-like early reflections?

Most of the problems loudspeaker design suffer from are all time related to the speed of sound and multiple arrivals at the ear from spaced devices. So figuring out how to "tame that" truly WOULD be a game changer-in every sense of the word.

I know how to do it-but the problem is that people (as we currently are constructed) would not be able to exist in the same room as the loudspeakers-and in fact the loudspeakers would not be able to survive in the same room-but it DOES solve (or greatly reduces the problem)-once we get the room temp up to 10,000° or so.

There-you have the solution-it is YOUR job to figure out how to do it. HA

Does it seem strange to me that the latest "crop" of speakers don't have ANY specs? I guess you are just supposed to "believe" and it will somehow "happen". How do you compare to anything else? Maybe the Wizard of OZ was correct-Don't pay any attention to the man behind the curtain------------------------------

If you can't measure it to get a spec-how do you measure it to get predictable performance? How does that get entered into the prediction programs? Or do we not need prediction any more-since all we have to do is to "tell it what to do" and it does it. What if the operator doesn't tell it the right thing?

What if the loudspeaker has a mind of its own and does what IT wants-not what the operator tells it to do? Is it 2001?

Trivia question-Where did the name HAL (the computer) come from in the movie 2001?

Does it seem strange to me that the latest "crop" of speakers don't have ANY specs? I guess you are just supposed to "believe" and it will somehow "happen". How do you compare to anything else? Maybe the Wizard of OZ was correct-Don't pay any attention to the man behind the curtain------------------------------

If you can't measure it to get a spec-how do you measure it to get predictable performance? How does that get entered into the prediction programs? Or do we not need prediction any more-since all we have to do is to "tell it what to do" and it does it. What if the operator doesn't tell it the right thing?

What speakers are you talking about specifically? I distinctly remember a time when no EASE data existed for Jericho products and I was told...don't worry about it...it will work. I think nearly all manufactures push product out the door prior to official release. If someone is willing to pay for your next big thing (game changer?), you would be stupid to say..."nope, not till we get the specs dialed in."

What if the loudspeaker has a mind of its own and does what IT wants-not what the operator tells it to do? Is it 2001?

Trivia question-Where did the name HAL (the computer) come from in the movie 2001?

Ivan, I'm sure the designers can measure it just fine, but I bet a lot of the newer systems can't be adequately represented by current measurement techniques, or in the very least, "single number" notation that many focus on.

For something like Martin MLA, how do you represent it with a few numbers, or even a few graphs? It can be programmed to have any pattern anywhere, virtually endless possibility. Even if it could be narrowed down to a couple basic measurements, would anyone actually be able to understand it? Even with the products with lots of measurements readily available, does it actually help anything if only 5% of people know how to accurately interpret these measurements? You yourself said one of the Danley products is essentially 6 ohm nominal, and people just can't wrap their head around that. And Danley isn't stuff you can buy at Guitar Center either.

The new systems seem to combine amplifiers, DSP, drivers, and boxes together to make a single, cohesive system with far more adjustability than older systems. Anything that is variable is hard to express as single numbers.

And yes - I do understand that there are still drivers in the boxes and that those drivers have numeric specifications - but in the cases of these systems, the sum of the components is greater than the individuals would lead you to believe.

You yourself said one of the Danley products is essentially 6 ohm nominal, and people just can't wrap their head around that. And Danley isn't stuff you can buy at Guitar Center either.

There are quite a few Danley products that do not have "normal" impedances-yet the numbers assigned to them are the "normal" ones that people know and love and "understand".

But we also provide a impedance graph so the "more educated" user can really see what is going on.

Some new products have a 8 ohm "rating" but really they present more of a 10-12 ohm load to the amp. So the "educated" user can easily determine what sort of load the amp is really seeing. The people who don't look very far at least have a harder time messing things up this way.

Hence the reason for providing ACTUAL DATA.

And if they are not going to provide actual data-then how about some MEASURED-NOT SIMULATED!!! data from a bunch of different mic positions in a typical venue? Up close-far away-off to the side and so forth. Then compare that data to the predicted data and see how well it lines up?

At least that gives somewhat of an idea of performance.

But to simply say "you can do anything you want with it" -is a bunch of bologna if you ask me/ Let's see something to back it up-that is REAL and not simulated.

Remember that a prediction is only as good (if it is lucky) as the data it is based on. And if there is no data------------------you get my point.

There are all sorts of "games" that you can play with prediction programs. Understanding that is a good start towards reality.

Not to be a downer but, can Dave even hear anymore? Last time I saw him he was mixing sideways because he was losing his hearing in his right ear...

And I'd also like to think he endorses it because of his involvement with EAW/Microwedge, and will support it regardless because of the $$. :)

Evan
It's been my experience that if you swing your dick around really hard, you might actually end up stepping on it. There must be a back story to you saying something like this. I always thought Dave was like the greatest guy around?

It's been my experience that if you swing your d**k around really hard, you might actually end up stepping on it. There must be a back story to you saying something like this. I always thought Dave was like the greatest guy around?

It seems like for that case centrifugal force would keep it up off the floor. Stepping on it could only happen if not swinging it around very hard. Also you would need to have usually short legs.

JR

It seems like for that case centrifugal force would keep it up off the floor. Stepping on it could only happen if not swinging it around very hard. Also you would need to have usually short legs.

JR

There is no such thing as centrifugal force. What most people refer to as centrifugal force is actually an imaginary reactive force that is equal and opposite of the centripetal force caused by circular motion.

The body member referred to in the motion may also be imaginary.

I have.

Why dont you just go ahead and qoute the posts you have in mind :)

It's this one where it's explained as a joke, at least the way I read it.

Actually, I was there for the first time he did the sideways mix position- his XL4 wouldn't fit in the usual orientation at FOH, so instead of taking a lesser mix position, he flipped his console 90 degrees. I guess it just stuck. :lol:

Evan

Chris