Has anybody layed hands on the mackie DL1608 yet?

I remember looking at this when it was announced and dismissing it because it only had 4 auxes. I recently looked again and see that it has 6 auxes now. I am officially interested!

Does anyone know if the auxes can all be selected pre/post? Also can the dynamics and eq be placed pre/post aux send?

This mixer now seems like a lot of bang for the buck. I really don't like the studiolive consoles, but I think I could really get into this as my "briefcase" mixer.

Re: Has anybody layed hands on the mackie DL1608 yet?

I remember looking at this when it was announced and dismissing it because it only had 4 auxes. I recently looked again and see that it has 6 auxes now. I am officially interested!

Does anyone know if the auxes can all be selected pre/post? Also can the dynamics and eq be placed pre/post aux send?

This mixer now seems like a lot of bang for the buck. I really don't like the studiolive consoles, but I think I could really get into this as my "briefcase" mixer.

I think the Mackie DL 1608 is a really good design. Theres a lot of flexibility in it's design. I'm hoping they are successful as I would be looking at the 24 channel version if it comes out. They could have picked something else besides the ipad though... or atleast make their own tablet with wide screen that just works with the board (or team up with a chinese pad maker in the 16:9 form factor).

The flying fader may be obsolete very soon.

They could have picked something else besides the ipad though... or atleast make their own tablet with wide screen that just works with the board.

R&D Costs for iPad development = CHEAP - an iPad and a Macbook with iOS software development kit + huge community of available programmers/testers

R&D Costs for custom tablet development = HUGE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ - + unnecessarily having to reinvent the wheel for many basic functions the iPad already supports.

Even if they did design their own tablet, it would be impossible to compete with the iPad manufacturing costs based on the tiny pro sound market sales volume. And the iPad integration is actually a good marketing move, it commands more attention than something custom

For stuff like this, understand that the pro sound market is really really tiny compared to other markets, and so manufacturers typically wait to piggyback on innovation in other sectors to leverage in their designs and maintain a reasonable profit.

R&D Costs for iPad development = CHEAP - an iPad and a Macbook with iOS software development kit + huge community of available programmers/testers

R&D Costs for custom tablet development = HUGE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ - + unnecessarily having to reinvent the wheel for many basic functions the iPad already supports.

Even if they did design their own tablet, it would be impossible to compete with the iPad manufacturing costs based on the tiny pro sound market sales volume. And the iPad integration is actually a good marketing move, it commands more attention than something custom

For stuff like this, understand that the pro sound market is really really tiny compared to other markets, and so manufacturers typically wait to piggyback on innovation in other sectors to leverage in their designs and maintain a reasonable profit.

And how many people already have an iPad so they don't even need to buy the tablet?

And how many people already have an iPad so they don't even need to buy the tablet?

It would be nice if they published the control commands so it could be ported to android or other platforms or even allow a custom interface to be programmed. I understand A&H does that with the IDR.

It would be nice if they published the control commands so it could be ported to android or other platforms or even allow a custom interface to be programmed. I understand A&H does that with the IDR.

and there are some cheap android pads out there...they can use the lowest processor and will get away with it. All it is is just an interface.

Not due out till September.

(that's the current story, we'll see in September.)

I'm pretty sure I want one for a backup/B rig , but I'm not holding my breath.

Mackie has stretched the window to 2 years before.

and there are some cheap android pads out there...they can use the lowest processor and will get away with it. All it is is just an interface.
iPad 1 streets at about $250. How cheap are you looking for, and with what build quality?

It's OK to be an apple hater, but you just can't get around the fact that it is the most popular tablet available and there are MILLIONS of them on the used market just waiting to be repurposed into POS devices, mixer front ends, smart home remotes, VNC remotes, etc, etc. Basically anywhere you need a reliable touchscreen interface with an easy software interface you'll find an ipad.

It's economics, not brand preference.

For instance, you could outfit a 4 piece party band with 5 ipad 1's and the DL1608 for 2250 street. Let's call that 2500 after you toss in a case and router. Then you have an ipad in the board that can play tracks and record. Plus you get 4 mic-stand mounted ipads that not only control monitor mixes but could serve up charts using any of the commercially available chart/sheet music apps on the market. What else can you get for 2500 bucks that offers this flexibility?

Add a 6th ipad for a FOH guy and you've got a seriously flexible operation.....

It's OK to be an apple hater, but you just can't get around the fact that it is the most popular tablet available and there are MILLIONS of them on the used market just waiting to be repurposed into POS devices, mixer front ends, smart home remotes, VNC remotes, etc, etc. Basically anywhere you need a reliable touchscreen interface with an easy software interface you'll find an ipad.

I don't really care about what OS they put in it... I just want a different form factor. 4:3 doesn't do it for me.

I don't really care about what OS they put in it... I just want a different form factor. 4:3 doesn't do it for me.

There are some pretty valid reasons why the iPad uses a 4:3 screen ratio, it's not something they take lightly. You may not like the form factor, but you will have to wait if you want something else, iOS devices are the current mobile devices that get developer priority on just about every platform. If the market was screaming for widescreen tablets, Apple would follow the money trail, they aren't foolish. Android tablets are an afterthought to most companies.

Put a stripe of black gaff tape at the top and bottom of the screen, to letterbox it.

;)

ive never owned an apple product, but i'd buy an ipad over and android tablet (and linux/android are my laptop/mobile phone systems!)

Not directly relevant but iPads and iPad accessories were everywhere at InfoComm this year, both in the products offered and with the attendees. Just about every manufacturer would show you their iPad app and then add "...and we also have it for Android tablets."

Mackie sent a pile of "now shipping" announcements out 8/3 then "went dark" about this product. No production units have been spotted "in the wild" AFAIK. Anybody seen one or heard what issue stopped them from shipping?

50k pre-orders they are catching up on. I played with one on Friday and commented over on ProSoundWeb.
Note my "In the wild" comment. I saw nothing in your "comment" over there that said anything about where you saw it or if it was a production or beta unit? Every single one I've heard about was the latter. Mackie was using the 50k pre-orders as an excuse for not one single unit being reported as received by a regular user who pre-ordered one. Sweetwater is reporting October at the earliest for revealing any at all - even to satisfy their preorders.