iLive Owners/Users - full fledged iPad app is out

Ryan Lantzy

Junior
Jan 10, 2011
Allegheny Mountains
Hey,

I haven't had a chance to look, but I'm hearing rumours that the full featured iPad app is out for the A&H iLive (not the goofy little iPhone app).

Anyone grabbed it yet? Word is that it crushes the Yamaha iPad app.

Re: iLive Owners/Users - full fledged iPad app is out

Hey,

I haven't had a chance to look, but I'm hearing rumours that the full featured iPad app is out for the A&H iLive (not the goofy little iPhone app).

Anyone grabbed it yet? Word is that it crushes the Yamaha iPad app.

Looks pretty good. Normally I download any new mixer app, just to try it out. This one costs $99.99, so I won't be trying it.

I'll come out and say that I think control apps like this should be free. You can't use it without spending $20K+ on an Allen and Heath mixer. They should at least offer a demo version so people can try it out. My $0.02

The pictures on the App Store look promising. It certainly offers more complete control than the Yamaha app.

I'm tempted to buy it, try it out, and then ask for a refund, saying I thought it was $0.99

Looks pretty good. Normally I download any new mixer app, just to try it out. This one costs $99.99, so I won't be trying it.

I'll come out and say that I think control apps like this should be free. You can't use it without spending $20K+ on an Allen and Heath mixer. They should at least offer a demo version so people can try it out. My $0.02

Yeah, free would be nice.

Here's my take on where they are coming from... Other than time, Java development is pretty much free. I.e. you can use already available resources and OpenSource tools to produce java apps (the iLive editor for Windows is Java based). Development time is of course the most expensive part, but I actually think alot of the code is probably shared between the editor and the iLive UI software... so they probably benefited from a lot of code reuse.

With the iPad app, that's not the case. You need a Mac to develop, and you have to pay the developer's fee (nominal) to publish in the App Store. Moreover, the entire interface probably needed rewritten from scratch... and they needed to develop a TCP/IP control interface (which is published for free). Also, the code is now written in Objective C vs. Java. The iPad app was a big investment for them (as it is really for any of the console makers.

Here's the difference with the iLive: you don't need a surface to use the Mixrack. Therefore, the iPad app has the potential to canabalize iLive surface sales on the lower end. With three options there (R72, T80, and T112) I think they may have been worried.

For the M7, you still need to buy a console to use it. In the iLive world, to get started up, all you'd need to buy is the iDR-16, and an iPad. You probably would already have a PC, and yeah the editor is free... but mixing on a PC is lame. Mixing on an iPad, feesable.

Considering all this, and what they *could* have priced it at... I think $120 isn't awful.

Yeah, free would be nice.

Here's my take on where they are coming from... Other than time, Java development is pretty much free. I.e. you can use already available resources and OpenSource tools to produce java apps (the iLive editor for Windows is Java based). Development time is of course the most expensive part, but I actually think alot of the code is probably shared between the editor and the iLive UI software... so they probably benefited from a lot of code reuse.

With the iPad app, that's not the case. You need a Mac to develop, and you have to pay the developer's fee (nominal) to publish in the App Store. Moreover, the entire interface probably needed rewritten from scratch... and they needed to develop a TCP/IP control interface (which is published for free). Also, the code is now written in Objective C vs. Java. The iPad app was a big investment for them (as it is really for any of the console makers.

Here's the difference with the iLive: you don't need a surface to use the Mixrack. Therefore, the iPad app has the potential to canabalize iLive surface sales on the lower end. With three options there (R72, T80, and T112) I think they may have been worried.

For the M7, you still need to buy a console to use it. In the iLive world, to get started up, all you'd need to buy is the iDR-16, and an iPad. You probably would already have a PC, and yeah the editor is free... but mixing on a PC is lame. Mixing on an iPad, feesable.

Considering all this, and what they *could* have priced it at... I think $120 isn't awful.

I understand that they have costs involved with writing this app (or any software), but I think that adoption will be slow at this price. People are accustomed to getting control software for free with hardware (yamaha mixers, lake processors, Harman products...) I think that Allen & Heath would benefit from the word of mouth that would spread if lots of people could try out the app.

You do make a good point that some iLive users might just use the app instead of buying a second surface like the R72.

I am just comparing it to the other apps. The Presonus App is free, the M7 app is free, even the iLive computer software is free.

If this app is going to cost $99, I think they should release a ''demo'' version that can't be used in a show environment, but will allow people to see how the app works.

It is up to A&H how they price their products. Personally I think this app is too expensive, but that is just my opinion.

I am just comparing it to the other apps. The Presonus App is free, the M7 app is free, even the iLive computer software is free.

Just to re-iterate, I totally understand that. Again, the difference with those products is that all their eggs are in one basket so to speak. If Yamaha or Presonus gave away a billion copies of the app, there would be no cost to them other than the development of the app. For the iLive, the surface is not required. There is already a ''free'' solution to mix on an iLive without a surface but it very weak HMI for this purpose. If they gave away the iPad app (a superior interface) it would mostly likely directly affect their sales of additional consoles, yeilding them nothing. I can't fault them for profiting from the additional flexibility and usability of the iPad app over the desktop software, especially if by giving it away they essentially lose a potential revenue stream. I know exactly what small operators will do with this app. Rather than buy a second surface, they will keep a $500 iPad next to monitor land with a cue wedge or in-ears (Edit: and essentially yeild any profit to Apple). This probably isn't a Varsity solution, but it will be done none-the-less.

Quote: said:
If this app is going to cost $99, I think they should release a ''demo'' version that can't be used in a show environment, but will allow people to see how the app works.

I meant to state this before, I totally agree with you on the demo.

I suppose they could either jack up the price of every iLive component $100, or just charge the 25% of iLive users (obviously guessing here) who want an iPad app for their development costs. I mean, come on. You paid $400+ for the iPad, you paid $20,000 for the iLive, if you need the app, pay for it. You're not complaining about how much the wireless router you'll need costs, are you?

Just to re-iterate, I totally understand that. Again, the difference with those products is that all their eggs are in one basket so to speak. If Yamaha or Presonus gave away a billion copies of the app, there would be no cost to them other than the development of the app. For the iLive, the surface is not required. There is already a ''free'' solution to mix on an iLive without a surface but it very weak HMI for this purpose. If they gave away the iPad app (a superior interface) it would mostly likely directly affect their sales of additional consoles, yeilding them nothing. I can't fault them for profiting from the additional flexibility and usability of the iPad app over the desktop software, especially if by giving it away they essentially lose a potential revenue stream. I know exactly what small operators will do with this app. Rather than buy a second surface, they will keep a $500 iPad next to monitor land with a cue wedge or in-ears (Edit: and essentially yeild any profit to Apple). This probably isn't a Varsity solution, but it will be done none-the-less.

That is certainly a good point. And apparently A&H agrees with you. They certainly know a lot more about selling sound gear than I do
icon_razz.gif

Hopefully A&H's customers will go along with the price, even $100 is not a huge amount (much less than the cost of the iPad itself). If the app was free then thousands of iLive users would download the app today, and they would get a lot of free publicity.

$100 to add a control option to a console? Shoot. Spend more than that on a new gooseneck console light.

I don't mean to say that $100 is a bad deal for the functionality. However some people are accustomed to believing that the control software is part of the hardware that they purchased. I think companies benefit when a potential customer can download the control software to get a better idea of the functionality of a unit. I frequently do this before buying a new product.

It is just my opinion that the benefits of getting this app into the hands of a lot of users would outweigh the costs. People (some of whom don't even own an iLive) would be walking around with portable, interactive advertisements for the iLive. Allen & Heath might gain revenue from new customers who are impressed by the app.

Just to be clear, Allen & Heath doesn't owe me anything, they can sell the app for $8000 if they want. The main point of my original post was to state that this app appears to have a lot of potential.

BTW, this is what the app looks like (with my thick fingers as a reference.

Just to provide a frame of reference from the lighting world. RFU apps to remotely control light boards are not always free. IRRC, ETC charges $40 (which they donate to charity) for theirs and they charge vastly more than that for the computer software to remotely control the board. In there case, this is because they have dedicated hardware to do these tasks and the sales of those items have gone way with the release of the apps/software. I think A&H is probably looking at a similar scenario. They do offer a free app that offer less functionality so I don't think it is unreasonable to charge for a different app that offers more functionality. I work in theatre where $250 countrymans are considered a consumable so I would consider $100 to be a pretty low price for something that would make my life easier (if I ever mixed on iLives). I wouldn't hesitate to fork over this much if Yamaha released a similarly functional app for the M7 and LS9. As someone else said, we spend more than this on the lights for a board, why not for an app.

I suppose they could either jack up the price of every iLive component $100, or just charge the 25% of iLive users (obviously guessing here) who want an iPad app for their development costs. I mean, come on. You paid $400+ for the iPad, you paid $20,000 for the iLive, if you need the app, pay for it. You're not complaining about how much the wireless router you'll need costs, are you?

Exactly.

Especially when there's a free app with some basic functionality (the ''tweak'' app). Everybody with an iPhone/Pad/Pod can try that one out for free.

For me the iLive-App is a professional tool that costs reasonable money. I have yet to be convinced about the price-worthyness of the iPad itself. At the moment it's only 2 apps. (iLive App, StageMix).

So the iLive app would cost me more than a SIM seminar? - No way!

Convince me, Apple!

Exactly.

Especially when there's a free app with some basic functionality (the ''tweak'' app). Everybody with an iPhone/Pad/Pod can try that one out for free.

For me the iLive-App is a professional tool that costs reasonable money. I have yet to be convinced about the price-worthyness of the iPad itself. At the moment it's only 2 apps. (iLive App, StageMix).

So the iLive app would cost me more than a SIM seminar? - No way!

Convince me, Apple!

Having played with the app today I must admit I'm seriously thinking about it.

That is certainly a good point. And apparently A&H agrees with you. They certainly know a lot more about selling sound gear than I do
icon_razz.gif

Hopefully A&H's customers will go along with the price, even $100 is not a huge amount (much less than the cost of the iPad itself). If the app was free then thousands of iLive users would download the app today, and they would get a lot of free publicity.

But it wouldn't sell a single surface...

. If the app was free then thousands of iLive users would download the app today, and they would get a lot of free publicity.

But it wouldn't sell a single surface...

I don't agree. Those who download the app would show it to other people. Some of those people might decide to buy an iLive. That's how advertising works. Word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool in this business.

Hopefully they will come out with some sort of demo version of the program so they can reap the benefits of advertising without losing any sales.

not terribly long ago i spec'd a varicurve remote for our company's varicurve/omnidrive driveracks. it was wireless via an analog wireless system [uni-directional only] that we had to provide ourselves and only controlled our eq's and crossovers. it had no other functionality.

as i recall, it was well over 2 grand. i do recall that when we laid our eyes on it we couldn't write the check fast enough.

so now we have full on wireless bi-directional control of every parameter of your console for 100 bucks. okay 700 bucks if you include the iPad, which of course can be used for dozens of other things.

seriously? this is too expensive?

brian 'yes, good things cost money' maddox