ice, ice, baby

Re: ice, ice, baby

Maybe some of you guys can tell me what the hell this is growing on my trees. Yikes!!
icon_lol.gif

This isn't supposed to happen down here. I guess I need to move farther south.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Yup, the deep south does not deal well with winter weather... yesterday was my basketball day, when I drive 25 miles each way for my pick up game. I had a few errands so I went in a little early. My windshield iced up immediately, so I had to wait for my heater to warm up. I don't even own an ice scraper these days. Once I get to town I find the barber shop, and oil change place closed, despite open signs everywhere. At least the bank was still open (and the gym
icon_biggrin.gif
). Apparently a little sleet and freezing rain, freaked out the locals, who bailed.

Driving home that night, the bridges and overpasses were iced up, but as long as you don't do anything stupid you come out the other side in the same lane and pointed in the same direction. Apparently that was too much for many to handle as I saw the residue of several accidents on my short ride home, even one guy down in the middle of the median pointed the wrong way. I had to be careful not to rear end a bunch of folks who slowed down to a crawl for the bridges and elevated sections. You don't want to brake or change lanes on the ice. I came pretty close to one guy's rear bumper.

As i recall there were incompetent drivers in the snow I had to avoid when I lived up north, so this is nothing new or rare.

JR

As i recall there were incompetent drivers in the snow I had to avoid when I lived up north, so this is nothing new or rare.

JR
Here in the frozen northland the first couple snowstorms are always time for Remedial Winter Driving 101 for a lot of people. In addition to people just forgetting, we have a couple very large immigrant populations coming from places where this isn't common in their home climate, so they get on the job training.

Things generally improve by about the 4th storm of the season, however the traffic consequences remain almost until it's time to start spending every day of the year above freezing fixing potholes caused by the freeze/thaw cycle. We usually get the potholes fixed by about November - just in time for the next pothole season.

We're staying in an extended stay type of place with full kitchens in each room so we're all taking advantage of being able to cook. I could really go for some Thai though so thanks for the heads up.

Hello,

If you like the lobby of the Fisher...you gotta see the Fox Theatre's lobby and Theatre.

In Western Dearborn, there's at least 4 Thai restaurants. Three of which are within a couple of city blocks of each other. They're good too. Just skip the squid ink soup...
icon_cry.gif

Cheers,

Hammer

Seems like a lot of incompetent drivers here in Dallas too.
icon_mad.gif

Hammer

Make that (armed) incompetent drivers....
icon_lol.gif

JR

A driver pulls into a drive-through liquor store in Texas. The guy at the window notices the out of state plates and asks the guy what kind of gun he has. The guy says, ''I don't have a gun.''

Whereupon the clerk hands him a pistol with his order and says, ''This is Texas. You can't go around without a gun!!''