Impedance question on double 15 with a horn

Re: Impedance question on double 15 with a horn

What's the port tuned to? You are aware that it's asymmetrical and is going to load the two woofers differently, right? Ports should generally load both woofers the same...so they should be in the middle, or at both ends. The way you have it set up, you will probably blow the bottom woofer way before the top one. This was actually a Community-recognized problem with the RS880/SLS980.

Also, if you did actually tune the port to something useful, adding a pile of bracing is going to change the enclosure volume, possibly by an amount significant enough to affect tuning.

I used this when programing.

US Speaker - Eminence Speaker Cabinet Design Software for designing professional speaker cabinets.

I don't plan on ever going below 80-90 hz on this box, will there be a issue with the port being on the bottom?

Box's are getting there.

View attachment 3691

Hi Allen,
Here’s the catch – a double 15 and horn will not work “correctly” unless you can cross the15’s over at about 500Hz. That’s why cinema systems do that, and that’s why EAW also have a pair of 7” drivers in the LA325 … and that’s one of the reasons (the 2 x 7”) that you like the sound of the EAW.
The problem you have is that a horn that will fit in your box will not be large enough to cross that low, and you don't have any mid drivers that cover 420 Hz to 2kHz (as aguess) like the EAW.
Your box will work, but it will have some serious performance compromises no matter what you do, particularly with respect to its polar response.
…anyway I hope what you come up with suits your needs.

Hi Allen,
Here’s the catch – a double 15 and horn will not work “correctly” unless you can cross the15’s over at about 500Hz. That’s why cinema systems do that, and that’s why EAW also have a pair of 7” drivers in the LA325 … and that’s one of the reasons (the 2 x 7”) that you like the sound of the EAW.
The problem you have is that a horn that will fit in your box will not be large enough to cross that low, and you don't have any mid drivers that cover 420 Hz to 2kHz (as aguess) like the EAW.
Your box will work, but it will have some serious performance compromises no matter what you do, particularly with respect to its polar response.

What about all the other double 15 box's out there that don't have a 6'' mids?

This is somewhat of experiment, yes. When I put the faitals in the 4733 box I liked the sound better of the faitals, but the jbl horns still,,, sucked,,,,. So now I'm using the faitals and a eaw horn, to see if it does what I want.

Also the la325 is a low output box, 600w full range, sounds great, but not as loud as a 4733. So if my box works, sound decent, and can take more power without the worry of blowing crossovers or 6'' mids, 15's, like in the 325 I will use these box's for lets say the louder less accurate, wana rip your head off bands I do.

If they don't work, big bon fire I guess. :lol:

What about all the other double 15 box's out there that don't have a 6'' mids?

All those other boxes have horns in them designed for those frequencies. The high frequency wave guide from an LA325 was not designed for mid range frequencies, that is what the dual 6 inch drivers are for. I don't know whether or not the wave guide (they carefully don't call it a horn) does the same efficiency inducing acoustic impedance matching that a true horn would.

Also the la325 is a low output box, 600w full range, sounds great, but not as loud as a 4733. So if my box works, sound decent, and can take more power without the worry of blowing crossovers or 6'' mids, 15's, like in the 325 I will use these box's for lets say the louder less accurate, wana rip your head off bands I do.

If they don't work, big bon fire I guess. :lol:

Since the mid/hi section was the limiting factor in the power handling of the LA325, I don't see how eliminating the bigger power handling part of it gets you a higher power box, or a box with more output.

Mac

There's also the issue of combing caused in double 15 boxes where the 15s go up to high and uncouple due to the shorter wavelengths of the mids. I know JBL on some of their double 15 + horn boxes put a low pass filter on the second 15 to roll them off at a lower frequency to avoid that issue. So unless you're horn is solid down to 400-500Hz, and you low pass your dual 15s there, you're going to have some issues.

Hi Allen,

This is actually a big deal. I recently built a pair of dual 12's. The 12's started falling apart above 1k, and getting pretty beamy. Luckily, I had a big ass horn on the cabs to cover down to 750hz, and the transition was actually very nice. I'll be curious how your cabs perform. Do you have SMAART?

Evan

The faital will go to 1.2 kh. The 4733 x over point along with the srx 725 is 1.2k.

I used these faitals in 4733's with the internal crossover at 1.2 kh, sounded fine, now I'm just replacing the jbl horn with a eaw.

No I don't have smart.

I'm curious to see how they sound also, but the waveguides and brackets that I 3 dayed aired 6 days ago are not here yet, and the crossovers are not do till mid next week.

The faital will go to 1.2 kh. The 4733 x over point along with the srx 725 is 1.2k.

I used these faitals in 4733's with the internal crossover at 1.2 kh, sounded fine, now I'm just replacing the jbl horn with a eaw.

No I don't have smart.

I'm curious to see how they sound also, but the waveguides and brackets that I 3 dayed aired 6 days ago are not here yet, and the crossovers are not do till mid next week.
It is one thing to sound good on axis. But what happens when you move off axis. There are more people off axis than on axis-normally.

As freq goes up all drivers get more beamy-including HF drivers. That is why smaller drivers are often used-because they can be run higher in freq and still maintain a wide dispertion.

It will be interesting how well the crossovers respond to different drivers than they were designed for-all that impedance and amplitude "stuff".

This is actually a big deal. I recently built a pair of dual 12's. The 12's started falling apart above 1k, and getting pretty beamy. Luckily, I had a big ass horn on the cabs to cover down to 750hz, and the transition was actually very nice. I'll be curious how your cabs perform. Do you have SMAART?

Evan
That darn wavelength size vs freq thingy.

Time to fire them up, Im not using the jbl crossovers, just going off the driverack pa. Crest 9200 on the 15's, and a 8200 on the waveguides003.jpg004.jpg

Well they work well. Set them up, ran some pink noise through them, played with x over points,,,,,.

There are no holes or comb filtering if I'm saying this right, like when I had the faitals in a 4733 with the jbl horn, or when there were 2226's in the 4733's also.