Immersive Video Projection Melding with Event Decor Lighting

Bonnie Lackey

Freshman
Feb 8, 2012
Seattle, Washington
All you have to do is watch the Super Bowl half time show or this year's Oscar's to see video is being used where we might have used lighting in the past. If you will email me and share how you are using video with lighting I will be happy to share how we used them for such things as a shadow dancing effect and at a concert. Here is a small peek Decor Lighting and Video

I look forward to seeing what your company is doing.

Bonnie Lackey
PSAV - Northwest Branch Office
[email protected]

Immersive Video Projection Melding with Event Decor Lighting

I posted this also on the video forum:

All you have to do is watch the Super Bowl half time show or this year's Oscar's to see video is being used where we might have used lighting in the past. If you will email me and share how you are using video with lighting I will be happy to share how we used them for such things as a shadow dancing effect and at a concert. Here is a small peek Decor Lighting and Video

Bonnie Lackey
[email protected]

Re: Immersive Video Projection Melding with Event Decor Lighting

What is this a sales pitch?
(edit)
My mistake after closer reading it appears you are trying to help others with some projection techniques.
{edit edit)....wait a minute its in the lighting forum as well get outta here.

Last edited:

My friend Ben -- I have been in the industry for 34 years. Why would I advertise to my competitors? Why would I share what I am doing if I was afraid my competitors would take my ideas? With an employment change I now have access to the use of video. Our technicians are demonstrating to me some ideas of how to use video with lighting. After sitting through a session with King Dahl it has opened my mind to this craft and I'm looking for how others are also using it. My work load is full. How about yours? Bonnie

Hi Ben: Absolutely no problem. So what are you working on? Have you thought about blending video and lighting? How do you get your inspiration? I love to look at fabric, architecture, paintings, etc. I used some of these techniques with a 18,000 seat concert in January. How about you?

Hi Bonnie! I sent you an E-mail. This is an area we too are exploring. It is kind of interesting that it is perceived as a video only by some or a lighting only by others. I believe it has as much merit in the Lighting as well as they are merged by this concept. If someone has been in lighting a long time or video for a long time, I believe it tends to "work against" how they may view this until they clear their minds of how thing are (or were) done up till now.

Bonnie Lackey
[email protected]

Bonnie,

Let me address specifically something in your link publicly here in the forum that I would like to see a discussion about. Namely that the video and lighting integration techniques like one shown on your demo page, and most of those I have seen out in the world, have pretty substantial color temperature and/or CRI issues when you transition from conventionals to movers to video, and at all points in between.

Do you manage these color temperature issues? If so, how? How will this specific area improve/degrade over time.

People want to showcase these combined effects as neat options, but all I see, and I suspect all that most LDs see, too, is the stark color temperature transitions.

Hi Guys, My lighting crew has been experimenting with 3D projection mapping. This link is a great example of what can be done. It was not done by us but rather shown to me to justify the software purchase we just made. If they can get our projectors to do even 1/4 of this it was money well spent. Enjoy! Epic light show at home - YouTube

Hi Guys, My lighting crew has been experimenting with 3D projection mapping. This link is a great example of what can be done. It was not done by us but rather shown to me to justify the software purchase we just made. If they can get our projectors to do even 1/4 of this it was money well spent. Enjoy! Epic light show at home - YouTube

I assume you've seen this?

2011 Sugar Land New Years Eve 3D Projection Mapping - YouTube

This is the City Hall of Sugarland Texas. Hence dropping the "sugar cube" instead of the ball.

Hi Phil:

Such a great and a continuous discussion in our office (especially by our lighting designers). Thank you for bringing it to the table. What are your thoughts on this? I will write something and post our ideas on some solutions.

Hi Phil:

Such a great and a continuous discussion in our office (especially by our lighting designers). Thank you for bringing it to the table. What are your thoughts on this? I will write something and post our ideas on some solutions.

Bonnie,

Since I've spent time working in optics labs, interviewed with a major LED manufacturer, and digested a large fraction of the science literature on halide lamps for graduate school, I hope for technological solutions.

In the present, though, I'm not an LD, but have to be conversant in that space when dealing with clients and potential clients. In the lighting space one can use a dichroic gobo to color match the typical moving fixture to the conventional fixtures. Or one can proceed the other way with color matching gels.

People also seem to accept the color temperature mismatch, and use it as a contrast element. Usually I see the moving heads cooler than the conventionals. In these cases the movers aren't being used as part of the wash environment, so the contrast can be useful to punch things up.

I'm not sure any of these techniques are applicable in the environment where you are trying to blend the two lighting schemes, unless you can put color temperature matching dichroics in the video-producing fixtures.

Bonnie,

Since I've spent time working in optics labs, interviewed with a major LED manufacturer, and digested a large fraction of the science literature on halide lamps for graduate school, I hope for technological solutions.

In the present, though, I'm not an LD, but have to be conversant in that space when dealing with clients and potential clients. In the lighting space one can use a dichroic gobo to color match the typical moving fixture to the conventional fixtures. Or one can proceed the other way with color matching gels.

People also seem to accept the color temperature mismatch, and use it as a contrast element. Usually I see the moving heads cooler than the conventionals. In these cases the movers aren't being used as part of the wash environment, so the contrast can be useful to punch things up.

I'm not sure any of these techniques are applicable in the environment where you are trying to blend the two lighting schemes, unless you can put color temperature matching dichroics in the video-producing fixtures.

The bigger issue isn't matching CCT, but matching how a specific multicolored object is rendered by a particular light source. CCT (and du'v') can be pretty easily corrected with filters, but getting the full spectrum to match is much harder. Fun experiment that illustrates this at a logical extreme: Take your favorite "white light" source and shine it on a matte white surface. Now take an RGB fixture and shine it on the same surface, next to the white light source. Adjust the RGB values until the 2 lights match. Now, take a multicolored object and place it in the beams of these two fixtures. Note how it looks completely different in the 2 different light sources.

Filtration tends to work best when the spectra in question are continuous. So filtered incandescent and arc sources can match daylight pretty well (and vice versa), but metal halide, fluorescent, and LED sources don't do quite so well because of the peaks in the spectra (blue in the case of LED, multiple peaks for MH and fluorescent, depending on the phosphor and halide mixes). In theory, these peaks can also be eliminated with filters, but in practice that's very inefficient and hard to accomplish. Mixing multiple source types helps, and the eye is pretty forgiving compared to video. Deliberately contrasting sources also tends to help hide the differences.

The bigger issue isn't matching CCT, but matching how a specific multicolored object is rendered by a particular light source. CCT (and du'v') can be pretty easily corrected with filters, but getting the full spectrum to match is much harder. Fun experiment that illustrates this at a logical extreme: Take your favorite "white light" source and shine it on a matte white surface. Now take an RGB fixture and shine it on the same surface, next to the white light source. Adjust the RGB values until the 2 lights match. Now, take a multicolored object and place it in the beams of these two fixtures. Note how it looks completely different in the 2 different light sources.

Exactly my point in alluding to CRI. When interviewing with your competitor (Cree) they've got a nice in lobby demo that highlights essentially this factor.

Bonnie, I don't know if you've seen this yet, but it's pretty cool. Tom Hayes posted about it on SynAudCon back in mid-February.

By the way, how are things out in the NW?