How to mic an Oboe and Clarinet

David Luscombe

Sophomore
Mar 24, 2011
Hi All

Just curious to know how you might mic an oboe and clarinet in a orchestra pit situation for a musical.

We are using Electric drums and the guitars are in Iso Cabs and everybody is using headphones for monitoring so the pit noise will be just things like trumpets other wind instruments.

This is for Cats if that makes a difference.

Cheers Dave

Re: How to mic an Oboe and Clarinet

SDC aimed at about two tgirds of the way down the instrument about 1 1/2 feet away for clarinet and oboe and a SDC aimed at the lip plate for flutealso about 1 1/2 feet away. I've used KM184s, Sennheiser 451s and AT 3031s. I don'r really like the SM 81 on woodwinds.

Most mic manufacturers have application guides for their products to get you started. Here's a link to get you started:

DPA Microphones :: Application Guide: Miking a Clarinet

My usual advice is to get in there and use your ears to ascertain sound level, direction and quality. Find the sweet spot and put your mic of choice there. Be aware of your nulls as well as your on-axis orientation.

Hi

Thanks for the ideas so far!!

Still interested to see if anyone has other ideas!!

Cheers Dave

I'd do two mics each on the oboe and clarinet - one pointed at around the level of the player's left hand, and the other straight up the bore at the bell end. (No giggles from British members...) Give them both about as much distance as your gain-before-feedback situation will allow. The flute is a whistle, and most of the noise comes from the blowhole, I'd use a vocal mic, or at least something with a good wind screen, and get as close to the player's mouth as you can, slightly off-axis so they're not blowing right at the microphone.

Back when I played oboe (yes for real) I didn't need no stinkin' mic. I just played out! In high school I was known as the "rock and roll oboe player". Oboe and electric guitar-why not?

What is a burning oboe good for? Lighting a bassoon on fire.

How many oboe players does it take to change a light bulb? Just one-but he has to go through 20 to find just the right one.

How do you get 2 oboe players to play in tune? Shoot one of them. But seriously- my dad (who was also an oboe player and music professor) once did a performance with 100 oboe and bassoon players-no other instruments. Interesting------------------------------------------------

What were oboe and bassoons first used as? Instruments of war-the sound would scare the enemy. It still does to most people.

Yes I still have 2 oboes-a late 1800's and a modern.

57's work for me-but a nice condenser is preferred. It all depends on what is available.

Now back to your regular programming---------------------

Back when I played oboe ...

...57's work for me-but a nice condenser is preferred. It all depends on what is available.

Now back to your regular programming---------------------

I did Paul McCandless once, but have absolutely no memory at all of what I put up for him. Probably means it was a 57 on a stick... All I remember is that I had no trouble getting plenty of level out of him, it wasn't hard to make him happy with the monitor, and he asked for a little compression.

Maybe he had a 98 or an AT35 on a clip?

A lot of people playing flute prefer a SM58. I've had several ask for it.
I would assume that is when the flute is miced at the mouthpiece-so when you "blow into it" you don't the problems you do with a condenser being blown into.

People often think you should mic the end of a flute-but if you think of it as a tuned pipe (that the finger positions are changing the tuning) and the mouthpiece is where it is being excited at-then you realize the mouth piece is the place to mic it. Like blowing across a soda bottle.

You are correct, sir. Those who don't use a 58 likely use a "mount on the flute" mic. DPA has one, I think, and AKG as well.

Audix too.

I use SM86 or SM58 typically anymore, although I used a Crown CM700 sdc for a long time(great sound, just easier in pub gigs to use the first two).

Ivan, oboe and bassoon may have been used in war to scare the enemy, but we all know who the champ is for that...

Edinburgh Military Tattoo Massed Pipes and Drums - YouTube

Best regards,

John

Audix too.

I use SM86 or SM58 typically anymore, although I used a Crown CM700 sdc for a long time(great sound, just easier in pub gigs to use the first two).

Ivan, oboe and bassoon may have been used in war to scare the enemy, but we all know who the champ is for that...

Edinburgh Military Tattoo Massed Pipes and Drums - YouTube

Best regards,

John

Audix......yup. That's the one I was thinking of. I new it started with an "A".