Has anybody layed hands on the mackie DL1608 yet?

Re: Has anybody layed hands on the mackie DL1608 yet?

Wonder how it will do outside in the sunshine? I have much difficulty seeing my iPad, even under the tent, when using it with my Studio Live.

Wonder how it will do outside in the sunshine? I have much difficulty seeing my iPad, even under the tent, when using it with my Studio Live.
Well, since it uses the same exact iPad I suspect it will do exactly the same, no :) ? Is yours a "1", "2", or "3"? Anybody know if they make a polarizing (or some other) filter for it that would help?

The studio live screen uses a lot of light blue, silver, etc. Doesn't help to make it easy to view

If Mackie uses more black in the display, it will help with seeing it in bright light.

One thing about this mixer is: what is Mackie going to do when apple changes the connector
The rumor I've heard is all I-Pods/Pads/phones etc get a different (smaller) connector starting next year
Going to be a lot of obsolete docking stations.

Not directly relevant but iPads and iPad accessories were everywhere at InfoComm this year, both in the products offered and with the attendees. Just about every manufacturer would show you their iPad app and then add "...and we also have it for Android tablets."

I fight with the touch screen on my phone, I fight with the touch screen at the atm, I fight with the touch screen at the grocery, and fight with the touchscreens in my college classrooms. I don't really care about brand, I can't get excited about mixing on anything with a touch screen.

Had one of these in our shop today. All I can say is for the price (and if you already have an iPad) this is a great desk. Obviously it is going to be marketed for the price point, so I wouldn't think I would see many people in the "larger A/V" houses rushing to order them, but bands, bars, bar band sound guys, and small PA on a stick people will LOVE the feature set. It is VERY easy to get around on, has all the control you could think of needing, and sounds pretty good. If the iPad loses sink for some reason it will continue to pass audio from the last state the "mixer" was in. Re syncing takes about 2-5 seconds which is WAY faster than any of the other iPad controllable consoles on the market. Any other questions let me know and I will try to answer them!

The one I used was real, our rep brought it. Connected, passing signal, ran through everything, could have mixed a small band.

Any specific questions? I have been using Midas a lot recently, the Pro1 and the GLD, which are what I consider the lowest cost pro mixers. Excuse me if I'm not gushing over how awesome the Mackie/Presonus/X32/whatever cheap console of the month is. For the price point, especially if your frame of reference is analog Mackie, it's a fun little mixer. We'll see how the market plays out with using an iPad as an essential component.

I noticed today that much of the sub-$1k target market is typically non-technical. Putting wireless, comps, gates, etc into those hands seems to be asking for trouble. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

Caleb

It looks ideal for those of us doing private parties where we often get stuck mixing side-stage :( . I certainly wouldn't mind retiring my snake even when it can be used - it's often a tripping hazard even though I carry a few sections of cable ramp. It will also save ~20 minutes of "snake wrangling" time and pack space. My RCF 310A's over TH-Mini's rig fits in my hatchback car but it sure is a tight fit to get everything in there including the 8 monitors I carry LOL.

DL32 version

Would love to see a 32 channel version :) ... since it's so ipad dependent, might as well just have only have mic inputs on the board and control all the gains etc... through the software/ipad. It allows a lot of freedom in terms of designing the interface. Unlike the x32, the interface looks exactly like the board (which is a drawback because the software is limiting the capabilities of the board).

I fight with the touch screen on my phone, I fight with the touch screen at the atm, I fight with the touch screen at the grocery, and fight with the touchscreens in my college classrooms. I don't really care about brand, I can't get excited about mixing on anything with a touch screen.

I will do anything humanly possible to avoid touchscreens. A big +1 here. Give me a board with a well-designed UI with some function keys next to the screen.

I will do anything humanly possible to avoid touchscreens. A big +1 here. Give me a board with a well-designed UI with some function keys next to the screen.
The touchscreen on my Phonic Summit is pretty good - I think all the functionality is available on the buttons and encoder also.

Re: DL32 version

Sweetwater and GC got them in today. I cancelled my pre-order with another store and have one coming in from Sweetwater. Contrary to what Mackie has been saying about there being 2-4 weeks of pre-orders to fill they both received more units than they had pre-sold. Mine was supposed to go out today but shows as boxed but no tracking number yet :( . If it goes out tomorrow I still should get it Friday :) .

I just saw this on the local Craigslist here in DC.... so apparently they have made it into the real world. I don't know how many people are going to be lining up to give this joker a $1500 deposit to rent a console, but you gotta give him credit for at least trying not to get robbed on craigslist. I love the internet.

Screen Shot 2012-09-06 at 10.33.48 AM.png

Heck, anybody wanting to see one in action I'll be doin' a free outdoor concert in Putnam, CT 7-10pm Friday 9/14. It's a "dry" event though :( .

That doesn't sound good. DOA? Doesn't anyone make a decent product anymore!?
It wasn't DOA - but it did demand a firware update and maybe that didn't go 100%. After that it worked with the iPad docked but the iPad couldn't get it's ID and the DL1608 wouldn't pull an IP from my router so couldn't communicate with the iPad wirelessly. The DL1608 was also ignoring the "force reupdate" button on the back which is supposed to be impossible - they had me next day it back to their engineers for a look-see. The new one crashed into "firmware update" mode once a few hours after I powered it up - I was able to reboot it from the iPad wirelessly and it came back. Not feelin' the "warm and fuzzies" here but I'll leave it running for a few days and see if it does it again.

All part of living on the "bleeding edge" I suppose LOL . It's no worse that the first Presonus StudioLives :) .

Last edited: