From where I sit....

Re: From where I sit....

JR....

I saw your post. Deleting it further undermines any remaining credibility. What happened to, ''I do not agree with what you say but I will defend until death your right to say it''?

Too much 800 pound gorilla and no Diane Fossey.

I don't want to talk about anyone in any sort of derogatory way, but how do Mac and the other moderators just sit there and take this? They aren't employed by PSW, they can leave at any time, right?

Moderators DO receive a stipend from PSW, and I'm sure it is not nearly enough to compensate them for what they have to deal with right now.

I mentioned that my post on the new PSW forums regarding PMs was locked by Chad after Fowler answered my question. When I put up another post regarding features I asked ''will this one get locked, too?'' Chad replied that he locked the post as the question had been answered. Not seeing locks on other completed queries I interpret this as being labeled a ''problem child.''

I'm afraid Electronic Home Publishing has done significant damage to the PSW brand, particularly with those of us who understand the concept of a professional community.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

I don't want to talk about anyone in any sort of derogatory way, but how do Mac and the other moderators just sit there and take this? They aren't employed by PSW, they can leave at any time, right?

It isn't really clear to me what exactly is going on...and I won't speculate because I know I don't know.

Many of us who have been around the forum for years truly want it to remain a success, and will take a certain amount of abuse before giving up, that surely includes the mods too.

Poor management of dissent, and a difficult transition to a place most don't want to go is compounding community unease. Nobody embraces change without some kind of payoff. The asset is the community and the community can't be made to do something it doesn't want to do, by simple fiat of forum management. While conversely the community apparently can't make management do everything we want either.

This will result in a win, lose, or draw. Time will tell, which and for whom. I vote for a win-win, but that isn't looking good so far. A lose-lose is always possible.

JR

When I put up another post regarding features I asked ''will this one get locked, too?'' Chad replied that he locked the post as the question had been answered. Not seeing locks on other completed queries I interpret this as being labeled a ''problem child.''

I see an alternative explanation. Imagine how few posts there would be if each thread about the best kick drum mic was locked as soon as someone replied with ''D6,'' ''Beta52A,'' or ''2500DE.'' Perhaps his plan to trim the PSW IT budget is to quash discussions after he perceives a satisfactory answer has been posted.
icon_rolleyes.gif

As Tim has already said, they do receive a stipend for their services.

If you haven't noticed, Mac hasn't posted very much in the last several days on either the new or old forums. And neither have Craig or Dave. I'm sure they are all caught between a rock and a hard place. I know from speaking to Mac personally, that he wasn't pleased about the transition.

Hopefully we'll see them all over here when the time is right. And I know that this community is strong enough to not hold any hard feelings and welcome them with open arms.

JR....

I saw your post. Deleting it further undermines any remaining credibility. What happened to, ''I do not agree with what you say but I will defend until death your right to say it''?

Too much 800 pound gorilla and no Diane Fossey.

I certainly do hope that Mac, more than any single moderator who isn't already here (that means you, DD), can make his way over to this site. His working knowledge is invaluable.

All that paranoia about causing offense to powers that be is just fucking stupid.

For the time being I am just keeping in touch over there and keeping my words brief and uncontroversial. (wouldn't want to get banned--at least not until the time is right
icon_twisted.gif
) We shall see what happens.

I mentioned that my post on the new PSW forums regarding PMs was locked by Chad after Fowler answered my question. When I put up another post regarding features I asked ''will this one get locked, too?'' Chad replied that he locked the post as the question had been answered. Not seeing locks on other completed queries I interpret this as being labeled a ''problem child.''

I'm afraid Electronic Home Publishing has done significant damage to the PSW brand, particularly with those of us who understand the concept of a professional community.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

It seems that Chad is not making many friends these days. I am hopeful that the response thus far is becoming an invaluable lesson for him regarding ''the customer is always right''. It certainly is very unfortunate.

I just had a post disappeared over there and I wasn't even talking about the constitution or social issues (whatever those are).

This is pretty disappointing. I enjoyed that community.

If course nothing happened to the people.

It's not too late for them to see the light, but good will is dissipating quickly.

aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

JR

I saw that post, and figured it would be gone in minutes. It was. I might log back in there, if I receive more PM's.

I am logging in to keep looking for people to invite, and keeping up with PM's and business in progress, but i am refraining from commenting on anything new.

The number of posts per day have dropped off by a couple orders of magnitude.

I have received several invites to here via PM. It is astounding how quickly the LAB has become deserted. About half of today's post are telling the poster to use their real name.

Gosh, when I started last August it was ''please change your profile to show your real name''. I suppose it is not a fun board to moderate this week.
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_sad.gif