FREE SUB PLAN: Dual Lab12 (Front Loaded) by Welter Systems

Sep 12, 2012
SW Ontario
Re: FREE SUB PLAN: Dual Lab12 (Front Loaded) by Welter Systems

How much $$ went into each completed sub?

I reckon somewhere between $450-550, perhaps as high as $600 per box. I'm in Canada so I don't know what pricing is like on your side of the border but I would imagine it is a bit lower than here.

Cabs were built with 13-ply Baltic Birch which I had to special order. Grills, Handles and jacks were ordered from Penn Elcom, fasteners were from Fastenal. I used the cheapest rust paint I could find, but I'm considering buying a gallon of Duratex and putting a few coats on each cab.

Sep 12, 2012
SW Ontario

Couple more pics, used a flat black spray can to blackout of the hardware, improves the aesthetics of the cab quite a bit I think (and we all know better looking cabs sound better too!). Currently fighting the urge to try out the Smither's Wedge project now, I've caught the fever! :lol:

Photo 2013-08-07 11 18 05 AM.jpg
Photo 2013-08-07 11 19 02 AM.jpg

Just curious what the calc system sensitivity spec is. Does it come out to just 3db greater then the spec of the individual Lab driver, as you are using two together?

(I am interested in the design, but need to be sure that that the sensitivity is relatively compat w/ my tops, which comes out to 97db 1w/1m)

Thx,DB

you would be looking at 400 watts/driver or 800 continuous or 1600 program.

If you want to play the ''peak'' game then 3200 watts.

I would suggest an amp in the range of 100-1500 watts.

Now what the impedance is-That is another question. The drivers are rated for 6 ohms each. So it might be a 3 ohm cabinet.

But it would be good to have an actual impedance curve of the drivers int he cabinet to have a better idea of what real load is.[/QUOTE]

Art Welter

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Florida

Just curious what the calc system sensitivity spec is. Does it come out to just 3db greater then the spec of the individual Lab driver, as you are using two together?

(I am interested in the design, but need to be sure that that the sensitivity is relatively compat w/ my tops, which comes out to 97db 1w/1m)
Duncan,

Sensitivity is around 93 one watt one meter, impedance is low so output may be similar to your top cabinet if it is 8 ohm.

The Bass Box Pro simulations below seem to agree well with the measurements I have done on the actual cabinets.
I have a pair available for sale if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• WS Lab 12.png
    WS Lab 12.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 19