iLive Owners/Users - full fledged iPad app is out

Re: iLive Owners/Users - full fledged iPad app is out

Can you use the Idr16 with iPad alone? Meaning no computer or other control surface ?

Yes.

sort of. If you don't need to cue any channels or recall any scenes.

The only thing needed missing from the app that we found so far is the ability to pan channels in a stereo aux. Still working through it. It is pretty easy to use. I think I would rather use it than the editor for the things it can do.

The argument that the iPad app costs money to produce has merit, but when other manufacturers are giving it away theirs for free, questions need to be asked as to why. The idea that they charge to prevent you from not buying a console is pretty far fetched. You still have to buy their hardware, which costs more than other digital boards that include the apps for free.

What happened is A&H decided that the money made off of charging for the app would be more important than the negative press from the charge. Most people that use the iLive system are ok with $100. Those that think that's too expensive probably don't own iLive gear to start with, as it's not cheap entry level gear.

While I agree that getting the software into more hands would do more good than bad, it's not what they decided.

The argument that the iPad app costs money to produce has merit, but when other manufacturers are giving it away theirs for free, questions need to be asked as to why. The idea that they charge to prevent you from not buying a console is pretty far fetched. You still have to buy their hardware, which costs more than other digital boards that include the apps for free.

What happened is A&H decided that the money made off of charging for the app would be more important than the negative press from the charge. Most people that use the iLive system are ok with $100. Those that think that's too expensive probably don't own iLive gear to start with, as it's not cheap entry level gear.

While I agree that getting the software into more hands would do more good than bad, it's not what they decided.

Plain and simple, if you're running a legitimate business then the $100 is just another expense. If you're average weekend-warrior Joe, you're going to make a big stink about $100, but the people making their living doing this realize that the companies making the consoles have to make a living too.

Would you rather see Allen & Heath out of business, or would you rather pay $100?

Sure, they probably aren't going to go out of business giving the app away for free. But maybe they won't dedicate the same resources and time and effort to the project if they're not charging.

Would you rather have a crappy, useless app for free or pay $100 for something genuinely useful? I'd pay every time.

<font size="1">This is how I see the sound market today, also, but that's another story.</font>

Plain and simple, if you're running a legitimate business then the $100 is just another expense. If you're average weekend-warrior Joe, you're going to make a big stink about $100, but the people making their living doing this realize that the companies making the consoles have to make a living too.

The main problem that I see is that they are asking you to spend $100 based on a couple screen shots. This is a common problem in the App store. I'll pay $0.99 for an app that looks promising based on the screenshots, but not much more.

Hopefully they will offer a demo version of the program, so people can try before they buy.

So has anyone tried this app yet? I know Bennett said he saw it a trade show, I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried it on a show.

The main problem that I see is that they are asking you to spend $100 based on a couple screen shots. This is a common problem in the App store. I'll pay $0.99 for an app that looks promising based on the screenshots, but not much more.

Hopefully they will offer a demo version of the program, so people can try before they buy.

I have no idea how i-anything works, nor will I ever care.

That said, on Droid there is a return policy, full refund in 15 minutes. Sure, it's not much time, but you should be able to determine if you want to keep it within that window.

I'd certainly hope that Apple would do the same.

The simple fact is Allen and Heath and Presonus released their iPad apps on almost exactly the same day. There are threads about each app on this forum. The studiolive thread is mostly about the actual app, and the functions it does and doesn't have. This thread is mostly about the cost of the app. There is no demo version, so we can't really ascertain the functional qualities of the iLive app. The only subject to discuss is the price.

Based on the limitations of the Studiolive hardware (no flying faders, no recallable headamps) I believe the iLive app will be much better. However I don't know yet, because I can't talk to someone who has used the app.

Am I the only person who downloads control software for a device before I touch the real hardware. What if a BE is traveling with just an iPad? He may want to peruse the features of your iLive in advance. The Tweak app doesn't show many of the features of the mixer so it is useless for this purpose.

Also when people talk about lost sales of surfaces, I have to ask how much this $99 is going to offset the cost of $8,000-$15,000 surfaces.

Finally if I owned an iLive, I would not hesitate to spend $99 on this app. I would like a demo first though. I didn't buy a tablet until I had actually used the studio manager software.

So I'm going to change my original statement and say that control software should have some sort of demo available. This goes back to the days of the third party controllers for the original 01V and 02R (I can't even remember the names anymore virtualizer and some french program for the Mac.) These companies made 100% of their profit from sales of the software. They still offered demo versions so that people could ''try before they buy.''

So has anyone tried this app yet? I know Bennett said he saw it a trade show, I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried it on a show.

I grabbed an iPad of a colleague from Austria who was in town, trying the app out in demo mode while having a nice coffee.

It's multi touch, multi-mix, user layer. Plus all relevant channel / mix processing. Nice. I still haven't used it on a show.

During the dry test we compared the iLive and the M7CL apps (makes sense):

iLive app: more processing features, channels are scrollable.

StageMix: faders seem easier to grab in a stage hurry, channels in groups of 8.

One thing I really like about the m7app is the ''meterbridge'' across the top of the screen. How does the ilive app compare? Is there a meterbridge or meters page?

Also when people talk about lost sales of surfaces, I have to ask how much this $99 is going to offset the cost of $8,000-$15,000 surfaces.

Because before you had to buy the surface?

??? They have had a free control software for laptop for a longtime. That application offers much more comprehensive control than this app.

This app and a stagebox are hardly useable without a surface or a PC.

P.S. Before the 5D you had to a buy a PM1D for 48 channel digital. Yamaha seems to have survived. Before the M7 you had to buy the 5D, somehow Yamaha has survived. Sometime high volume at lower price beats high profit at lower volume.

Maybe a demo that simply can not connect to a mixrack. That would be enough for BEs to and for companies that own iLive hardware to check it out.

The SAC demo is fully functional, except the audio drops out every few minutes, making it useless for a real show. It seems like it wouldn't take long to program the iLive (demo) app to mute all channels every 5 minutes. In this way they could make a fully functional demo, without risk of someone using it for a real show. This way a user could test range, latency, and user interface.

Other demos are full functioning, but only work for 30 days.

Is the software over TCP/IP so you could use it on a tablet? Then yeah, the iPad software probably isn't going to cost them any surface sales. The SAC people will love it, though.

It is definitely TCP/IP. I have not used a tablet with the iLive personally.

I don't know anything about their sales numbers, but I think that most of the sales of mixrack (without surface) will be to new customers, who would have bought something else. I also think that most of the current users will still want to have a surface, even if they use the app sometimes. I can see where a few owners, who have bigger surfaces, might use this app instead of buying an R72, but I don't think those lost sales will hurt as much as the increased sales will help.

Another issue with the cost of the app is multiple engineers who work for a company with a single iLive. When you can't go out with a rig it is nice if the system tech has their own computer. Lake is great example of this. Every engineer at the company can have the lake control software on their PC, and every PC that the company owns can have the software. If I don't the software I can even download it the night before.

Something I hadn't considered is churches who want to use iPads as Aviom. I'm sure A&H will be happy to collect $99 from each member of the praise team that owns an iPad. 1 iLive could actually add up to $1000 in app sales.