Inadequate Sub Power For a Venue... Tips/Tricks/Help

Re: Inadequate Sub Power For a Venue... Tips/Tricks/Help

As far as Him paying for repairs, it could cost me my job, as he obviously doesn't have the understanding that he needs on this stuff. Even if the band brings an engineer that destroys everything, well my ass is still on the line I suppose because I "Let" it happen, by not having the proper tools to work with. And I understand what you mean. Ive been trying to explain why the 50A breakers to the 20A plugs on our "Distros" are a bad idea for the last couple years.:roll:

Left the amp in the cabinet. It has an NL2 on the back and an option to run active, or passive. For the crossover......................... I just take a 31 band, and the parametric on the output on the board and turn them basically into into one 30dB crossover. Its about all I can do with it. The x32 doesnt have an adequate crossover built in.
WRONG WRONG WRONG

So you are responsible if he tells you to do something that is "stupid" I would leave the sub amps alone. AT LEAST they did no blow up last year.

If you want to pretty much insure that not only do you add greater possibility to blowing up the subs-you are also guaranteeing that they will sound worse in the process.

Without a processor-GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Of course just having a processor does not mean that the sound will be right-you HAVE to have it setup properly. You cannot turn an eq into a crossover.

yes it will do "something" but nothing like a real crossover.

A NL2 jack????? How cheap can you get. That means you cannot plug a NL4 cable into it. At least if the jack is an NL4 you can still plug an NL2 cable into it.

I guess they tried to save every penny they could. Makes you wonder about the rest of the cabinet---------------

It really sounds as if you are in a no win situation.

If you will be blamed-I suggest you clamp down on the limiters (OH YEAH you don't have a DSP----------) and just tell the bands that if you let it get any louder you will lose your job.

Then tell them to complain to your boss. Of course that may lose you job also---------------

There appears to be a lot of "misunderstanding" on the bosses part here-so sorry----------

Okay, so before someone corrects me on this. The X32 appearently does have a crossover on the Matrix outs. Just the Matrix outs though. Guess I could use one of those. Still doesn't fix all the other problems though.

photo (6).jpg

Attachments

• photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 0

Hi Nick, I'm probably more familiar with your situation than most of the people here. I feel your pain. All I can recommend is hang in there, play the cards you are dealt until you are ready to move on and don't blow anything up!:uhoh: You already have a great start in this business for your age and it will get better.

Last edited:

Left the amp in the cabinet. It has an NL2 on the back and an option to run active, or passive.
Are you sure about that? The current info on the manufacturers website indicates the Speakon connector is to use the internal amplifiers to drive an additional unpowered speaker cabinet. If the model you have is different than the model currently displayed on the website my apologies but I point this out because I have never seen an active speaker with an option to utilize an external amplifier.

Are you sure about that? The current info on the manufacturers website indicates the Speakon connector is to use the internal amplifiers to drive an additional unpowered speaker cabinet. If the model you have is different than the model currently displayed on the website my apologies but I point this out because I have never seen an active speaker with an option to utilize an external amplifier.
I have never seen that either.

I would bet that the NL2 jack is in parallel with the existing woofer AND amplifier.

So simply plugging an external amp into that jack (without disconnecting the internal amp) is asking for trouble and possibly damage to BOTH amplifiers.

But HEY-the boss "knows" what he wants-so let's assume he knows what he is doing/suggesting-but I doubt it. :(

I have never seen that either.

I would bet that the NL2 jack is in parallel with the existing woofer AND amplifier.

So simply plugging an external amp into that jack (without disconnecting the internal amp) is asking for trouble and possibly damage to BOTH amplifiers.

But HEY-the boss "knows" what he wants-so let's assume he knows what he is doing/suggesting-but I doubt it. :(

I've never pulled it apart to find out. Thats not my job, therefore not my problem either. and hmmm..... maybe thats why the last set of external amps he put on them all blew on the first job out. Always thought they just weren't powerful enough, though they were all used XTI 1000's, so that is easily possible too. :roll: Also to correct myself, it's an NL4 not an NL2.

TVi Audio - Line Array & Loudspeaker Solutions | C-218-12 Overview
"All C-218-12 enclosures are equipped with a removable back panel that can be disconnected and replaced by an internal TVi two channel “Class D” power amplifier module. [...] One amplified C-218-12 subwoofer enclosure will also power one additional non-powered C-218-12 subwoofer enclosure by daisy chaining an NL4 cable."

My assumption on reading the OP was that they had pulled the amps and replaced them with the passive back panel - but then again stoopid is as stoopid does ;) .

TVi Audio - Line Array & Loudspeaker Solutions | C-218-12 Overview
"All C-218-12 enclosures are equipped with a removable back panel that can be disconnected and replaced by an internal TVi two channel “Class D” power amplifier module. [...] One amplified C-218-12 subwoofer enclosure will also power one additional non-powered C-218-12 subwoofer enclosure by daisy chaining an NL4 cable."

My assumption on reading the OP was that they had pulled the amps and replaced them with the passive back panel - but then again stoopid is as stoopid does ;) .

These are their older series fly subs. The cabinet is the same as the new ones, but the amp is different. I would love to provide you guys with the info on the amp, but that is proving to be hard because TVI Discontinued them and the info is no longer available on their site. Or anywhere. I don't have the model number of the amp on hand either. The subs came from TVI with these amps already installed.

Inadequate Sub Power For a Venue... Tips/Tricks/Help

It sounds like that NL4 jack is in parallel with the internal amp. This means your external amp is powering an 8 ohm speaker (or 4 ohm or whatever) in parallel with what could be for all practical purposes.... a dead short (the output stage of the other amp). Not only will your external amps not last long, when you find one that does, it will make for some pretty warm cables.

These are their older series fly subs. The cabinet is the same as the new ones, but the amp is different. I would love to provide you guys with the info on the amp, but that is proving to be hard because TVI Discontinued them and the info is no longer available on their site. Or anywhere. I don't have the model number of the amp on hand either. The subs came from TVI with these amps already installed.

Why don't you go to the shop and tear one apart?

Because he has to wait until they blow from the external amps before he'll have a valid excuse to the "boss"
But it sounds as if HE would be blamed by the boss for "doing it wrong".

I suggest he get the "boss" to hook up the amp and drive it hard for awhile to see what happens-that way he won't be blamed for "letting it happen" at a show.

Sound like quite the lose-lose situation. It'd be nice if he could use his experience to get a job with a real sound company but I suspect his present one has a bad enough rep that it would be tough...

Sound like quite the lose-lose situation. It'd be nice if he could use his experience to get a job with a real sound company but I suspect his present one has a bad enough rep that it would be tough...

I feel an intervention coming on... :roll:

But it sounds as if HE would be blamed by the boss for "doing it wrong".

I suggest he get the "boss" to hook up the amp and drive it hard for awhile to see what happens-that way he won't be blamed for "letting it happen" at a show.

No. Those subs and amps are part of "My" system. as he refers to it as. He won't take them with him. He uses the internal amps. The 2 crest amps in their seperate 2 space plastic gator racks are to heavy. :lol:

I feel an intervention coming on... :roll:

They may not have the best rep to the other companies in the area, but I more or less do. I've clashed paths with a few of their owners out on jobs. They've seen me work, what I do, and how/how well I personally do it. My age of 17 plays the biggest problem in it.