Favorite mid-range powered speaker

Dan Brown

Freshman
Jan 11, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
www.reachcomm.net
All,

Looking for opinions on your favorite middle of the line powered speakers.

Specifically we recently sold some of our older powered speakers and are looking at replacing them.

Budget wise we are looking at something in the $1000/ea range dealer cost
So maybe up to the low $2000/ea list price.

We are looking to get 12" and horn tops and single 18" subs
These are for small events but would like good output from them.

We have a bunch of Nexo so we are not looking for higher end boxes :)

The current boxes we are looking at are
EV ETX
JBL SRX800
Presonus Studiolive AI PA

QSC KW isn't currently on the list as we feel these other options are better
Yamaha DXR - we have a bunch and they work well but are looking for something with more output and upgraded sound.

Any choices that I am missing

db

Re: Favorite mid-range powered speaker

Do you have DXRs or DSRs? The DXR is closer to a K12, the DSR is more like the KW122.

I'm also excited to hear the SRX800 series, but I don't think they've hit the street yet.

Bennet has reported that the Presonus boxes sound very good, and had voicing input from the Fulcrum guys. Unfortunately I haven't heard these yet either.

Evan seems to love his PRX612M units. Not sure if the PRX712 is what you're looking for, but I'd consider it as an option for mid-level box if you can't wait or want a slightly lower cost than the SRX812P. It should be above the DXRs, and at least a smidgeon better than the DXR. I also like the PRX series subs for what they are - they don't disappoint for a single 18. As far as a system solution goes, around the 1k mark, a pile of PRX712P and PRX718XLF would be my first choice for the kind of events you're sending them out on. The PRX stuff runs with plenty of output for me, but I don't usually mix above 98dB C Slow at FoH.

What the issue(s) with QSC K's?

I have found them to be very useable and sonically pleasing. I recently got to dismantle a a K12 and was very impressed by attention to detail in unseen places.

All,

thanks for the input

QSC K or KW - We are hoping to get something with a newer design, lighter, higher output.
Also no matter what the cab, we are hoping to find a cab using FIR filters and fairly flat phase.

The sub we are looking for a high output single 18"
We have tried several 15" and some 18" and haven't found one yet that sounds better and gets louder than our old Mackie SWA1801 originals - sad to say.

Mike,
does the FBT cab use FIR filters or is it a simple design.

db

How about a 14? I'm interested in checking these out.
http://fbtusa.com/products/mitus/mitus-114a/

Let me echo that Mitus and FBT Promaxx 14a (similar configuration) are both exceptional.

I wasn't aware that FBT had us distribution again? Also these boxes would be out of your putative budget, unless they've discounted them.

---

Dan,

Based on measurements I made on those boxes 3 years ago (that I cannot find), FBT was definitely using some phase linearization processing, if that is what you're wondering about by asking about FIR.

-Phil

I have been using the Presonus for a few months now. Satisfied for what I needed...a 3-way I could lift up onto a stand. Have not pushed them yet.

Let me echo that Mitus and FBT Promaxx 14a (similar configuration) are both exceptional.

I wasn't aware that FBT had us distribution again? Also these boxes would be out of your putative budget, unless they've discounted them.

---

Dan,

Based on measurements I made on those boxes 3 years ago (that I cannot find), FBT was definitely using some phase linearization processing, if that is what you're wondering about by asking about FIR.

-Phil

+1

I would check out the FBT’s – I have not heard them but I have heard good reports. I have some of their 18” subs and for the price I paid for them they are fantastic.

http://fbtusa.com/products/subline/subline-18sa/

I would also check out RCF’s new HD32a, and their 8004 sub (expensive).

http://www.rcf.it/en_US/professional-speaker-systems/d-line/hd-32-a
http://www.rcf.it/en_US/professional-speaker-systems/sub-series/sub-8004-as

The JBL PRX612m's have made me tons of money. They work day in and day out, and sound pretty good doing it. Out of 18, I've had trouble with 2- one was a bad amp module, the other was a bad mic/line button. They've been pounded on, rained on, dropped(Whoops) and run balls to the walls in the summer heat. They earned my seal of approval. I don't have a ton of experience with the PRX700 series, but I'm sure they're nice too.

Evan

Give the DSR112's a shot. They are definitely a step up from the DXR's you have. My personal opinion is that they are the best sounding and loudest 12" box in their price range.

Their only fault is that they don't go really low without a sub. If you use them over subs, they are very impressive (I use mine at >90Hz over subs or for solo/duo work with guitars and vocals).

Give the DSR112's a shot. They are definitely a step up from the DXR's you have. My personal opinion is that they are the best sounding and loudest 12" box in their price range.

Their only fault is that they don't go really low without a sub. If you use them over subs, they are very impressive (I use mine at >90Hz over subs or for solo/duo work with guitars and vocals).

I'm happy with our DSR112 boxes, I have a handful and they have an excellent amount of power for a MI powered box, I have yet to hit the limiter on them. They do well as an all purpose box , nice for small events, decent as a wedge to.
So far solid performance all around, I like them, and the musicians like them, and they make money, and they have a good warranty, as long as they hold up i'd say they = GOOD:D~:-D~:grin:

Cheers!

Yeah, DSR112's and the PRX718XLF, OR the QSC KW118 would probably be the best thing you could buy at Banjo Center. Other than that, I've been impressed with RCF's offerings. Haven't heard the FBT or Mitus stuff.

BTW, the DSR112 is an FIR processed box. Very well limited too. Then there's always the Fulcrum FA range. These are the guys that invented what Presonus is using in their boxes. But with much higher fit and finish.

http://www.fulcrum-acoustic.com/products/fa-portable.html

Definitely the PRX range. We've got a whole pile of 600 and 700 and use them for a wide range of applications. As such, the r.o.i. is phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone

---

Dan,

-Phil

Yes, FBT does have new distribution in the U.S.A. I misread the OP, thinking Dan was looking for a street price up to $2k. Based on MY discounts these would sell well below that but would still be twice the cost of some of the cheaper speakers being suggested in the thread.

FBT confirms that their products do NOT use FIR processing.

Should we always assume that anything with FIR is inherently better than IIR, particularly in the audio range?