"I need my acoustic in the subs"

Re: "I need my acoustic in the subs"

Kudos to you, Mr. Lynch, for turning two bad situations around - the technical skills and mostly, the people skills - the maturity to stick it out.

And Bennett's last post was directly on point. In the world of text...

Nice to read good news!

frank

Willy Porter, Leo Kottke, Adrian Legg, Michael Gulezian, John Doyle, Michael Chapdelaine, Michael Whisler...

Prime example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u55G1VGuTfs

If an acoustic guitar player wants his guitar in the subs I put it in the subs and let their talent decide. Not decide because of any preconceived notions I have.

Just because an acoustic guitar player has pedals doesn't mean he's a moron.

How do you know he didn't want it to sound like a kick drum?

I understand it may not sound the way YOU like it, but last I remembered its the artists sound that we're trying to recreate, not what we like.

I'm not saying you're wrong, as the artist may indeed be a moron. But I am saying your bullshit preconceived notion about not putting an acoustic guitar in the subs is absolutely wrong.

As audio prefessionals, we also have to consider what is appropriate for the venue/setting. I have worked at this church enough to know what the music Pastor wants and he knows I'm not just a fader monkey who will just set back and let bad things happen no matter what the "artist" wants. I probably shouldn't call him a moron....just in-experienced. I guess that's why they often ask me to run FOH.

The Thursday night music format is medium volume acoustic contemporary P&W. So I think any of us would have the same reaction as I did when a kid, knowing the music format, comes walking in with an acoustic and a 2 man pedal board. It's kinda like somebody bringing in a double Marshall stack for a small bluegrass band. I'll bet you would go "oh crap"

Picture this.....he wanted the 2 double 18 subs under the stage powered by ITechs turned up enough so he could "feel" the floor vibrate while playing an acoustic guitar. You don't have to be there to know what it must have sounded like. If his show required beat box acoustic that needed to sound like a kick drum, that's what I would have set it up for. But it didn't. There has to be a point in which the FOH person has to draw the line and say no. I can't sit back and just give an artist everything they ask for knowing it sounds bad. But we can do it in a way that keeps every body happy and gets the job done.

I had an original rock act this past spring that had NO BASS GUITAR. Instead, the lead vocalist played an acoustic with some sort of octave divider to cover the Bass lines. And it actually didn't sound bad at all. Of course the Acoustic went to the subs!

Sounds (no pun intended) to me that you did the right thing Jamin. In my small world of traveling and playing in churches your lucky to even have decent mains yet alone subs. What does mr. sub harmonics do then? Perhaps the "butkicker" on a stool is a great idea for this aritist! lol
I remember the first time doing a outside outreach with a very talk talented acoustic guitar player. I was fiddling around with the EQ, and at the time I was running Aux fed subs. Well short story, put alittle of his old Taylor in the subs and wow, we both were suprised.
Anyway I always set my high pass filters on guitars with full bands and even during solo artist events I start out with the high pass filter engaged and then move to full range to see if its an improvement. I guess it also depends on the guitars too.

If a guitarist can't 'feel' their instrument 'enough', I think there are bigger problems to deal with :razz:.

Lack of fingers perhaps? Maybe they should consider a switch to electric guitar and death metal with 4 Marshal stacks. The church thing ain't working.

Greg