Help me understand Avid's consoles and software

Re: Help me understand Avid's consoles and software

Along this note, it's usually the plugins that take a while to load. The VENUE software tends to be pretty quick.

The plugins load in order. So it's smart to put your mains output plugins first, at which point audio will pass through the desk without interruption as it continues to load plugins that are not on the 'iPod' channel, or whatever house music playback you have as source.

At the festivals we do, you already are going to have to have a processor that can handle multiple inputs from a second console to deal with MC, playback, video, etc OR run the Avid and any guest consoles into the second desk for matrixing.

Remember the Avids can take more than a full minute to load a show completely by the time it is finished loading all the plugins. That is too long for the PA to be off in my opinion.

Jason

Agree entirely, I'm not sure why more people don't do this. as Jason said, your head amp setting stays with the input patch, not the channel...

So definitely store your first snapshot as head amp gains, by scoping all channels, and selecting 'pre' as the functional scope.

If you need to repatch, just Recall that snapshot afterwards, and you should be good to go. Additional point of note, when you have stereo channels, be sure that the PAD or 48V is engaged or disengaged on BOTH sides before you make channels stereo.

I would suggest creating a snapshot that only includes preamp settings. That way if you run into a festival situation that won't patch you one to one, you can recall that snapshot and be ready to go. Preamp settings stay with the input, not the channel. Make sense?

The laptop running the software situation works very well at festivals. Even if some alignment is being done in the console, the tech can add that in on the laptop before loading the show on the actual console. I have to say though I've never run into that. Pretty much everyone on the level of providing Venue at a festival has Lake/Galileo/XTA/Armonia/etc.

No. The closest thing it has is VCA Spill, where you double-click on a VCA select to have the assigned channels take over the input sections. Also works on group masters.

I believe in 24 bus/variable group mode, the spills don't work (at least the group spill). Very annoying...

No. The closest thing it has is VCA Spill, where you double-click on a VCA select to have the assigned channels take over the input sections. Also works on group masters.

Bummer. I've gotten really used to the CL5 where my faders for each song are only the faders I need. Hopefully they remedy this with the S6L.

What happens when I load a show from another console that uses plugins that the new console doesn't have?

On the S3L System there are custom user layers ( basically just one but you can store them in snapshots and recall them)
and spill works fine in 24 bus mode on all groups as I recall.
only thing is: when you put some groups in a vca group (like a clean and a compressed drum group) and you spill the vca group you can't go further and spill the audio groups that are in this vca group.
i hope you can understand this.... A lot of groups.... :)

And for the missing plugins: you'll get a message and the plugin will be disabled

Along this note, it's usually the plugins that take a while to load. The VENUE software tends to be pretty quick.

The plugins load in order. So it's smart to put your mains output plugins first, at which point audio will pass through the desk without interruption as it continues to load plugins that are not on the 'iPod' channel, or whatever house music playback you have as source.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize their order was the actual order they load in. Either way, though, I have no control of that at a Festival as it is all previously constructed guest files supplied by the artists BE.

Jason

Bummer. I've gotten really used to the CL5 where my faders for each song are only the faders I need. Hopefully they remedy this with the S6L.

What happens when I load a show from another console that uses plugins that the new console doesn't have?

The plugins just stay gray and don't load. Nothing bad happens just you can't use the plugin.

RE: VCA splash, that will mostly do what you are doing with your custom fader layer, except you can not adjust the order unless you adjust the order of the channels on the desk patch.

You can leave a DCA called SPLASH , and assign different channels per scene and recall as needed.

Jason

Ok, I have a file now from my first show on this console. It was a festival with no soundcheck and the provider had a festival layout where he already had some plug-ins used. Can you tell me if any of these are "standard" in that I could expect them to be on most consoles?

Smack!
Massey De:Esser
Massey CT5
EQ 3 7-band
ReVibe
Pitch
Slap Delay
Echo Farm

Ok, I have a file now from my first show on this console. It was a festival with no soundcheck and the provider had a festival layout where he already had some plug-ins used. Can you tell me if any of these are "standard" in that I could expect them to be on most consoles?

Smack!
Massey De:Esser
Massey CT5
EQ 3 7-band
ReVibe
Pitch
Slap Delay
Echo Farm

The Massey plugins and echo farm are not Avid and I would not expect them on most consoles.

Do you think Echo Farm might be the Line 6 Echo Farm? (http://www.avid.com/US/resources/venue-bundled-plugins)

Are the VenuePack 4 plugins normally installed?

What would be a factory substitution I could use for the Massey?

Doh! You are correct. I see a lot of people with echo boy which is a purchased plugin.

There is a stock Avid deesser which is fine and smack! Is a fair replacement for the ct5. The Massey plugins are great and inexpensive, but if I recall correctly they are not ilok authorized so the installation and uninstallation procedure includes entering a serial number and then deauthorizing the plugin when finished.

I think echofarm is the only one on that list that was added to the later Venue Packs..... You might need to ask ahead of time.